Jordan Jones

LiviLoyal

Only seen parts of the game live yesterday as I am on holiday just now but watched it back on RTV last night once back in the hotel and was really impressed by Jones yesterday. He’s a confident lad isn’t he? Got some swagger about him. I know he didn’t get on the scoresheet but he contributed a lot against Sakai who is a very good full back.

Tried an elastico or whatever it’s called to win the corner that he then fired onto Katic’s head before Dick Turpin tapped it in.

Had some first touch in the first half at one point too where he pulled a ball out of the air that Barisic had clipped forward in his direction.

Been really impressed with him so far and hope he keeps it up.

Would be happy enough for him and ojo to start the season as our first choice wingers with hastie , Murphy and candeais pushing them all the way

Jones is likely to prove to be an useful signing and with good quality coaching available to him there is definite potential for him to improve.

He was good without being spectacular mate.

Is a little guilty of not releasing the ball at the right time, but still played well.

He was unlucky not to get a goal. Good save from their keeper. I like the attacking options we have this season

But we don't play wingers, we play wide forwards.

Arfield will play the role he finished last season in, and is probably our best player in there.
Yeah, central. If you look back i quoted Stewart as the previous post mentioned wingers, which Arfield isnt!

Yeah, central. If you look back i quoted Stewart as the previous post mentioned wingers, which Arfield isnt!

And we ain't playing wingers.

Arfield, Jones, Ojo, Stewart, Murphy, Hastie and Candeias are all fighting to occupy 2 positions. That's my point.

Except Arfield isn`t a winger!

We're playing 2 narrow attackers behind the main striker mate, as we did towards the end of last season.

Ojo on the right and Arfield on the left look the best options as things stand currently.

Plenty of competition though from Stewart, Murphy, Jones, Hastie, plus Candeias was absolutely outstanding in the role, 1st half yesterday.

Im going to go against the grian an little, he shows flashes of brilliance but the seems to run into trouble and looses the ball a few times to often

i'll give me another 10/15 games before making judgement but im not won over by him yet

I'm not convinced by him either. Was surprised when so many felt he played well against St Joseph's.

However - he's not a player I wanted us to sign, so I'm more than aware that I may not be balanced in terms of judgement just yet. All of our players make multiple mistakes and if you focus on that more than anything it isn't fair on them.

I'll be the first to admit I did not agree with this signing.

I am also the first to admit I am delighted he is already shutting me up.

Keep it up wee man! Met him in Tenerife in March and he was nice as you like, even threw in a wee "F*ck C*ltic" as we said cheerio!

I'm not convinced by him either. Was surprised when so many felt he played well against St Joseph's.

However - he's not a player I wanted us to sign, so I'm more than aware that I may not be balanced in terms of judgement just yet. All of our players make multiple mistakes and if you focus on that more than anything it isn't fair on them.

Out of interest, as someone who is heavily interested in tactics as evidenced on H&H, what else would you have liked to have seen from his yesterday against a good fullback? Gave him plenty to think about, nearly scored and constantly got on the ball and looked to make things happen. Then adding to that he worked his socks off going backwards too.

Thought he played quite well, but was really impressed with his covering of Borna, whenever we lost possession down left he was very quick to get back.

Nice touches and he does work hard although physically upper body strength needs improving IMO

Played with a big smile on his face obviously love loves playing for the Gers.

Looks like another player living the dream,can't wait to see him against the rotten mob,he'll pull that defence all over the place,oh, and it looks like a big slice of humble pie coming in my direction cos I thought it was a mistake signing him.

Out of interest, as someone who is heavily interested in tactics as evidenced on H&H, what else would you have liked to have seen from his yesterday against a good fullback? Gave him plenty to think about, nearly scored and constantly got on the ball and looked to make things happen. Then adding to that he worked his socks off going backwards too.

Even the folk who are critical of Jones are in agreement that he's very quick, tricky and can go past players for fun but then they'll criticise him for a lack of end product. For me, it's extremely harsh to say he's not good enough on that basis, when Kent is very similar to Jones in that aspect (quick, tricky but not great numbers in terms of goals/assists). I'm not saying Jones is better than Kent btw before anyone jumps in.

I think with Jones you are buying a talent that's raw of course but someone you can work on and improve. He can be coached into getting into better positions out of possession that will get him into more goalscoring positions, you can work on his final ball with him, his composure when he beats his man and gets into a good position to play a teammate in. What you can't coach into someone is the natural pace, trickery and ability Jones has.

For me, he's an absolute no brainer of a signing. Cheap and low risk. I don't expect him to start every week but I'd be surprised if he doesn't come off the bench a few times this season and turn games for us when we wre struggling to break teams down.

But we don't play wingers, we play wide forwards.

Arfield will play the role he finished last season in, and is probably our best player in there.

i dont think he will a think he will go back to the central midfield role. if we do get kent back both the wide forwards will be him and ojo as he seems to be making that space out in the right his own with his last few gamds showing what hes good at.

Too many negative ninnies doubted Jones signing .Some still do by the sounds of it. They should be getting behind the club the player and the manager or are they doubting him now ? WATP

Throw in Stewart
Dont want to make the same mistake as the sheep mate and stick him out left .When at the sheep he was a shadow of the player he was the season before needs to have a free role in the last third to get the best out of him .

Back