Jon McLaughlin

IF Shagger was to retire at the end of the coming season, would you rather:

• Bring McLaughlin in as the first choice keeper.

Votes: 599 77.4%
  • Find a replacement to Shagger and keep Jon as backup.

Votes: 175 22.6%

• Total voters
I was a huge advocate for signing him, and his signing thread was hilarious with the amount of folk who know heehaw.

However, I think he lacks the X-factor to be a proper Rangers number 1. Domestically, he’d be fine and easily the best keeper in the country so no complaints.

Hes good.

But as a Ranger we always strive to have the best.

I think hes in the same league as Niemi was for us.

I would like him to excel as number 1 but think we can do better.

Saying that I have been spoiled over the years and he would be no1 for the scum if he went there.

Sign somone and tell him and JM the #1 shirt is up for grabs.

Designated starters/backups is a very silly concept on our budget.

Agree with this, I would ideally want the new signing to be a good bit younger and have the potential to improve substantially, but would see no reason why JM would be told he would be on the bench. He proved on a number of occasions last season he's good enough.

Not at the same level as some of the keepers we've had, which probably shows how spoiled we've been on that position, as he's more than good enough. I'd be happy with him as 1st choice.

Alan McGregor is the best keeper in the country bar none.

But McLaughlin has been been the second best in the country and he richly deserves his chance when the time is right.

Reactions: GTA
McLaughlin is a good number 2 for us, would like to think he would make the step up to number 1.

I cant think of a keeper outwith McGregor who has went from Number 2 to Number 1?

I was a huge advocate for signing him, and his signing thread was hilarious with the amount of folk who know heehaw.

However, I think he lacks the X-factor to be a proper Rangers number 1. Domestically, he’d be fine and easily the best keeper in the country so no complaints.
Agree.

Decent player, was very much in favour of signing him.

Undisputed Rangers number 1 though? Hmm.

He feels like a reincarnation of Neil Alexander.

Definitely solid and dependable. Seems like a great lad around the place as well. Always looked good for Hearts, also.

I’m not sure he’s McGregor or Goram though, which rightly or wrongly, I set as the benchmark.

On current evidence McLaughlin is more than capable of replacing McGregor.

However, it depends if he is the best option available at the time this question needs to be answered.

If that happens - give him a chance to compete for the jersey, he’s earned as much. Though I’d be bringing in competition if McCrorie isn’t at the level we need him to be at.

All depends on the circumstances next year.

If we qualify for the UCL and are in a position to spend a few mill on a keeper, I'd do it.

But if there are more pressing areas needing addressed, I wouldn't mind going with JM for a year.

Reactions: Moz
He is easily the second best keeper in the country at the moment and has shown nothing in his performances so far that would make me worry if he took over.

He isn't Greegs but not many in the world are.

We'll obviously need to sign someone when McGregor goes anyway, so let JM fight for the jersey with them. More than comfortable with him, he's solid and dependable and a good shot stopper. Maybe not as capable of the absolute top drawer saves McGregor is, but not many are unless you're spending north of £20m.

A few weeks later he won the poll as to who should start the season as No.1.

FF is mental at times :))

He hasn't put a foot wrong in any of his outings and made some really good saves. When Greegs hangs up his boots, Jon deserves his chance to establish himself as number 1 (with the caveat being there is no obvious better replacement on a Bosman)

Big Jon should be made number 1 now, and Greegs can sit on the bench as back up.

I would also suggest that Defoe and Davis should be seen only as back next season, and all three will probably retire after that.

We need to move forward, without any sentimentality. All great players, all great servants for the club, but sadly all past their best.

A replacement, McLaughlin has shown himself to be a perfectly decent Number 2 keeper and did play a decent part in our clean sheet record last season, slightly understated really, but nah I would expect a new number 1.

He's a great backup and would be an adequate first choice, but we've generally had better than that for the last 30 years so we're spoiled.

Back