Jon McLaughlin

der_hammer10

8 games out of 11 in the League this season JM has been in goals, and we have conceded just 3 times. He has made some big stops in those games as well.

It’s pretty unthinkable coming into this season that McGregor would only have played 3 league games and Rangers would be in the position that we are after 11 matches.

Feel like Jon’s part to play so far has been a bit under appreciated, with our defensive record plaudits going particularly to Goldson and Helander. Will he come back in on Sunday with McGregor playing against Liege?

There are now absolutely zero worries if he does, whereas before I would have been bricking it being without McGregor, given how good he is.

8 games out of 11 in the League this season JM has been in goals, and we have conceded just 3 times. He has made some big stops in those games as well.

It’s pretty unthinkable coming into this season that McGregor would only have played 3 league games and Rangers would be in the position that we are after 11 matches.

Feel like Jon’s part to play so far has been a bit under appreciated, with our defensive record plaudits going particularly to Goldson and Helander. Will he come back in on Sunday with McGregor playing against Liege?

There are now absolutely zero worries if he does, whereas before I would have been bricking it being without McGregor, given how good he is.
Certainly not under appreciated. Been a rock when he's come in and thats been recognised.
He has only conceded 2 in the league and arguably 1 shouldn't have stood.
Its going to be a long season and everyone will have their part to play.
Think he may start on Sunday as can see McGregor getting a rest.

Are the injury issues McGregor has had this season the reason he doesn't seem to be taking by kicks and sending them long? He's been playing them to a defender in our box usually Goldson most games. Led to that great move and goal against Galatasaray but against Leverkusen it was playing us into trouble constantly imo.

Definitely not under appreciated as everyone was singing his praises. I don't like chopping and changing the keeper and I would actually have kept him in goals.

He has been a far better signing than I ever imagined he would be. Next year he will be number 1 for sure

Expect McGregor to start tomorrow and McLaughlin on Sunday. Basically McGregor being kept fit and ready for the bigger games, with a very able deputy ready to step in for what look like more routine matches. It's a good position to be in. Keeps them both sharp and match ready.

Are the injury issues McGregor has had this season the reason he doesn't seem to be taking by kicks and sending them long? He's been playing them to a defender in our box usually Goldson most games. Led to that great move and goal against Galatasaray but against Leverkusen it was playing us into trouble constantly imo.
No that's just how we play.

If you go back and review the games, the outfield players do deserve the lions share of the plaudits.

We went through a spell where we limited the opposition to less than 1 shot on target per game.

Like most i dont think he's been under appreciated. I do , however , feel sorry for him losing his place after some solid displays and it must be a difficult decision for SG .

I'm just delighted , for the first time in a long time , we have two goalkeepers we can rely on , and its no longer a worry if one is out for any particular game .

Tricky one for Gerrard to manage.

I'd be giving McLaughlin all domestic cup games at minimum. Deserves to play a part on previous showings.
I think Gerrard will make sure this is managed.
I don’t think it’ll be as prescriptive as cup v league but McLaughlin will get plenty game time.
McGregor will be rested.

McLaughlin was partly at fault for Hibs’ first at Easter Road, a goal you can’t help feeling McGregor might have stopped, and hasn’t had a sniff since.

Up until then I thought he was excellent.

McLaughlin was partly at fault for Hibs’ first at Easter Road, a goal you can’t help feeling McGregor might have stopped, and hasn’t had a sniff since.

Up until then I thought he was excellent.
I wouldn’t say “at fault” but you’re right that McGregor might have stopped.

JM will get plenty of game time which will benefit us by keeping AM fit, fresh and healthy. Great to have 2 keepers of their class.

Tricky one for Gerrard to manage.

I'd be giving McLaughlin all domestic cup games at minimum. Deserves to play a part on previous showings.
Personally I don't think that's enough. His performances warrant more inclusion.

McLaughlin is better for games like livi at Ibrox coming up, hes faster and better with ball to feet so better playing out from the back.

Both will play a decent amount of games this season, I expect McLaughlin in on sunday

Reactions: fmp
Certainly not under appreciated. Been a rock when he's come in and thats been recognised.
A rest?

He's played one game in the last 2 and a half weeks, and even then he did %^*& all!!

Nice problem to have. We have two keepers we are happy with. I'd play McGregor in the Euros and big games for sure and give JM the smaller sides and cup games. McGregor will only be around another year or so.

Anything more games like last Sunday and a rest is the last thing he needs. :))

McGregor is the better keeper.
They are better at different things.

McGregor is probably a better shot stopper but McLaughlin is much better than Foderingham.
McLaughlin is better at distribution but McGregor has improved in this area.

I'm happy with either. SG will probably use them in different games depending on what is required tactically. Much the same as he does with outfield players. It's the beauty of having a deep squad.

McGregor is undisputedly our no.1 keeper.

It’s a position where we’ve traditionally always been strong both in first pick and back-up.

We are in a better position this season with McLaughlin here.

I had no problem with Wes whenever he played but IMO McLaughlin is a far superior option.

But it’s not a position you want to rotate. Mibbee give the no.2 the cup games but that’s as far as I’d go.

I don't think he is under appreciated and I don't really feel sorry for him either, McLaughlin joined knowing McGregor was number one and he was back up. He's played more games than expected and done well but he's still back up for this season at least.
The only games he should be playing i if McGregor is unavailable or seriously drops in form and review at the end of the season.

No, rotating keepers for the sake of it should not be happening.
If McGregor needs to have an injury managed then any rotation would be necessary.

Fwiw, I think McGregor will play tomorrow and sit out on Sunday.

Tbf to Wes, he never let us down either and with that defence vs Martin/Hill/Wilson/Bates etc I am certain he would have been just as good as JM has been.

I really like him, he seems to have upped the quality in our goal by quite a stretch. No offence to Wes and Jak, but if shagger is rested, I feel far more confident now that John is his back up. He hasn’t put a foot wrong, but McGregor gets the nod when fully fit.

Our passing game from the back is much more fluent with McLaughlin in the team.
This is a very valid point. The season we had Ronald Waterreus in goal, our passing game was really excellent, even if he wouldn't pull off the saves that Klos or McGregor might have.

Shot-stopping isn't the only thing you look for in a goalie. (Having said that, you would play McGregor in a crunch game every time!)

We will need both goalkeepers over the course of the season so I wouldn't be surprised to see Jon come in on Sunday against Livingston with McGregor playing in the European games.

We've got a run of Thursday / Sunday games for the next 3 weeks until the international break.

If McGregor was named something else, I think people would be calling for McLaughlin to start every week.

His calmness on the ball and distribution gives the team the ability to properly play out of the back. He is also quite a bit bitter at coming out to collect crosses into the box.

McGregor is a great shot stopper but I'm not sure he is so much better than McLaughlin in this area that it's worth sacrificing what JM brings to the team.

McLaughlin was great at Hearts and I don't think at this level you could ask for much better as an understudy to McGregor. Maybe someone a tad younger but age less of a barrier for some keepers.

This would've been a big decision for Gerrard on Saturday past. For me he got it wrong by playing McGregor. He shouldve played neither.

Na, it's McGregor all day for me but McLaughlin is an excellent deputy. Alexander like.

Both great options to have. I'd go McGregor Thursday and McLaughlin Sunday. We have a proper squad so we should use it and that applies to outfield players as well

Back