Jon McLaughlin

The better keeper.. end of!
Well its not really End of, He's a better shot stopper certainly, but there's clearly things that Jon is better at. Better with the ball at his feet and general distribution, Far better at dealing with crosses and corners going on what we've seen so far.
For the type of football we play McLaughlin is arguably better suited to playing for us.

Plus I've yet to see him Karate kick opponents and face spells out of the team due to it (not a one off with McGregor)

Its a good position to be in, for as long as I can remember we've generally had 2 very good keepers to rely on.

No, rotating keepers for the sake of it should not be happening.
I wouldnt describe this situation as for the sake of it, both keepers are in good form and does no harm to give them both games over a long season. Until one of them loses form or a bad goal cant see the problem.

I really like both keepers and we are blessed to have two of the best in Scotland. Every game we play both have stepped up and have very different strengths but i think McLaughlin gets the ball moving quickly straight after he has it. It frustrates the life out of me when McGregor hoofs the ball diagonally to the touchline regularly and only gets there a small amount of times, although i feel McGregor is a better shot stopper.

8 games out of 11 in the League this season JM has been in goals, and we have conceded just 3 times. He has made some big stops in those games as well.

It’s pretty unthinkable coming into this season that McGregor would only have played 3 league games and Rangers would be in the position that we are after 11 matches.

Feel like Jon’s part to play so far has been a bit under appreciated, with our defensive record plaudits going particularly to Goldson and Helander. Will he come back in on Sunday with McGregor playing against Liege?

There are now absolutely zero worries if he does, whereas before I would have been bricking it being without McGregor, given how good he is.

Brickin and hammer, par for a buildin site.

Two reliable keepers, what's not to like.

I wouldnt describe this situation as for the sake of it, both keepers are in good form and does no harm to give them both games over a long season. Until one of them loses form or a bad goal cant see the problem.
Problem is having a settled defence is key. Rotating players when its not needed is asking for trouble.

Also McGregor is a much better GK.

Honestly don’t think anyone has under appreciated him, don’t know where you got that from

I’d like McGregor to be available for every game and play them but age is starting to catch up a bit in terms of injuries. McLaughlin is class though and a very able deputy, I think Gerrard will view Sunday as the time to rest McGregor and in ways it may benefit us as McLaughlin has better distribution.

I actually feel more confident with McLaughlin in the team tbh, especially when it comes to commanding his box.

Pretty sure he only conceded 2 the other goal we conceded v Motherwell McCgregor was in goal.

I don't know a single fat who hasn't appreciated the job he has done for us so I don't really understand that part of your post ?

This is a very valid point. The season we had Ronald Waterreus in goal, our passing game was really excellent, even if he wouldn't pull off the saves that Klos or McGregor might have.

Shot-stopping isn't the only thing you look for in a goalie. (Having said that, you would play McGregor in a crunch game every time!)
It’s the main thing by a very long way. How well they pass it out to the defenders is so far down the list and rightly so. It’s like picking your striker based on who makes the best last ditch tackles in your own box,

Last edited:
Well its not really End of, He's a better shot stopper certainly, but there's clearly things that Jon is better at. Better with the ball at his feet and general distribution, Far better at dealing with crosses and corners going on what we've seen so far.
For the type of football we play McLaughlin is arguably better suited to playing for us.

Plus I've yet to see him Karate kick opponents and face spells out of the team due to it (not a one off with McGregor)

Its a good position to be in, for as long as I can remember we've generally had 2 very good keepers to rely on.
Far better coming for crosses is a gross exaggeration. We’ve seen JM flap at crosses and get lucky.

You need a number 1 and there’s no disputing that should be McGregor

I wouldn’t be adverse to McLaughlin getting both domestic cups....but Europe and the League we play McGregor

Far better coming for crosses is a gross exaggeration. We’ve seen JM flap at crosses and get lucky.
Yet I’d still say far better than Allan who either doesn’t come, or when he does can make a rip roaring arse of it. Iirc we conceded a goal at home maybe last season or the season before (damned covid and it’s impact on seasons) where he came for a cross and missed, then all through that game he was a train wreck and it was like the defenders didn’t know what he was going to do next

8 games out of 11 in the League this season JM has been in goals, and we have conceded just 3 times. He has made some big stops in those games as well.

It’s pretty unthinkable coming into this season that McGregor would only have played 3 league games and Rangers would be in the position that we are after 11 matches.

Feel like Jon’s part to play so far has been a bit under appreciated, with our defensive record plaudits going particularly to Goldson and Helander. Will he come back in on Sunday with McGregor playing against Liege?

There are now absolutely zero worries if he does, whereas before I would have been bricking it being without McGregor, given how good he is.
We have 2 great keepers.
They have different skill sets.

I'd play Jon McLaughlin against bigger teams who are more dangerous at set pieces and McGregor against smaller and quicker teams.

Yet I’d still say far better than Allan who either doesn’t come, or when he does can make a rip roaring arse of it. Iirc we conceded a goal at home maybe last season or the season before (damned covid and it’s impact on seasons) where he came for a cross and missed, then all through that game he was a train wreck and it was like the defenders didn’t know what he was going to do next
One example from a season or maybe 2 seasons ago?

An example from JM from this season.

the disparity in their abilities here is overstated going on the available evidence.

One example from a season or maybe 2 seasons ago?

An example from JM from this season.

the disparity in their abilities here is overstated going on the available evidence.
Can only go on what I see. McGregor doesn't come for crosses often, when he does its not the most effective, isn't great with the ball but regularly saves points for us with seemingly impossible stops. McLaughlin seems to want to command his area more, is better with the ball but nowhere near as good a shot stopper.

JM has been excellent for us.

For me the biggest single difference this season is that the whole squad are contributing when called upon.

Last season we invariably had a week bench and a typical change would see Ojo come on and largely contribute nothing

Back