Jordan Jones - I’d like to see him get more game time.

Completely agree Kent needs resting he has been in in a barren patch for a while now and Jones could help ease the burden on him domestically
This is a bit of a myth to be honest, just because his numbers are down doesn't mean he isn't contributing in the final third, he is still vital in building up our attacking play.

Neither Jones or Barker are near good enough for Rangers.
Would be happier if Stewart got more game time

Those four are the top players, for sure, however it's not prevented Jones and Barker from getting relatively decent game time this season. Aside from the game in Gibraltar I can't really remember Stewart playing. I feel for him, Jones let the manager and team down last year, Barker has had one or two good games max from memory yet gets game regularly and Stewart hardly gets on the bench.
I think the injuries to Aribo and Roofe resulted in more game time for Barker & Jones.

Hagi is being protected and dropping out sometimes, forget sometimes how young he is.

Barker I think works very hard off the ball, seems to take tactical I structions well

I wrote him off and I'm still not fully convinced by him. If he can make the most of his limited minutes, he'll get chances.

Thought he would have got more of a run out at the weekend after a few good performances before the international break.

I actually thought he would have played at the weekend and Kent given a bit of a rest. One needs game time and the other needs to be kept fresh and ready to perform in our tougher games.

This is a bit of a myth to be honest, just because his numbers are down doesn't mean he isn't contributing in the final third, he is still vital in building up our attacking play.
Not really. Work rate is always good but on the ball he has produced very little and wasted a lot of opportunities.

As an aside, these threads make me realise just how far we’ve come as a team these past few years with Stevie and his team at the helm.

The quality of player we now have us night and day, without spending stupidly.

Thought he's looked really sharp in the time he’s played this season but how can we fit him in when the team are playing so well?

Does he deserve more of an opportunity like Barker has this season?
Motherwell game he looked decent in spurts, and I dont think we can question his defensive abilities playing in Clarke’s system so effectively at Killie - the fact is he has worked his way back from the brink - but with Hagi, Aribo,Barker, Roofe, Kent and Arfield all ahead in the pecking order - its hard to see him getting more time.

Tbh we need squad players like Barker and Jones, we can’t afford the cost of having a full squad of 100% 1st team regulars as much as we might want or need it

It’s also a case of using the right tool for the job and when games are stretched we’ll need pacy players - probably why we saw Jones for the last part of the Livi game.

His and Barker's position in the squad is the only place we need to find better quality imo. Both are ok if you look across the squad that wide right role is where we lack quality and depth.

Yeah, I think Jones has more to offer. If Kent is not fully on it or when Hagi is quiet I’d have no problem starting him. It does seem like he is underused.

The fact that him and Barker are nowhere near as effective as Kent and Hagi then it makes it difficult Jones and Barker should be sold to fund a better quality 10/winger that will challenge Kent and Hagi more affectively
Where are you getting a player like that for circa £500k?

Barker is a real head scratcher for me. Clearly, we have coaches and a management team that know what they are doing but, for the life of me, I just can’t see a footballer in Barker.

I watched a bit of one of those classic SPL matches. I think it finished 2 1 to Rangers against Hibs at Easter Road. David Bates should have been penalised for a handball in the box.

My point is Barker was playing for Hibs and the bit I saw he was outstanding. He fired in two brilliant shots. The first tipped on to the post by Fod and the second flying like a rocket over the bar. He looked a different player.

I think its lack of confidence. When we scored against Celtic he didnt seem included in the celebrations. He was like an outsider. Perhaps he feels he doesnt belong. Ive seen this happen in other walks of life. Ive even seen this highlighted in team building programmes.

Gerrard obviously rates him so Im hoping whatever is holding him back can be resolved. The boy can play.

I watched a bit of one of those classic SPL matches. I think it finished 2 1 to Rangers against Hibs at Easter Road. David Bates should have been penalised for a handball in the box.

My point is Barker was playing for Hibs and the bit I saw he was outstanding. He fired in two brilliant shots. The first tipped on to the post by Fod and the second flying like a rocket over the bar. He looked a different player.

I think its lack of confidence. When we scored against Celtic he didnt seem included in the celebrations. He was like an outsider. Perhaps he feels he doesnt belong. Ive seen this happen in other walks of life. Ive even seen this highlighted in team building programmes.

Gerrard obviously rates him so Im hoping whatever is holding him back can be resolved. The boy can play.

Yeah what your describing is plain to see. Maybe he doesn’t feel himself he is up to the standard. He needs more self confidence. I actually thought no crowds would help him. He was probably more comfortable in that Hibs team.

He had a great chance on Sunday to burst through on the GK and was robbed of the ball. These are chances if he wants to move further up the order he has to take.
I thought with that run he was focusing more on trying to get the defender sent off with a mistimed tackle instead of going straight through on goal as he cuts back into direction Devlin was running in.

I am not a fan of Jones at all he did well against Motherwell and scored a good goal but he was poor against Ross County. Jones is effective when he has space to run into which he isn't going to get on Sunday so I don't see him playing. I was surprised for the way we play in Europe he wasn't added in the squad but I know we have to go with a smaller squad in Europe due to homegrown rules.

Combine whatever fees we get for Jones and Barker and their wages and we could target a player in the last six months of his deal or get a high quality loan in
If we got Jones, Barker, Stewart off the bill the wages freed up could comfortably go towards a quality attacker who can produce the goods and bring something different to the squad.

When we scored against Celtic he didnt seem included in the celebrations. He was like an outsider. Perhaps he feels he doesnt belong. Ive seen this happen in other walks of life. Ive even seen this highlighted in team building programmes.
171020-Celtic-v-Rangers-Goldson-Second-Goal-Celebration-45.jpg

171020-Celtic-v-Rangers-Goldson-Second-Goal-Celebration-47.jpg

Whatever you or your work paid for those team-building sessions was clearly too much.

His lack of game time is extremely poor imo. He's a better player than his game time suggests.

Even at the weekend, he gets barely any time to make an impact when the game was done ages ago and we could easily be whipping Kent off straight away to give him some rest ahead of tougher games coming up.

I find his treatment quite baffling to be honest.

171020-Celtic-v-Rangers-Goldson-Second-Goal-Celebration-45.jpg

171020-Celtic-v-Rangers-Goldson-Second-Goal-Celebration-47.jpg

Whatever you or your work paid for those team-building sessions was clearly too much.

You obviously picked those stills in an attempt to undermine my point. However, you should take a look at the full footage and you'll see Barker is very much an outsider literally during the celebrations. Im sure you must have seen this when you were selecting your pictures.

Two things strike me. The first is your pictures dont show Barker interacting with his team mates. He's simply running along beside them albeit he's acting in a similar manner to them.

The second point is why go to all the bother to try undermine my post? Im not criticising anyone least of all Barker. Im just suggesting a possible reason why he's not fulfilling his potential as he's obviously a talented player.

You obviously picked those stills in an attempt to undermine my point. However, you should take a look at the full footage and you'll see Barker is very much an outsider literally during the celebrations. Im sure you must have seen this when you were selecting your pictures.

Two things strike me. The first is your pictures dont show Barker interacting with his team mates. He's simply running along beside them albeit he's acting in a similar manner to them.

The second point is why go to all the bother to try undermine my post? Im not criticising anyone least of all Barker. Im just suggesting a possible reason why he's not fulfilling his potential as he's obviously a talented player.
The effort consisted of me uploading two pictures already saved on my phone and hitting "post reply." There was no extensive search.

I'm not trying to "undermine your post", I just disagree with you, I Think Barker gets on fine with his team mates, or at least I'm not willing to hold a view to the contrary based on pictures or videos of him on the pitch especially when he looks perfectly happy in them. If I had a pound for every time a self appointed body-language expert has decided a Rangers player isn't happy and then posted it on Follow Follow based on a cursory glance at some pictures or videos then I'd be a very rich man.

Yeah what your describing is plain to see. Maybe he doesn’t feel himself he is up to the standard. He needs more self confidence. I actually thought no crowds would help him. He was probably more comfortable in that Hibs team.

Have a look at the post by Broomloan. Its amazing how hard some posters will work just to disagree. Its not as if Im criticising Barker. Far from it. Im just trying to understand why its not going as well as it could for him.

Got to do more and be more consistent. Apart from the goal at Motherwell I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest he should be in a starting 11.

I think Jones' experience on Killie's artificial surface would be a big reason for giving him a run out. Others would be to give Kent a break, and also to avoid the risk of injury to some of the more established starters

The effort consisted of me uploading two pictures already saved on my phone and hitting "post reply." There was no extensive search.

I'm not trying to "undermine your post", I just disagree with you, I Think Barker gets on fine with his team mates, or at least I'm not willing to hold a view to the contrary based on pictures or videos of him on the pitch especially when he looks perfectly happy in them. If I had a pound for every time a self appointed body-language expert has decided a Rangers player isn't happy and then posted it on Follow Follow based on a cursory glance at some pictures or videos then I'd be a very rich man.

There you go again. Attack attack attack.

Why dont you post the footage of Barker standing behind the others congratulating Goldson? Id do it if I knew how because it would illustrate the point Im making.

Incidentally seeing as how you're a "self appointed expert" perhaps you can offer an alternative explanation as to Barker's form on match days. Gerrard and others include him based on what they see every day in training and I think Andy Little gave glowing reports too. So you can perhaps enlighten us to what's going on.

Perhaps too you can explain why you feel the need to try to ridicule my post? Do you think that's acceptable?

Perhaps clever man management from Gerrard? Jones makes a c@nt of things in that Old Firm, injured and then not doing enough to get back in. Finally clicks with Jones and forces his way back into the plans, Gerrard then moves the carrot further away, he's had a sniff, but Gerrard wants even more. Just my thoughts.

There you go again. Attack attack attack.

Why dont you post the footage of Barker standing behind the others congratulating Goldson? Id do it if I knew how because it would illustrate the point Im making.

Incidentally seeing as how you're a "self appointed expert" perhaps you can offer an alternative explanation as to Barker's form on match days. Gerrard and others include him based on what they see every day in training and I think Andy Little gave glowing reports too. So you can perhaps enlighten us to what's going on.

Perhaps too you can explain why you feel the need to try to ridicule my post? Do you think that's acceptable?
You are taking this far too personally. Ridicule? I disagree with your opinion, I'm not even being remotely rude to you.

You are taking this far too personally. Ridicule? I disagree with your opinion, I'm not even being remotely rude to you.

You're sarcastic comment about paying to much for team building is personal.

I notice too you claim to have posted two pictures you had saved on your phone. I very much doubt it anway why not have a look at the full footage and you'll see what I mean about Barker being an 'outsider'. You dont need to bother posting the pictures because it might make your original post look foolish. I know how that feels.

Perhaps clever man management from Gerrard? Jones makes a c@nt of things in that Old Firm, injured and then not doing enough to get back in. Finally clicks with Jones and forces his way back into the plans, Gerrard then moves the carrot further away, he's had a sniff, but Gerrard wants even more. Just my thoughts.

Stand by to be attacked. There's posters on here dying to prove others wrong.

I think you may be right. It makes sense though Im no expert.

We keep hearing how good Barker is in training but there is no evidence of this in an actual game.

Jones would certainly do no worse than BB.

Hard to argue with that but I guess SG is seeing something in training that we dont see in games. I could speculate but that's not welcomed on here. Lets just leave it as a mystery.

Never been convinced by him but even his recent performances have been more positive than I had expected.

Bit limited in the respect he is only useful against teams with space in behind or where we can hit on the counter. Definitely better than Barker.

Imo Hagi has to play against teams who park the bus (particularly this upcoming weekend), preferably spending a fair amount of time centrally where he can pick slot passes through to runners.

If he could up his game I’d love to see us have him and Kent either side of our striker.
I think given the chances he’s had and what he’s contributed, he should be given more of an opportunity than he is, but it’s hard to criticise or complain when the team keeps winning.

Back