Jordan Campbell on Tav

You can only be a captain if you scream and shout like McGregor - nonsense.

Tav is every bit a captain. He looks after the young players, is respected in the dressing room, shows up week in week out, never hides even if not having his best game and he’s a quality player also.

I remember a game at Ibrox, may have been killie last season no sure on the team, and we were getting beat 1-0. Kamara was having a poor game and passed it out the pitch with the usual crowd abuse and moaning started. Tav goes to Kamara, tells him to be calm and has a quiet word to try settle him down. That’s a captain for me, the guy people look to for help and he always does.

I agree that it's been done to death but a Rangers captain shouldn't of came out with the stuff he had said in that match program!! Good player yes but not a captain. Would like to see Borna given the arm band.

Tav is every bit a captain. He looks after the young players, is respected in the dressing room, shows up week in week out, never hides even if not having his best game and he’s a quality player also.

I remember a game at Ibrox, may have been killie last season no sure on the team, and we were getting beat 1-0. Kamara was having a poor game and passed it out the pitch with the usual crowd abuse and moaning started. Tav goes to Kamara, tells him to be calm and has a quiet word to try settle him down. That’s a captain for me, the guy people look to for help and he always does.

I think the thing that’s missing is a trophy. Until that people will say never a capt.

Can’t underestimate a senior pro looking after teammates.

that said sometimes I’d live to see him, as the capt, smash into someone who has halved on of our players and create a weir style bust up

I agree that it's been done to death but a Rangers captain shouldn't of came out with the stuff he had said in that match program!! Good player yes but not a captain. Would like to see Borna given the arm band.

Why Borna? He's the quiet man of the team, does his job brilliantly well, and is tough as he'll, but why captain?

Always quantify these comments with I'm not a Tav fan boy, but I understand what he has brought to the team, so have no complaints about him being captain. The only other candidate in current team for me is Goldson who does do a lot of talking on the pitch.

Cant help but agree with this. Not doubting he has ability as a player but that article gave an indication of weakness in his character that I wouldn’t expect of a Captain.

Edit: BB wouldn’t be my first choice captain.

Everyone has different opinions on Tav but it's certainly no co-incidence that in recent years most involved with professional football in some capacity have nothing but for praise the guy. On the other side of the fence, the FM loyal will continue to give him a hard time because of a poor game he had 12 months ago or because he doesn't swear enough.

Either way, he'll never win over the full support.

Nobody aside from those he’s playing alongside can tell you wether he’s a captain or not. I feel like personally he’s every bit a captain, looks after the younger players, never hides, does communicate well with his team mates... etc.

Or does a captain have to be the loudmouth that’s just shouts and barks orders at all times? Leadership comes in many guises.

My opinion is that Tav has been a great servant to the club. And those that have a grudge against him might come to realise when he’s gone that he will be tough to replace.

People will eventually come to take his manager and teammates' word for it rather than the FF clichés. Hopefully.

Cant help but agree with this. Not doubting he has ability as a player but that article gave an indication of weakness in his character that I wouldn’t expect of a Captain.

Edit: BB wouldn’t be my first choice captain.
I think Borna has a core of fire. To come back from the start he had at the club to where he is now takes mental strength.

Why Borna? He's the quiet man of the team, does his job brilliantly well, and is tough as he'll, but why captain?

Always quantify these comments with I'm not a Tav fan boy, but I understand what he has brought to the team, so have no complaints about him being captain. The only other candidate in current team for me is Goldson who does do a lot of talking on the pitch.
Beware of the quiet man. You seen on Saturday he was the the only player to go over to Edwards after he took Alfie out!! Granted he could of been sent off but his first instinct was to defend a fallen comrade.

Don’t want another Tavernier bashing thread but he shouldn’t be captain. It’s not that he is especially bad but there are other more suitable candidates in the squad.

See to be honest , the tav thing is getting tiresome

all that matters is that the manager and players inside the changing room clearly see him as a captain

Some fellow fans need to get their heads out the sand and back the man instead of berating him after every dropped point and saying he isnt captain material because he doesn’t shout and ball

Footballers don’t react to a hardman captain I.e souness , Ferguson , Keane like they used to, captains nowadays are about setting standards and enforcing the managers plans in the live game environment ( something that tav clearly does in spades )

Also , 1 poor match day programme note shouldn’t derive him from getting our support after 250 games where he has mainly , delivered for us

Last edited:
I think the problem may be our great captains of the past. They were all the fist clenched types. That may not always be the best but it is what I expect of a Rangers captain and I expect most of our fans will feel the same.

Don’t want another Tavernier bashing thread but he shouldn’t be captain. It’s not that he is especially bad but there are other more suitable candidates in the squad.

I‘d say the only other option who comes close is Goldson. As I’ve posted before, I sat in the main stand at Motherwell around Christmas last year. Strange experience. Eerily quiet so you could hear everything the players and coaches were shouting. The two most vocal in our team, by a considerable distance, were Tav and Goldson. The idea that Tav is ‘too quiet’ is bullshit.

Borna strikes me as a quiet maniac and I think would be a red waiting to happen as captain, for a second he looked like he was going to lose the plot before being subbed and with the standards we are reffed to that would be a constant threat. We need other players to step up to take yellows against offensive players as the old style captains role is null and void at Rangers due to card happy refs imo.

Tav is a good player, very reliable most weeks but has been at fault in several huge games in giving needless goals away.

Overall a good player but imo never a captain.

naw a never and you obviously didn’t read the end of ma post for my position on that

SO you haven't read the article, but are commenting on a thread about said article.

You are allowed an opinion, but it's a cracking insight which former players are interviewed, in which they state he is very much a leader.

You are also coming across a very angry man in your response to being questioned about not reading said article. strange.

48 goals and 77 assists in 250 games is an unbelievable stat, shows how important he is to us, regardless of peoples opinion that they think he should shout more.

He has played pretty well this season and is definitely an asset to the team when he is playing like that.

The Captain debate has been done to death on here, I think most posters views are well known by now.

I think the problem may be our great captains of the past. They were all the fist clenched types. That may not always be the best but it is what I expect of a Rangers captain and I expect most of our fans will feel the same.

How many of those types of players exist in modern football?

Tav has flaws, they’ve been exposed in the past. But he’s worked on them, he might not have eradicated them entirely, but players aren’t perfect. No matter how much they cost. And he cost us £250k. All the qualities we ad fans can see on the pitch, for £250k.

Then you read the managers comments on his attitude; you read Wallace and Docherty’s insights in that article. And you still don’t think he’s captain material? Utter madness IMO.

If he wins a league title with us then he will richly deserve it. And deserve to be the captain that lifts the trophy. And if he doesn’t get to do that, then he’ll still go down as a very good player and a fantastic piece of business.

I've not read the article, because I don't need to. I've already heard many players and ex players speak about JT in glowing terms as a leader. SG who IMO is up there with the greatest captains of his generation selected him as his captain. That's really all that matters. None of us as fans know a thing about what makes a captain.
Below is something I have put on here before and think is again true when it comes to some replies on this subject

Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge.
You can form an opinion with little or no information at all, and then you can go and spout it about as an actual fact when it’s nothing more than theory, conjecture and assumption.

Real knowledge is not information, it takes experience and information together to make real knowledge.

So what we have is a bunch of people, in this case the fans, who have access to “information” but have no actual experience. Since they have the information they think they now have knowledge and understanding of a system (our tactics, training, Captain choice, transfers etc) that they’ve never been in and never had any experience of.

Now the main problem with that is it leads to assumptions and it leads to conjecture and in the case of our support leads to contempt.

Familiarity breeds contempt, no matter what it is, the more familiar you are with something the more contemptuous you become with it. And now you have a group of people, granted a minority, who are very vocal and very contemptuous based on information that they think is “knowledge” that they really truly don’t have any understanding or reasoning of what we do or why we do it.

Never known a player to cause as many goals and not get dropped but if were being honest he’s been a great servant and when he’s on form he’s a good player.

SO you haven't read the article, but are commenting on a thread about said article.

You are allowed an opinion, but it's a cracking insight which former players are interviewed, in which they state he is very much a leader.

You are also coming across a very angry man in your response to being questioned about not reading said article. strange.
Ma response is to the OP’s comment and I was sarcastically firing back at your comment where I’ve made ma thoughts clear at the end of my post

Back