Jordan Henderson statement on behalf of Players Together

If I am reading this correctly does it mean instead of taking a pay cut to help rank and file employees at their respective clubs, instead they will each donate money to the NHS charities? Of which the amounts are not stated?

Not saying as a standalone gesture it is not commendable, of course it is. But the timing is highly suspect.

Sorry. I’m confused. Are the players making some kind of donation to this fund or are they just fronting this new charity in a PR exercise to make themselves look a little less greedy?
According to the statement they've been in discussions for the last week. As I said, timing.

Reading between the lines it would seem the players are collectively pissed off about the growing calls for them to surrender big parts of their salaries to negate the need for clubs to use the Government furlough scheme.

Instead, let's make a donation to the NHS. I could be completely wrong, they might yet do both.

According to the statement they've been in discussions for the last week. As I said, timing.

Reading between the lines it would seem the players are collectively pissed off about the growing calls for them to surrender big parts of their salaries to negate the need for clubs to use the Government furlough scheme.

Instead, let's make a donation to the NHS. I could be completely wrong, they might yet do both.

I hope I’m wrong but the statement isn’t clear really.

If I am reading this correctly does it mean instead of taking a pay cut to help rank and file employees at their respective clubs, instead they will each donate money to the NHS charities? Of which the amounts are not stated?

Not saying as a standalone gesture it is not commendable, of course it is. But the timing is highly suspect.

if they paycut then less tax and ni is received by the state

All the statement says is “we’ve created a fund”. No detail as to how many players will contribute, how much they will contribute, how long they will contribute for or if the details of any contributions will be made public so we can identify those who are too greedy and selfish to give up part of their obscene pay.

I’ll save any compliments until they provide the above. Their actions so far show the only thing they fear more than losing money is bad publicity; this nothing statement and the inordinate amount of time it has taken them to get to this stage proves it.

All the statement says is “we’ve created a fund”. No detail as to how many players will contribute, how much they will contribute, how long they will contribute for or if the details of any contributions will be made public so we can identify those who are too greedy and selfish to give up part of their obscene pay.

I’ll save any compliments until they provide the above. Their actions so far show the only thing they fear more than losing money is bad publicity; this nothing statement and the inordinate amount of time it has taken them to get to this stage proves it.

that's a good reason not to make public details like that, it would just descend into criticism as to why player x didn’t love the NHS as much as player y.

This type of gesture gives more back than taking a %wage cut ever does.

It also means the tax is paid on the full salary and the fixed donation goes to the charities.

Great gesture however It doesn’t say how much % they are donating and sorry but like a few others say it’s a bit suspect in the timing

Sounds like a damage limitation exercise given the timing. Almost as if they called a certain damage limitation/good publicity organisation. Anyone know of anyone who do this?

I could be wrong however and this raises a shitload of money. The figures announced at the end may change my current views.

It also means the tax is paid on the full salary and the fixed donation goes to the charities.
And the donation from each player is tax deductible!

On an PL players income I think that they only give up 55p for every £1 you give to charity. Not an accountant so could be wrong.

Last edited:

As already covered, them taking a paycut wouldnt save normal employees. The players quite quickly vcocked onto the fact that even if they took a 20-30% paycut, many clubs were going use the governments money to furlough staff. Therefore the only beneficiaries is the clubs billionaire owners.

shamed Into it, let’s wait and see how much is raised and remember the amounts will be detailed on their tax return so they can offset against tax bill. None of that helps furloughed staff and greed of the clubs who are taking government cash despite making millions.

I read elsewhere that it was 4m. No idea if this is accurate or not, but if so, this is a relatively miserly amount raised. Assuming that every squad has 30 players, earning on average 68k per week, and each one contributed to it, this would be approximately 10% of their weekly salary.

I am sure that some would have generously donated, while others will have given nothing at all. Every donation is more than the NHS had before, but it just seems a bit meh (if the 4m quoted was accurate)

Not overwhelmed. Every time I hear the word 'Charity' in this context I sadly think it's a tax dodge.

Last edited:
If they chuck a fair chunk into this charity then all well n good.
I'm not up on taxes and charitable donations, but if the players are getting full pay shouldn't they be paying full tax, which benefits the UK. If they reduce wages I'm presuming their tax contributions come down. Not sure what happens then if the give a fair bit to charity, but could be a win win.

It was revealed at the first mention of players taking wage cuts that this initiative was in progress, specifically mentioning Jordan Henderson as the driving force behind it.

Does someone publish a list of the charitable donations you make? Guys are doing their but, cant that just be good enough?

Does someone publish a list of the charitable donations you make? Guys are doing their but, cant that just be good enough?
1) I’m not a public figure so no-one is interested
2) I don’t shout from the rooftops about my desire to donate to charity. I just get on with it. Unlike the PL players who have taken weeks to get to the stage of setting up a fund. Still no money in it, but they now have a fund. Whoop-Dee-doo.

You have no right to know what an individual is donating.

Them being high profile memebers of the public does not make them public property.

You have no right to know what an individual is donating.

Them being high profile memebers of the public does not make them public property.
I have the right to criticise them if they make a big song and dance about donating yet then become all coy over how much they donate. They can’t have it both ways. Unlike you, I don’t believe they are above criticism.

I have the right to criticise them if they make a big song and dance about donating yet then become all coy over how much they donate. They can’t have it both ways. Unlike you, I don’t believe they are above criticism.

Anyone can be criticised, that's fine. You have no right to know who much any individual is donating of their own salary, high profile person or not.

1) This is a voluntary contribution from EPL players into a fund to distribute through the selected charity.

2) It is separate from what they agree with their own club.

3) It is separate from talks with the EPL

4) Whatever they give, if they gift aid it the Charity will receive more.

So if I’ve read it properly it must be a good thing.

Anyone can be criticised, that's fine. You have no right to know who much any individual is donating of their own salary, high profile person or not.
I refer you to my previous answer. I’ll criticise them for not making their donations public when they are happy to publicise the creation of the fund. Otherwise, this could just be seen as a big PR stunt to get the press of their backs whilst allowing them to keep the vast majority of their money. Surely even a players’ apologist such as you would agree?

How can you possibly know that? Bare in mind that taking a wage cut may prevent these clubs having to furlough hundreds of non playing staff, so tax payer would not be footing bill for 80% of these people's wages. There are 20 EPL clubs. Lets say they furlough an average of 200 employees each on 20k per year - That works out at just under a £15 million bill for taxpayer for a 12 week period, which will very likely be even longer. Are you expecting these players to collectively donate more than £15 million over the same period?

Some folk are great at spending other people’s money.

They’ll scoff at any donations made by the rich because it doesn’t take up a significant portion of their wealth, yet at the same time contribute nothing themselves.
Jack Dorsey has just pledged 25% of his total fortune.. now that’s what you call a commitment.

How can you possibly know that? Bare in mind that taking a wage cut may prevent these clubs having to furlough hundreds of non playing staff, so tax payer would not be footing bill for 80% of these people's wages. There are 20 EPL clubs. Lets say they furlough an average of 200 employees each on 20k per year - That works out at just under a £15 million bill for taxpayer for a 12 week period, which will very likely be even longer. Are you expecting these players to collectively donate more than £15 million over the same period?

Would the reduction in tax from the wage cut not be more that though? Man Utd alone reportedly pay some £6.5m in player wages per week alone, that would be some £78M in that 12 week period and roughly £35M in tax, a 20% wage cut would reduce that by some £7m.

Full disclosure - I’m dreadful at math so the above may be rubbish.

I refer you to my previous answer. I’ll criticise them for not making their donations public when they are happy to publicise the creation of the fund. Otherwise, this could just be seen as a big PR stunt to get the press of their backs whilst allowing them to keep the vast majority of their money. Surely even a players’ apologist such as you would agree?
Of course they should be able to keep the "vast majority" of their money, why on earth should they not?

I'm not a "player's apologist" more of a wealthy apologist. Blame the wealthy seems to be the go to thing now for anything that goes wrong in this lazy, scrounging country. Wee Senga and her £18k a year job complaining that successful people aren't giving away everything when there's no chance she would match their percentage donation.

What do you earn? And how much have you donated?
Me asking you that is the same as what you are saying. Or does it only work after a certain monetary amount?

Last edited:
As already covered, them taking a paycut wouldnt save normal employees. The players quite quickly vcocked onto the fact that even if they took a 20-30% paycut, many clubs were going use the governments money to furlough staff. Therefore the only beneficiaries is the clubs billionaire owners.

Imagine there was a way to make it a condition of taking a temporary wage cut was that no employees be placed on job retention scheme and were paid 100% of their salary.

reputable news papers reporting it

David Ornstein the most reliable journo in english football it would seem
I can’t read all of the article. What I can see is simply the players refusing a 30% pay cut without being able to suggest an alternative (at that time). Hardly the sign of people who were “desperate” to do something.

Back