Jordan Campbell on Tav

I agree that it's been done to death but a Rangers captain shouldn't of came out with the stuff he had said in that match program!! Good player yes but not a captain. Would like to see Borna given the arm band.
Aside from anything else, what has Barisic done, what qualities do you see in him, that would make him a good captain or a better captain than Tavernier?
Why Barisic and not Jack or Kent,

He has a large fan club on here, I think he shone in the championship and also benefited massively from Candeias being the player he was and now plays within himself on the back of all that.
I’m reading this as a bit of a slur.
Is this what you intended?
Are you saying Tavernier doesn’t give 100%?

Don’t be so disgusting and disrespectful.
Stupid and outrageous post.
In your opinion. What is disgusting and what is disrespectful.? What's outrageous? He is not a captain and is not the quality we need at this level. Regularly found out under pressure

All the evidence from his peers and our manager (who incidentally was a superb captain in his playing days) suggests Tavernier is an outstanding captain.

Tav will only be appreciated once he has gone. It’s that simple

if there is one player on our staff I want to see with a trophy (preferably 55) it's him, he's not the best defender in the world of course but for somebody who cost rumoured £200k from Wigan, he's probably been one of our best value signings in the last 20 years with his amount of assists and goals

In your opinion. What is disgusting and what is disrespectful.? What's outrageous? He is not a captain and is not the quality we need at this level. Regularly found out under pressure
This is only your opinion and, thankfully, it seems to be in the minority.
As for your questions, I’d expect a Rangers player to be given more respect, if nothing else, than you’ve given him.
To my mind, only a Rangers hater would say, or post, comments like in your earlier post.

I really think British football fans in particular massively overplay the influence of a captain in 2020. Ultimately, a piece of fabric on someone’s arm means very little and not an indication of how good a leader someone is or isn’t. People just seem to want someone going about screaming, I guess it was what they were used to growing up which is fine.

Tav is massively respected within the squad and certainly seems to be in the same leader mould as Kane. Lead by example with your professionalism and performances.

I really think British football fans in particular massively overplay the influence of a captain in 2020. Ultimately, a piece of fabric on someone’s arm means very little and not an indication of how good a leader someone is or isn’t. People just seem to want someone going about screaming, I guess it was what they were used to growing up which is fine.

Tav is massively respected within the squad and certainly seems to be in the same leader mould as Kane. Lead by example with your professionalism and performances.

Correct. It’s a really boring debate.

You can see - and more importantly hear - from the games behind closed doors that Goldson is the leader of that back four, and he doesn’t need an armband for that.

Tav leads the club by example in pretty much every way, but my only complaint is that I’d love him to show a bit more aggression and protect his players a bit more. However, that’s a problem with our squad in general.

I’m reading this as a bit of a slur.
Is this what you intended?
Are you saying Tavernier doesn’t give 100%?
To an extent yes but slur would imply slagging him for the sake of it, because he has had no real competition I do think he has at least a bit of complacency, I also think we now see that Candeias was very under rated and made JT a far better player.

This is only your opinion and, thankfully, it seems to be in the minority.
As for your questions, I’d expect a Rangers player to be given more respect, if nothing else, than you’ve given him.
To my mind, only a Rangers hater would say, or post, comments like in your earlier post.
Really! I have been following Rangers since the 60's and he is by far the worst captain i have seen.

With regard to respect, i would give him that if he worked on his inability to defend.

To my mind, you have no ability to objectively comment, if you can't understand basic football ability.

Poor captain, can't cross a ball, atrocious corners, caught out against better quality teams

To an extent yes but slur would imply slagging him for the sake of it, because he has had no real competition I do think he has at least a bit of complacency, I also think we now see that Candeias was very under rated and made JT a far better player.
JT has played just fine without him...

Really! I have been following Rangers since the 60's and he is by far the worst captain i have seen.

With regard to respect, i would give him that if he worked on his inability to defend.

To my mind, you have no ability to objectively comment, if you can't understand basic football ability.

Poor captain, can't cross a ball, atrocious corners, caught out against better quality teams

He’s part of a back four that’s just broke an all time record for consecutive clean sheets.

Can he not defend?

Tav makes say 1 or 2 errors a season. When else is he "poor defensively"?

Also how does a guy who cant cross a ball rack up so many assists stats? Pure luck? He has had good and bad performances in big games. Like every player. Its mental how upset folk get with him.

I don’t mind people not rating him - you are wrong in my opinion, but ultimately football is a game of opinions. What is annoying is when people come out with blatant pish like “caught out against better quality teams” and “his inability to defend”.

Tav hasn’t had a tough time vs a Celtic winger since Gerrard came in bar the 1-0 game in September 2018. He also shows up vs better teams in Europe and never actually gets “rinsed” by a winger. He is also part of a defence that has yet to concede this season. You are judging him on the Tav of 16/17 which is just unfair when he has came on leaps and bounds since then.

You can tell those who hate Tav are absolutely choking for him to make a defensive error so they can say they were right.
It is a genuine obsession with some mate. Seen a tweet literally seconds after his goal vs Hamilton along the lines of “aye well that is the crosses Tav has mishit being covered again”.

As I say a genuine obsession with disliking a Rangers player. Gets more stick off our own than some give mentally challengeds FFS.

I don’t mind people not rating him - you are wrong in my opinion, but ultimately football is a game of opinions. What is annoying is when people come out with blatant pish like “caught out against better quality teams” and “his inability to defend”.

Tav hasn’t had a tough time vs a Celtic winger since Gerrard came in bar the 1-0 game in September 2018. He also shows up vs better teams in Europe and never actually gets “rinsed” by a winger. He is also part of a defence that has yet to concede this season. You are judging him on the Tav of 16/17 which is just unfair when he has fame on leaps and bounds since then.
There are certain fans who decide something and never go back on it. They cant comprehend that players develop and overcome earlier downfalls.

Tav makes say 1 or 2 errors a season. When else is he "poor defensively"?

Also how does a guy who cant cross a ball rack up so many assists stats? Pure luck? He has had good and bad performances in big games. Like every player. Its mental how upset folk get with him.

He is poor defensively when it matters..are you so blind you can't see?

I think the thing that’s missing is a trophy. Until that people will say never a capt.

Can’t underestimate a senior pro looking after teammates.

that said sometimes I’d live to see him, as the capt, smash into someone who has halved on of our players and create a weir style bust up
Whilst I get you, in our jersey, he would get a red card and be criticised to death on here.

Tav hasn’t had a tough time vs a Celtic winger since Gerrard came in bar the 1-0 game in September 2018. He also shows up vs better teams in Europe and never actually gets “rinsed” by a winger. He is also part of a defence that has yet to concede this season. You are judging him on the Tav of 16/17 which is just unfair when he has came on leaps and bounds since then.

He has cost us regularly against better quality teams. Hi quality of crossing/corners is awful.

He is poor defensively when it matters..are you so blind you can't see?
I agree with you but will happily eat my words once he consistently does it in our bigger games. I would be interested to know if he has had a brilliant match in our tougher games. They go on about his stats but that figures are skewed by our time in the championship.

Sixties, eh?
You‘d place Tavernier behind Dawson, McLelland, Patterson?
Defend?
Can you not accept that Gerrard and his team know better?
My understanding of football is something you are not qualified to comment on, giving that you don’t know me or my background, either way, for what it’s worth.
Would it matter anyway?
You refuse to accept the accomplished footballer and captain we have as our manager might know better than you.
This in itself rules out your lines about attacking and defending.
Tell me though, who are these better quality teams he gets caught out by?
Legia? Feyenoord? Porto? Young Boys? Braga?
These were the five best teams we played last season before we faced the only team who were genuinely better quality.
I cannot recall Tavernier being embarrassed in any game against them.
Yes he made mistakes but, who didn’t?

Last edited:
There is no doubt Candeias style supported Tavernier’s game.

Last edited:
I agree with you but will happily eat my words once he consistently does it in our bigger games. I would be interested to know if he has had a brilliant match in our tougher games. They go on about his stats but that figures are skewed by our time in the championship.
Did you not watch our bigger games last season.
I can recall only one major error, that in the YB away game.
Please remember, there is a major difference between as error, like in that YB game, and being outskilled, like against Leverkusen.

Did you not watch our bigger games last season.
I can recall only one major error, that in the YB away game.
Please remember, there is a major difference between as error, like in that YB game, and being outskilled, like against Leverkusen.
Yeah I watched most if not all of the games and "f##k sake Tav seemed to be commonly used on here during match threads. Tav is just a player that splits opinion. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong. We will see come May.

Gerrard is happy with him as captain, players are happy with him as captain, ex players say he was a good captain, some fans think he is a terrible captain...... everyone entitled to an opinion, however I think he is a good captain. You dont need to be a shouter, hatchet man etc to be a captain, someone said earlier about who would you rather be captain of our club; tavernier or scott brown? For some on here it must be a tough decision

This post is a quality oxymoron

Well played

I think anyone watching the all or nothing Spurs documentary on Amazon will see there’s no archetype when it comes to a captain. Even Lloris & Kane are different compared to each other & none strike me as the stereotypical “captain”.

Nobody in this thread knows what Tav is like in the dressing room before a game & nobody knows what he’s like on the training ground, but clearly Gerrard sees him as a model professional & good influence.

He wouldn’t have been my first choice initially but I don’t think anyone in our entire team fits the mould of stereotypical captain.

Wow :eek:

Tav’s numbers are fantastic in the premiership but I agree with the championship part

He has cost us regularly against better quality teams. Hi quality of crossing/corners is awful.
Young Boys I’ll give you. I guess I’ll even give you the Celtic game in March 2019 although some may argue that was a slack pass rather than defensive error, A struggle for me to think of anymore in recent times.

Is there much difference between Tav as Captain and Wallace? They’re both quieter players, not shouting every 2 min at players, lead by example on the pitch. Wallace largely played against poorer competition, but I don’t remember the same issues with him as we do Tav.

We have a new leader in the Stupid Post Of The Day competition, and it's a strong entry!

I was taught to be polite to my elders, but.... Get this so far to fcuk.

There's an opinion, and there's spouting shite... And this stinks.

Embarrassing.

Back