Jordan Campbell on Tav

Tav will only be appreciated once he has gone. It’s that simple
He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.

Reading the article won’t really change my opinion on him as captain so there’s no really a need. You like him as captain that’s fine, I’ve nae right to tell you not too

I haven't said anything about your opinion on Tav, but you did respond to a thread about an article on Tav and it's clear you didn't read the article.

He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.

No he doesn't

He just isn't the only threat in the team now.

Prior to last season EVERYTHING went through him

Now we have so many other options and weapons we don't need to lean so heavily on Tav, so it appears his contribution is less, when actually it is still as valuable and productive.

Great article, love long reads like that. I'm a big fan of Tav's although he (and the rest of the team) won't be fully appreciated until they've fought and won a league title, nor should they.

Great article, love long reads like that. I'm a big fan of Tav's although he (and the rest of the team) won't be fully appreciated until they've fought and won a league title, nor should they.

Exactly, come May and a Treble Tav will be spoken about very differently.

Some posters just like having their knickers in a twist though.

I‘d say the only other option who comes close is Goldson. As I’ve posted before, I sat in the main stand at Motherwell around Christmas last year. Strange experience. Eerily quiet so you could hear everything the players and coaches were shouting. The two most vocal in our team, by a considerable distance, were Tav and Goldson. The idea that Tav is ‘too quiet’ is bullshit.

Ryan Jack

Ryan Jack

Nope. He played that day but after Tav and Goldson, the next most vocal - albeit a long way behind - was Scott Arfield. The two who are ‘in charge’ of that Rangers team on the pitch are Tav and Goldson. I actually think Goldson just edges it but there’s little in it.

Unfortunately for Tav, as good a player as he is, a Rangers Captain is ultimately measure on lifting silverware. Under he does that people will continue to question him.
From my point of view (not to jinx him) he’s improved enormously as a player.

He needs to lead the team to the title and possibly a cup if he wants to be remembered as a great Rangers captain.
It doesn’t matter if he’s the best right back we’ve had in 7 or 8 years.
It’s leading the team to success he will be remembered for.

Gerrard has made mistakes that have cost both Liverpool and England games. Was he never a captain either?

Tavernier is an excellent captain and one of our best players.

People won’t realise that until he’s not playing for us anymore.
See this btw, I've been harsh on Tav but his stats speak for themselves. Until there's trophys put in that cabinet I wouldn't miss one of them leaving stats n goals are all fine and well but if you aren't providing the goods with them then they realistically count for %^*& all. I'd rather a team that was bland and boring but put the points up. Rather than a team that swatted the likes of Hamilton n st mirren away but arses collapsed at crunch time.

Unfortunately for Tav, as good a player as he is, a Rangers Captain is ultimately measure on lifting silverware. Under he does that people will continue to question him.
From my point of view (not to jinx him) he’s improved enormously as a player.

Which is absolute nonsense in all honesty. What do folk expect from a right wing back? For him to single handedly drag us to titles? His numbers speak for themselves, he's doing HIS job far more often than he's not.

Sadly in recent years too many others around him have let us down, and what's why we've not won trophies. And before folk bring up the Stoke cup final, watch the game back and have a look at where we really lost the game. Hint: it wasn't solely down to Tav.

All the players he’s played with/plays with - Captain

Steven Gerrard and his team - Captain

Yer da on FF/Twitter - Never a Captain
The manager and players he plays with would never come out and say he isn't captain material no matter what their thoughts on the subject are

This really shouldn't be a conversation let alone a debate.

Tav is a class act, his stats back it up. Its a myth that he constantly costs us goals. (Thats not saying he hasn't made mistakes, but who hasn't?).

Those saying he can't be viewed as a good captain until he wins something is just wrong. He is more than doing his job, he needs others to do theirs, will the same people when (hopefully) we win trophies this season give all the credit to Tav? Rightly they won't, as it is won and lost as a team. He has also played with some absolute woeful players, is he supposed to win a trophy with Bates, Pena, Martin et al? He has had 103 Rangers team mates, that says it all about the level of players he has been beside.

The article clearly states he is very vocal, he is extremely positive, and is a great guy. That's what a captain is these days. We should have a team full of leaders, for the first we are starting to get there.

The fact is peoples opinions count for nothing, it's the likes of Gerrards who see him day in day out that count.

Amazing value signing and has given us a lot. But Captain, not for me.
He has cost us goals far too many times in pressure situations, that's not a Captain.

Every single person who has been anywhere near the Rangers set up, our training ground or dressing room in recent years says freely that Tav sets the example every single day as a pro, a player and a leader. I am less persuaded than others of the importance of this discussion, but all of these observers surely can’t be totally wrong?

I don't see him as a captain, but in fairness I grew up with captains like Gough and Butcher. To me a captain should be in the thick of it, take that challenge on Morelos, had Gough or Butcher been there they would have been right in there fearless. And not seeing him as a captain has nothing to do with his ability, I find him a decent player but just not a captain or a leader.

Every single person who has been anywhere near the Rangers set up, our training ground or dressing room in recent years says freely that Tav sets the example every single day as a pro, a player and a leader. I am less persuaded than others of the importance of this discussion, but all of these observers surely can’t be totally wrong?
Maybe does, but a Captain is more than that. It's not falling to pieces under pressure, costing us goals under pressure and openly admitting he doesn't like pressure games. A Captain should be someone others can turn to when the going gets tough and can rely on.

If it was rhetorical I wouldn't of used question marks.
Rhetorical questions can still have question marks son, such as my previous post.

If Gerrard didn’t think Tavernier was Captain material there would be a pretty obvious clue which would indicate that.

And you know this do you??
You have won today's 'stupid post'.

You automatically carry over into the 'Stupid post of the week', which you are the front-runner in so-far.

All being well, you will progress to the monthly and even annual events.

If the manager did not think Tav was captain material, he would not have made, then kept him, as captain. Obviously.

Maybe does, but a Captain is more than that. It's not falling to pieces under pressure, costing us goals under pressure and openly admitting he doesn't like pressure games. A Captain should be someone others can turn to when the going gets tough and can rely on.

Maybe so. The manager and everyone else that has worked with and played with him seem to believe they can rely on him.

I think Tavernier has grown into the role and he is clearly respected by his team mates and management.

He might have a calm approach, but it doesn’t make him any less of a leader to someone who screams and shouts.

200k was a steal.

When you see the stats and the very fact he’s our captain I really hope a few so called supporters are hanging their heads in shame he’s a fantastic football player,honestly the Hutton comparison on FF the other day was embarrassing when our manager has to come out and show his support beggars belief.Too many on here and in supporters clubs my own included cannot face the facts,too shamefaced to admit that they’ve got it badly wrong .

Which is absolute nonsense in all honesty. What do folk expect from a right wing back? For him to single handedly drag us to titles? His numbers speak for themselves, he's doing HIS job far more often than he's not.

Sadly in recent years too many others around him have let us down, and what's why we've not won trophies. And before folk bring up the Stoke cup final, watch the game back and have a look at where we really lost the game. Hint: it wasn't solely down to Tav.
None sense it may be however when you think of great Captains within your lifetime what did they all help deliver? Rightly or wrongly the perception is there.

Don’t want another Tavernier bashing thread but he shouldn’t be captain. It’s not that he is especially bad but there are other more suitable candidates in the squad.
Yes, I'm sure Steven Gerrard, without doubt one of the finest players and most influential captains ever produced by a club the size of Liverpool FC, has overlooked every other possible player in the squad and has selected and then stuck with Tav as his captain. The squad respect Tav, they like him, he never hides. I sometimes have my doubts about it and on occasion lose it when he makes a mistake, which is a lot less often than he used to, but I find it difficult to argue with him having the armband.

It's not all about moaning your face off at your team-mates , slamming into tackles and shouting at refs. A winning team will be full of skippers without armbands and with Davis, McGregor, Goldson, Jack, Defoe and Arfield I think we have that.

Back