Jordan Jones

What talent does Barker possess other than pace which he never seems to use ? I don't see any natural talent he does the same thing over and over again couple of step overs with the trademark pass back to Barisic or into midfield.

Anytime he's stepped onto the pitch he has looked shell shocked and way out of his depth and he has been been given chances by the management.

I don't see it with him some may do fair enough but he's another in a long line of squad players who we brought in and quickly found out to be mediocre and not good enough.
Google Brandon Barker and look at results from before he joined Hibs.

He was considered one of the best youth players in Europe and Pep Guardiola immediately put him into the senior team upon joining City.

He’s got more natural talent than most in our squad, he just has serious confidence issues.

Middleton for me any day. He can score from a set piece and whilst not great he has some end product. Jones has done next to nothing for us and I can’t see what he offers at all. He constantly gives away, can’t pick or execute a pass to save his life and his shooting is abysmal!

He also wasn’t ‘highly appreciated’ down south. Even in League One he couldn’t hold down a starting spot and the Sunderland fans don’t want him back.
Fair enough mate, I'm not saying he has grabbed the opportunity.

Just pointing to the fact he cost £350k I believe, same ballpark as Jake Hastie.

There was a moment in the 2nd half where young Kelly (what a player he is btw) received a pass and with one touch played a killer through ball to Jones who was on the edge of the box - Jones was static and by the time he realised the pass to him was on, it was too late, a waste of a very good ball.

He's not even good enough for Kelly never mind Rangers.

Was quite surprised how long he got today, the drop off between Kent and Jones is enormous.

Still think we want another player in that position

Was hoping someone was in the stand watching him for a move

Struggled today , think he has more than he has offered today and across his time but it seems psychologically for whatever reasons he cannot do it

There was a moment in the 2nd half where young Kelly (what a player he is btw) received a pass and with one touch played a killer through ball to Jones who was on the edge of the box - Jones was static and by the time he realised the pass to him was on, it was too late, a waste of a very good ball.

He's not even good enough for Kelly never mind Rangers.
Yeah that was the one that it seemed like the pass to `Hagi who was wider right would be played . That was more obvious .

Kelly played a lovely , more dangerous pass , to Jordan but alas it was too much for him .

agree regarding SK .

Last edited:
The hating on here for this young guy is beyond a fkin joke! Thank fk SG doesn’t listen to the pish on here. I’ve seen Kent, Jack, Goldson etc written off by the FIFA football mgrs of FF (and no, I’m not comparing Jones to any of them but Gerrard sees something.)

Think he was trying too hard to impress, there is talent in there but not consistent enough to be at Rangers. Hope he gets a decent move down south, cant forget his assist for Morelos against Legia

Last edited:
He might just not make it with us long term but hes nowhere near as bad as this thread suggests. Good coaches work to get something out of players like him.

I believe that Jones is the kind of player who thrives on confidence. Could it be that he knows he's for the off and this has impacted his morale, and consequently, his on -field form - I suspect do.

We have seen since he joined Rangers glimpses of what he can do - but unfortunately only glimpses. I continue to believe here is a player there, perhaps not someone who is to be considered an automatic starter, but nevertheless someone - if he believes he is genuinely part of Gerrard's team - can make a positive contribution to the cause.

Considering his previous I think he surprisingly had a lot of pre season minutes.
In said minutes he has showed again he is not good enough
Think the clock is ticking and cannot see him at the club in 2 weeks time
Wonder if is getting "shop window" minutes?
JJ is absolutely miles off it a little disappointing as I thought he'd have been a great signing when he came from Killie

Guys surprised at the amount of game time he is getting? Stevie G told us in the interview yesterday, “there are guys constantly chapping my door asking for game time as they feel they are working hard in training. Ok, this is your time, go and show me what you can do.” For me it obvious, try and change my mind that you have what it takes to displace current first team players or at least show me that you can offer something coming off the bench. I’m not sure just how long Jones got yesterday, but from what I saw, he didn’t do anything of note that would make Stevie change his mind. The game is up for him I’m afraid, he has no future at Rangers.

The hating on here for this young guy is beyond a fkin joke! Thank fk SG doesn’t listen to the pish on here. I’ve seen Kent, Jack, Goldson etc written off by the FIFA football mgrs of FF (and no, I’m not comparing Jones to any of them but Gerrard sees something.)

That’s why he’s barely featured under Gerrard and was sent on loan to Sunderland last season. 19 appearances in all competitions, 7 starts since joining from Kilmarnock.

Safe to say his career lies away from Ibrox.

Pretty much covered it in the match thread but I'll say it again.

Offers nothing to this team whatsoever
Wasteful in possession
Loses the ball repeatedly
Takes the wrong option time and time again
Barely takes a man on
Doesn't possess any basic or creative skills
Such a poor Footballer with very little ability (Pace is his only asset)

Same bracket as Barker in all honesty.

Jones is dross and needs to go.
Barker is actually a far better player and has a football brain. Though he isn’t good enough either.

He was considered one of the best youth players in Europe and Pep Guardiola immediately put him into the senior team upon joining City.

He’s got more natural talent than most in our squad, he just has serious confidence issues.
Doesn’t help not playing for 5/6 weeks then getting the occasional 5/10 here and there

Barker, Jones , Edmunsen , Middleton, and one or two others will find pastures new shortly . Wish them well

Runs down blind alleys and has very little end product get what we can for him and move him on should be way down the pecking order I'd rather keep Barker at least he keeps his head down and stays out of trouble

He hasn't lit up Ibrox but I don't see how people are coming to the conclusion that he's a toxic waster who needs to go pronto.

Dug us out of a hole v Motherwell early last season something we couldn't do when he missed the game there at the end of the season.
I say persevere with him.

What he did at Man City is irrelevant he may have ripped it up at youth level and shown some promise but this is the now and he has done nothing in a Rangers jersey I'm afraid.

And if he has serious confidence issues he is at the wrong club.

£10,000 a week we are wasting on him "Apparently"

He needs to go.

What he did at Man City is irrelevant he may have ripped it up at youth level and shown some promise but this is the now and he has done nothing in a Rangers jersey I'm afraid.

And if he has serious confidence issues he is at the wrong club.

£10,000 a week we are wasting on him "Apparently"

He needs to go.
I agree entirely, I just wouldn't insult the guy by lumping him in with Jones.

Dug us out of a hole v Motherwell early last season something we couldn't do when he missed the game there at the end of the season.
I say persevere with him.
I also recall in our crucial away game against Midtjylland, JJ and Aribo were among our standout players.

As I said in a previous post, I suspect Jones is one of those players who thrives on confidence. Since his unfortunate tackle and sending off against celtic in his first season which put him in Gerrard's dog-house he has never really gotten his Ibrox career back on track. The lengthly injury that resulted from the incident obviously didn't help his cause either, coupled with Gerrard's reluctance to give him playing time after he recovered. All of which meant, i suspect, that JJ never really felt wanted or really part of the team, which in turn impacted his confidence and his form.

Alas, given the bloated size of the Rangers squad, JJ's days at Ibrox are likely numbered, and it will be a case of what might have been.

I accept I'm not the most balanced judge of Jones as I never wanted us to sign him in the first place, but it does surprise me that any fan thinks he's worth another chance or wants him to stay. He's not done anywhere near enough on the pitch to justify that and off it he's been hard work to say the least.

If Roofe, Aribo and Barker had all been available I'm not sure he'd have been involved this weekend, but we'll never know.

I've never saw a player run directly into opposition players as much as this guy.
He looks “busy” and is confident, which are decent traits I suppose but at some point you have to come up with quality.

He’s had a few good games, so I won’t be harsh on him as I never wanted us to sign him anyway but it’s time to move him on.

... yet for some reason, a certain Steven Gerrard picked that one player for 45 mins vs Tranmere and 69 mins vs Brighton in the 4 friendlies we`ve had.

It remains a mystery why there is so much animosity towards that player, an animosity that puts those levelled at Black and Barton to shame. Maybe sometimes people just need a sow that has to be twigged through the village, as we use to say over here.

Alas, it will be SG`s choice to make a decision on him.

... yet for some reason, a certain Steven Gerrard picked that one player for 45 mins vs Tranmere and 69 mins vs Brighton in the 4 friendlies we`ve had.

It remains a mystery why there is so much animosity towards that player, an animosity that puts those levelled at Black and Barton to shame. Maybe sometimes people just need a sow that has to be twigged through the village, as we use to say over here.

Alas, it will be SG`s choice to make a decision on him.

Morelos isn't available, Kent and Aribo have had knocks and Sakala had to self isolate and barely trained. Gerrard has barely given him a run-out as a substitute when Jones has been available - that's a far bigger indicator of what Gerrard thinks of him than playing him in friendlies when several options are unavailable. Add to that, Jones done the grand sum of %^*& all in these pre-season friendlies to suggest he's going to feature at all for us going forward.

Considering his previous I think he surprisingly had a lot of pre season minutes.
In said minutes he has showed again he is not good enough
Think the clock is ticking and cannot see him at the club in 2 weeks time
Wonder if is getting "shop window" minutes?
I honestly didn't know he was on the pitch until about 60 minutes.

Middleton is a far better option than Jones. Bringing Willie Johnston back would be a better option than Jones

5hkadg.jpg

Latest posts

Back