Jordan Campbell on Tav

bornabluenose

He has played pretty well this season and is definitely an asset to the team when he is playing like that.

The Captain debate has been done to death on here, I think most posters views are well known by now.

Leo_Ger

I think the problem may be our great captains of the past. They were all the fist clenched types. That may not always be the best but it is what I expect of a Rangers captain and I expect most of our fans will feel the same.
How many of those types of players exist in modern football?

LJ50

Tav has flaws, they’ve been exposed in the past. But he’s worked on them, he might not have eradicated them entirely, but players aren’t perfect. No matter how much they cost. And he cost us £250k. All the qualities we ad fans can see on the pitch, for £250k.

Then you read the managers comments on his attitude; you read Wallace and Docherty’s insights in that article. And you still don’t think he’s captain material? Utter madness IMO.

If he wins a league title with us then he will richly deserve it. And deserve to be the captain that lifts the trophy. And if he doesn’t get to do that, then he’ll still go down as a very good player and a fantastic piece of business.

JW1988

I've not read the article, because I don't need to. I've already heard many players and ex players speak about JT in glowing terms as a leader. SG who IMO is up there with the greatest captains of his generation selected him as his captain. That's really all that matters. None of us as fans know a thing about what makes a captain.
Below is something I have put on here before and think is again true when it comes to some replies on this subject

Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge.
You can form an opinion with little or no information at all, and then you can go and spout it about as an actual fact when it’s nothing more than theory, conjecture and assumption.

Real knowledge is not information, it takes experience and information together to make real knowledge.

So what we have is a bunch of people, in this case the fans, who have access to “information” but have no actual experience. Since they have the information they think they now have knowledge and understanding of a system (our tactics, training, Captain choice, transfers etc) that they’ve never been in and never had any experience of.

Now the main problem with that is it leads to assumptions and it leads to conjecture and in the case of our support leads to contempt.

Familiarity breeds contempt, no matter what it is, the more familiar you are with something the more contemptuous you become with it. And now you have a group of people, granted a minority, who are very vocal and very contemptuous based on information that they think is “knowledge” that they really truly don’t have any understanding or reasoning of what we do or why we do it.

barcelonabear

Never known a player to cause as many goals and not get dropped but if were being honest he’s been a great servant and when he’s on form he’s a good player.

Officer Yates

SO you haven't read the article, but are commenting on a thread about said article.

You are allowed an opinion, but it's a cracking insight which former players are interviewed, in which they state he is very much a leader.

You are also coming across a very angry man in your response to being questioned about not reading said article. strange.
Ma response is to the OP’s comment and I was sarcastically firing back at your comment where I’ve made ma thoughts clear at the end of my post

defender

Tav will only be appreciated once he has gone. It’s that simple
He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.

Bigbluebear

He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.
No he doesn't

He just isn't the only threat in the team now.

Prior to last season EVERYTHING went through him

Now we have so many other options and weapons we don't need to lean so heavily on Tav, so it appears his contribution is less, when actually it is still as valuable and productive.

macdonut

Great article, love long reads like that. I'm a big fan of Tav's although he (and the rest of the team) won't be fully appreciated until they've fought and won a league title, nor should they.

PunkScott

Great article, love long reads like that. I'm a big fan of Tav's although he (and the rest of the team) won't be fully appreciated until they've fought and won a league title, nor should they.
Exactly, come May and a Treble Tav will be spoken about very differently.

Some posters just like having their knickers in a twist though.

Brick Hithouse

I‘d say the only other option who comes close is Goldson. As I’ve posted before, I sat in the main stand at Motherwell around Christmas last year. Strange experience. Eerily quiet so you could hear everything the players and coaches were shouting. The two most vocal in our team, by a considerable distance, were Tav and Goldson. The idea that Tav is ‘too quiet’ is bullshit.
Ryan Jack

gersintaethum

Unfortunately for Tav, as good a player as he is, a Rangers Captain is ultimately measure on lifting silverware. Under he does that people will continue to question him.
From my point of view (not to jinx him) he’s improved enormously as a player.

stein and johnston

He needs to lead the team to the title and possibly a cup if he wants to be remembered as a great Rangers captain.
It doesn’t matter if he’s the best right back we’ve had in 7 or 8 years.
It’s leading the team to success he will be remembered for.

Daleboy91Watp

Tavernier is an excellent captain and one of our best players.

People won’t realise that until he’s not playing for us anymore.
See this btw, I've been harsh on Tav but his stats speak for themselves. Until there's trophys put in that cabinet I wouldn't miss one of them leaving stats n goals are all fine and well but if you aren't providing the goods with them then they realistically count for %^*& all. I'd rather a team that was bland and boring but put the points up. Rather than a team that swatted the likes of Hamilton n st mirren away but arses collapsed at crunch time.

wilso10

Unfortunately for Tav, as good a player as he is, a Rangers Captain is ultimately measure on lifting silverware. Under he does that people will continue to question him.
From my point of view (not to jinx him) he’s improved enormously as a player.
Which is absolute nonsense in all honesty. What do folk expect from a right wing back? For him to single handedly drag us to titles? His numbers speak for themselves, he's doing HIS job far more often than he's not.

Sadly in recent years too many others around him have let us down, and what's why we've not won trophies. And before folk bring up the Stoke cup final, watch the game back and have a look at where we really lost the game. Hint: it wasn't solely down to Tav.

Bulletproof

All the players he’s played with/plays with - Captain

Steven Gerrard and his team - Captain

Yer da on FF/Twitter - Never a Captain
The manager and players he plays with would never come out and say he isn't captain material no matter what their thoughts on the subject are

change consent