Jordan Campbell on Tav

queensferrybear

This really shouldn't be a conversation let alone a debate.

Tav is a class act, his stats back it up. Its a myth that he constantly costs us goals. (Thats not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but who hasn't?).

Those saying he can't be viewed as a good captain until he wins something is just wrong. He is more than doing his job, he needs others to do theirs, will the same people when (hopefully) we win trophies this season give all the credit to Tav? Rightly they won't, as it is won and lost as a team. He has also played with some absolute woeful players, is he supposed to win a trophy with Bates, Pena, Martin et al? He has had 103 Rangers team mates, that says it all about the level of players he has been beside.

The article clearly states he is very vocal, he is extremely positive, and is a great guy. That's what a captain is these days. We should have a team full of leaders, for the first we are starting to get there.

The fact is peoples opinions count for nothing, it's the likes of Gerrards who see him day in day out that count.

DunantBlue

Amazing value signing and has given us a lot. But Captain, not for me.
He has cost us goals far too many times in pressure situations, that's not a Captain.
Every single person who has been anywhere near the Rangers set up, our training ground or dressing room in recent years says freely that Tav sets the example every single day as a pro, a player and a leader. I am less persuaded than others of the importance of this discussion, but all of these observers surely can’t be totally wrong?

Dcalm

I don't see him as a captain, but in fairness I grew up with captains like Gough and Butcher. To me a captain should be in the thick of it, take that challenge on Morelos, had Gough or Butcher been there they would have been right in there fearless. And not seeing him as a captain has nothing to do with his ability, I find him a decent player but just not a captain or a leader.

AllanD

Every single person who has been anywhere near the Rangers set up, our training ground or dressing room in recent years says freely that Tav sets the example every single day as a pro, a player and a leader. I am less persuaded than others of the importance of this discussion, but all of these observers surely can’t be totally wrong?
Maybe does, but a Captain is more than that. It's not falling to pieces under pressure, costing us goals under pressure and openly admitting he doesn't like pressure games. A Captain should be someone others can turn to when the going gets tough and can rely on.

Leopold

If it was rhetorical I wouldn't of used question marks.
Rhetorical questions can still have question marks son, such as my previous post.

If Gerrard didn’t think Tavernier was Captain material there would be a pretty obvious clue which would indicate that.

Northampton_Loyalist

And you know this do you??
You have won today's 'stupid post'.

You automatically carry over into the 'Stupid post of the week', which you are the front-runner in so-far.

All being well, you will progress to the monthly and even annual events.

If the manager did not think Tav was captain material, he would not have made, then kept him, as captain. Obviously.

DunantBlue

Maybe does, but a Captain is more than that. It's not falling to pieces under pressure, costing us goals under pressure and openly admitting he doesn't like pressure games. A Captain should be someone others can turn to when the going gets tough and can rely on.
Maybe so. The manager and everyone else that has worked with and played with him seem to believe they can rely on him.

Jack Burton

I think Tavernier has grown into the role and he is clearly respected by his team mates and management.

He might have a calm approach, but it doesn’t make him any less of a leader to someone who screams and shouts.

200k was a steal.

tumsheeheed

When you see the stats and the very fact he’s our captain I really hope a few so called supporters are hanging their heads in shame he’s a fantastic football player,honestly the Hutton comparison on FF the other day was embarrassing when our manager has to come out and show his support beggars belief.Too many on here and in supporters clubs my own included cannot face the facts,too shamefaced to admit that they’ve got it badly wrong .

gersintaethum

Which is absolute nonsense in all honesty. What do folk expect from a right wing back? For him to single handedly drag us to titles? His numbers speak for themselves, he's doing HIS job far more often than he's not.

Sadly in recent years too many others around him have let us down, and what's why we've not won trophies. And before folk bring up the Stoke cup final, watch the game back and have a look at where we really lost the game. Hint: it wasn't solely down to Tav.
None sense it may be however when you think of great Captains within your lifetime what did they all help deliver? Rightly or wrongly the perception is there.

BroomloanWATP

Don’t want another Tavernier bashing thread but he shouldn’t be captain. It’s not that he is especially bad but there are other more suitable candidates in the squad.
Yes, I'm sure Steven Gerrard, without doubt one of the finest players and most influential captains ever produced by a club the size of Liverpool FC, has overlooked every other possible player in the squad and has selected and then stuck with Tav as his captain. The squad respect Tav, they like him, he never hides. I sometimes have my doubts about it and on occasion lose it when he makes a mistake, which is a lot less often than he used to, but I find it difficult to argue with him having the armband.

It's not all about moaning your face off at your team-mates , slamming into tackles and shouting at refs. A winning team will be full of skippers without armbands and with Davis, McGregor, Goldson, Jack, Defoe and Arfield I think we have that.

tazzabear

I agree that it's been done to death but a Rangers captain shouldn't of came out with the stuff he had said in that match program!! Good player yes but not a captain. Would like to see Borna given the arm band.
Aside from anything else, what has Barisic done, what qualities do you see in him, that would make him a good captain or a better captain than Tavernier?
Why Barisic and not Jack or Kent,

tazzabear

He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.
I’m reading this as a bit of a slur.
Is this what you intended?
Are you saying Tavernier doesn’t give 100%?

SCG

Don’t be so disgusting and disrespectful.
Stupid and outrageous post.
In your opinion. What is disgusting and what is disrespectful.? What's outrageous? He is not a captain and is not the quality we need at this level. Regularly found out under pressure

CaptainObjective

All the evidence from his peers and our manager (who incidentally was a superb captain in his playing days) suggests Tavernier is an outstanding captain.

Blueranger45

Tav will only be appreciated once he has gone. It’s that simple
if there is one player on our staff I want to see with a trophy (preferably 55) it's him, he's not the best defender in the world of course but for somebody who cost rumoured £200k from Wigan, he's probably been one of our best value signings in the last 20 years with his amount of assists and goals

tazzabear

In your opinion. What is disgusting and what is disrespectful.? What's outrageous? He is not a captain and is not the quality we need at this level. Regularly found out under pressure
This is only your opinion and, thankfully, it seems to be in the minority.
As for your questions, I’d expect a Rangers player to be given more respect, if nothing else, than you’ve given him.
To my mind, only a Rangers hater would say, or post, comments like in your earlier post.

NDC bear forever

I really think British football fans in particular massively overplay the influence of a captain in 2020. Ultimately, a piece of fabric on someone’s arm means very little and not an indication of how good a leader someone is or isn’t. People just seem to want someone going about screaming, I guess it was what they were used to growing up which is fine.

Tav is massively respected within the squad and certainly seems to be in the same leader mould as Kane. Lead by example with your professionalism and performances.

ICA_86

I really think British football fans in particular massively overplay the influence of a captain in 2020. Ultimately, a piece of fabric on someone’s arm means very little and not an indication of how good a leader someone is or isn’t. People just seem to want someone going about screaming, I guess it was what they were used to growing up which is fine.

Tav is massively respected within the squad and certainly seems to be in the same leader mould as Kane. Lead by example with your professionalism and performances.
Correct. It’s a really boring debate.

You can see - and more importantly hear - from the games behind closed doors that Goldson is the leader of that back four, and he doesn’t need an armband for that.

Tav leads the club by example in pretty much every way, but my only complaint is that I’d love him to show a bit more aggression and protect his players a bit more. However, that’s a problem with our squad in general.

defender

I’m reading this as a bit of a slur.
Is this what you intended?
Are you saying Tavernier doesn’t give 100%?
To an extent yes but slur would imply slagging him for the sake of it, because he has had no real competition I do think he has at least a bit of complacency, I also think we now see that Candeias was very under rated and made JT a far better player.

SCG

This is only your opinion and, thankfully, it seems to be in the minority.
As for your questions, I’d expect a Rangers player to be given more respect, if nothing else, than you’ve given him.
To my mind, only a Rangers hater would say, or post, comments like in your earlier post.
Really! I have been following Rangers since the 60's and he is by far the worst captain i have seen.

With regard to respect, i would give him that if he worked on his inability to defend.

To my mind, you have no ability to objectively comment, if you can't understand basic football ability.

Poor captain, can't cross a ball, atrocious corners, caught out against better quality teams

supersonic

Official Ticketer
To an extent yes but slur would imply slagging him for the sake of it, because he has had no real competition I do think he has at least a bit of complacency, I also think we now see that Candeias was very under rated and made JT a far better player.
JT has played just fine without him...

ICA_86

Really! I have been following Rangers since the 60's and he is by far the worst captain i have seen.

With regard to respect, i would give him that if he worked on his inability to defend.

To my mind, you have no ability to objectively comment, if you can't understand basic football ability.

Poor captain, can't cross a ball, atrocious corners, caught out against better quality teams
He’s part of a back four that’s just broke an all time record for consecutive clean sheets.

Can he not defend?

change consent