Jordan Jones and the desperation to play him

Wouldn't say I'm desperate for him to play. But I think he is a good player and while not a first choice pick I think he can offer the team a lot, he has skill and speed and isn't afraid to take a shot.

Jones - one good performance in some 15 months at the club.

The would carry more weight if he had been available for that entire time.

He looked a decent option before the injury, I recall he terrorised Midtiylland with pace.

The fact that his ‘one good performance’ has come so recently folk are right to think he’s an exciting alternative. A very handy backup for the guys playing.

He also has history on the magic carpet we’ll play on tomorrow.

is Jones really better than Barker though?

I think alot of football fans, and i dont want to sound pretentious on the matter only see black and white. They dont see the whole game like creating space and off the ball movement.
Jones is a much better player.

It'll be 4231 tomorrow, I know that and the Kilmarnock manager will already know that.

Who the 3 are behind Morelos is the only thing up for discussion, I think it will be Aribo, Kent and Arfield.

For me in January we should be looking to move on both Jones/Barker aswell as Greg Stewart we need better quality if we can move on those 3 and get 2 in ( a pacy wide man with better quality and another good number 10) it would be excellent

The would carry more weight if he had been available for that entire time.

He looked a decent option before the injury, I recall he terrorised Midtiylland with pace.

The fact that his ‘one good performance’ has come so recently folk are right to think he’s an exciting alternative. A very handy backup for the guys playing.

He also has history on the magic carpet we’ll play on tomorrow.
Whilst I agree with you, the reason he wasn’t available was also down to his own immature actions. Good luck to him

Jordan jones is extremely overrated by people on here, he’s never done anything to warrant any sort of consistent run. Sure he played well against Motherwell, he followed that up with a stinker against Ross county. It’s why he can’t be relied upon. Between him and barker there isn’t much between them, as much as some people like to state other wise. Barker you can at least rely upon to give you effort in tracking back etc, jones doesn’t give you that and I suspect that’s why Gerrard prefers barker over Jones.

following on from the Hagi thread the other night and people wanting Jones in ahead of him for Sunday.

First things first, Kilmarnock will sit in deep, Jones only attribute which is his pace will wasted.

secondly, Jones is not good enough for this team or system. hes been here for two seasons and cant get a look in for a reason. Granted the goal against Motherwell was superb but he didnt do much else all game. He has had his chances and not taken them and its plainly obvious the management team feel the same.

Im not writing him off as a player but he doesn't have the ability or awareness to play for our team week in week out, he suits playing for a counter attacking team where there is a lot of open space to move into.

i hate to say it but i wonder if Jones was Romanian or Danish or whatever there would be so much noise for him
Difference being. People have put up a genuine argument to start him in one game.
Horses for courses and what not.
You've just screamed how shite he is.
Our manager bought him, so you're undermining your own point.

There is no clamour for Jones to be a first pick.
There's a clamour by you to stick him on the scrap heap regardless.
And anyone else is objectively discussing the possible merits of giving him a start in a one of game that may suit.
Safe in the knowledge we can easily sub him on or before halftime if it's not working.

I think the reason Barker is still about is he follows the instructions that the management team set out, especially when we don't have the ball.

We do need an upgrade there, but it isn't going to be Jones imo.

following on from the Hagi thread the other night and people wanting Jones in ahead of him for Sunday.

First things first, Kilmarnock will sit in deep, Jones only attribute which is his pace will wasted.

secondly, Jones is not good enough for this team or system. hes been here for two seasons and cant get a look in for a reason. Granted the goal against Motherwell was superb but he didnt do much else all game. He has had his chances and not taken them and its plainly obvious the management team feel the same.

Im not writing him off as a player but he doesn't have the ability or awareness to play for our team week in week out, he suits playing for a counter attacking team where there is a lot of open space to move into.

i hate to say it but i wonder if Jones was Romanian or Danish or whatever there would be so much noise for him
So you started a thread desperate NOT to play him?

For those saying Barker gives you effort and tracks back, watch how effective he is at this.
He's another Windass, just accompanies opponent as they run with the ball then gives up.
What was it Gerrard said at this first training session about "pretending"? Barker is the worst at this.
He's another 'project'.

Greg Stewart still living off last season's game against Aberdeen at Ibrox. Done very little to impress since then.

Barker clearly favoured over both Stewart and Jones. Probably because he's more aware, disciplined and understands what the managers asks in terms of shape, in and out of possession, movement.

If we go a goal or 2 up, and if, big if, they attempt a comeback, I think Jones would be the perfect substitute. He's quicksilver on the break.

While he may not play every week I think there is a place for him.There is more to his game than just pace,he can place a pass or a cross as well.
A lot of our game is based on turning the ball over in mid field and launching a counter attack. I think he could do a turn against your Hibs and Aberdeens who do try and attack and in Europe.
Remember he has spent months out injured.Hes not the best we have ever signed but I wouldn't be chasing him out the door.

Yet Barker frequently gets in the team ahead of Jones. Why is that?
I think probably multiple factors. Performance in training, following tactical instructions, work off the ball etc.

Neither Barker or Jones has particularly overly impressed me though and would have Stewart ahead of them both, but probably for similar reasons to the above he isn't. With Hagi, Aribo and Roofe all able to play there then I don't think Jones, Barker or Stewart are on our best 11

I think Davis has to play on Thursday though.

He sets the midfield tempo in our European games mate and 1 game a week keeps him playing at a high level, without fatigue kicking in.
It's a conundrum right enough.
Playing Jack and Kamara leaves us short of numbers in the forward areas.
I'd be tempted to go with Jack, Arfield and Aribo.
I'd go Kent, Alfie & Roofe up top.
The more potential goalscorers the better tomorrow.

It's a conundrum right enough.
Playing Jack and Kamara leaves us short of numbers in the forward areas.
I'd be tempted to go with Jack, Arfield and Aribo.
I'd go Kent, Alfie & Roofe up top.
The more potential goalscorers the better tomorrow.

I've a feeling it may be Kamara and Jack (if fit).

I also wouldn't be suprised to see Arfield, Aribo and Kent in behind Morelos.
I just wonder if he'll risk Roofe on the plastic, mate.

i think it is in large part due to all the game time Brandon Barker gets and how completely out of place he looks in the vast majority of his appearances.

That's the middle to front I'm expecting as well.

Defensively I reckon Balogun will keep his place, with Helander coming back in on Thursday when we will likely be defending a bit deeper.

Outside chance McLaughlin could come in for Greegs given he seems to have back issues unsuited to the pitch. Odds are against it though.
I didn't bother guessing a defence as Tav & Goldson are a given if fit, Bassey can do a job if required and Balogun/Helander are sound, as is the replacement keeper.

Our weakness down there has been shipping poor goals, if our middle to front players perform as we would hope our defence seems sound whichever 5 players play.
(I say middle to front, if Tav & Borna play and play well in an attacking sense that only adds to our attacking threat)

You only need to look at Jones' goal at Fir Park. Motherwell are more willing to put men forward and Jones found space in behind them and used his pace.

Against Killie i really dont envisage them playing any sort of high line at any phase of the game, even their full backs.

Yes Jones might be used to the surface at Rugby Park, but tactically would he make more of an imapct than Barker?

Matter of opinion what is most likely to work at a difficult venue for us,good thing is the staff seem to have found a better balance in utilising the players to get results which then breeds confidence.
Personally I think they have a blind spot with Barker I just don't see it with him.
Jones is used to the surface and Kent looks a bit off the boil of late,I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to suggest he starts.

The lack of space in behind is potentially an issue don't get me wrong but I think it's less of an issue away to Killie than the likes of Livi as an example.
Kent looks mentally fatigued a bit to me but I don't see him every day in training.

The amount of games we're playing I'm happy to see a decent level of rotation to hopefully lengthen our winning run,the staff are doing incredibly well so far.

Its not desperation to play him, its simple Kent cant keep playing every game so Jones should play more. Jones should play in front of Barker, its not even up for debate.

Matter of opinion what is most likely to work at a difficult venue for us,good thing is the staff seem to have found a better balance in utilising the players to get results which then breeds confidence.
Personally I think they have a blind spot with Barker I just don't see it with him.
Jones is used to the surface and Kent looks a bit off the boil of late,I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to suggest he starts.

The lack of space in behind is potentially an issue don't get me wrong but I think it's less of an issue away to Killie than the likes of Livi as an example.
Kent looks mentally fatigued a bit to me but I don't see him every day in training.

The amount of games we're playing I'm happy to see a decent level of rotation to hopefully lengthen our winning run,the staff are doing incredibly well so far.
I can't see it with Barker either.
I want him to be a success, I recognise he has qualities, but I can't ignore how he often hides from the ball and is slow to get involved in the more physical aspects of the game.
I also can't believe I am the only person who notices this?

Reactions: cav
Its not desperation to play him, its simple Kent cant keep playing every game so Jones should play more. Jones should play in front of Barker, its not even up for debate.

Of course it is up for debate.

Both have yet to reach any level of consistency.

Jones did well against Motherwell and was then very poor against Ross County.

Barker came on and scored a vital goal in the same game, but has also had some poor performances.

Both of them have plenty to prove.

Back