Jon Newsome on Battle of Britain

I can remember Thomson the Liverpool player saying on Sky that Leeds would win by at least 3 goals in the return leg and Kenny Dalglish replying that he was totally underestimating Rangers and thought we would get a result at Elland Road.
What I also remember from the 1st leg was how disappointed I was when the half time whistle went. We were really on top of them and I'm sure if we had another 5 minutes we could have scored at least 1 more.

This was to be my post.
Exactly.
Always remember Dalglish's retort to Thompson on that show.

Cheeky bugger, he thought that Leeds should have got through.
As I recall Leeds were well beaten in both games.
At one point in the second match, I thought that Rangers even took their foot of the gas.
Good team Leeds, but Rangers were much better.
Yip.
I'm sure it was just before our second goal, could be wrong though, the English commentary team lamenting that we were toying with Leeds.

Whatever has happened to my club since and whatever troubles we've all been through nobody can take away the memory of being in the stadium when mccoist put us 2-1 up against Leeds.

We had three generations of my family in one row that night, aunts , cousins and granparents in the Copland front, it was a great night.
I wasn't convinced a 2-1 lead would be enough and was dissapointed of not getting a third in the 2nd half, oh how I was wrong

What a team in those days.
The Scottish champions beat the English champions home and uaway.
Eric cantonain those days.

Working in Perth at the time, remember going to the Panmure hotel in Carnoustie to watch it,something to do with the location being so far east it would pick up the signal, so we chanced it, about 40 miles away, 3 of us in a taxi, one of the best nights i ever had,can`t believe it`s been so long.......what a bittersweet adventure it turned out to be!

Was in East Enclosure, absolutely bouncing it was. Main Stand above us was rocking !
The excitement pre match was incredible. This was early days CL. It was a big deal and we we're considered underdogs. Loved How well our Scottish players played in both legs to shut the critics up down south ( Gough, McCoist, Brown, Durant, Fergie, Goram McCall etc )
Think there were more Bears made it to Elland Rd than they had up here.
When Rangers scored the goals down there Bears were standing up cheering, then walking right out of the ground.
Incredible memories of those two games, how many living rooms must have went crazy when Hateley scored, and McCoist's second was a move of pure beauty from start to finish.
Brilliant.

Over the two legs I realised Goram was something special. As was that full team.
As above the atmosphere for 90 seconds was as good as the Kiev game then Leeds scored. It took about a minute then a great roar erupted around Ibrox with everyone giving it get into these bastards, c'mon the Rangers ...
The Goalie is the best I've ever seen.

Seem to remember a TV clip of Alex Ferguson before the 2nd leg and the reporter was bigging up Leeds chances and fergie quipped back with something along the lines of " you're very easy to dismiss Rangers chance here theyre the champions of Scotland they'll be buoyed by the 1st leg result and wont come to defend " but it was more of the way he said it , like " turn this lot over Rangers "

My two brothers and I have had the same seats since the mid '80s. About a week before the game my eldest brother was admitted to Gartnaval hospital with a collapsed lung. My other brother and I went to visit him before the home game and he gave us his ticket to sell outside the ground. I went to speak to his Dr. to ask if we could take him to the game and bring him straight back afterwards. The Dr. joked "No, but can I have his ticket." He then gave the OK but warned him about getting too excited etc. Some chance of that. To this day he is thanking us for taking him. The atmosphere was like nothing we had experienced.
I remember Lineker interviewing Howard Wilkinson before the games and all the pundits in the studio were saying it was a shoo in for Leeds. The only voice of reason came from Wilkinson who said "Hang on a minute. This isn't Queens Park Rangers or Berwick Rangers we're playing. This is Glasgow Rangers and anyone who thinks we will just need to turn up to get through clearly doesn't know much about football."
Wise words from a good manager.
My memory of the second leg was The Goalie playing out of his skin and Durrant running the show box to box. And of course the two magnificent goals.

Cheeky bugger, he thought that Leeds should have got through.
As I recall Leeds were well beaten in both games.
At one point in the second match, I thought that Rangers even took their foot of the gas.
Good team Leeds, but Rangers were much better.
He’s probably angling towards the chances they had in the 2nd game, Goram was simply superb that night as were all the players involved

I’d been in the navy about 5 months at that point. Made some lifelong friends over the course of the two games whilst based at HMS Collingwood. I think there was talk down there of tickets being “available” for Elland Rd.

The first season I remember being a Ranger'.

I remember my Granda scooping me in his arms for Lukics own goal and again for Super Ally. It was love from then on.

My son is 1 and I'd love to think his first Rangers memories will be similar...

Think the bod John has headered way too many balls. Rangers deserved to go through no question.
Canny believe it 25yrs

can't believe this was 25 years ago today that Rangers team would of won the champions league today and the over hyped epl imo

in the home leg the first half came to an end too quickly as we were all over them. I had a juvenile club deck ticket that season and was one of the few times ive seen a policeman celebrate like anyone of us when we scored.

What a great two games they were. Up out of my seat(at home) when Hateley's goal went in at Elland Road.

My mate’s old man always referred to him as “Nizzy Newsome”.

Basically he thought he was as big a diddy as Scott Nisbet was.

There was an article in Follow Follow (I'll have a guess that it was number 28) about a group of Gers fans who got tickets for Elland Road and drove down in a rented Vauxhall Astra.
Don`t think it was us in the FF28 article but four of us drove down in said rented Astra , we swapped tickets with four Leeds fans (long story) , they came up and went on our bus to the game . We were met in their supporters club next to the ground. Into the ground ,all going well until Hately scores, chucked out , eventually end back at their club giving it laldy , the Leeds fans were excellent! , the rest of the night is a bit hazy , we were to stay with one of the Leeds guys that night , a bit hazy after that ,last thing I remember was drunkenly trying to get into bed with the guy and his wife , mad day !

As an aside, Newsome was always one of these players I just randomly didn’t like. Seems like he should have been a rugby player.

Man Utd essentially got Cantona for buttons because of us...
I thought it was because the bold Eric was dipping his wick where he shouldn't have.

Goram broke his cheating heart over those two games,

Back