Jordan Jones

Been pleasantly surprised by JJ during pre-season. Pacy, direct and has good delivery. Whether he will be a regular starter or not remains to be seen (I suspect not as Im thinking Kent will return) but he will be a great addition from the bench.

Excellent option off the bench or as rotation but I feel Candeias, Murphy, Stewart all fall into that category which is a worry.

He's got a good dig on him, would like to see him rattle more shots at goal. The same goes for other players too.

I feel we are a pass or two too much in and around the edge of the oppositions area. Today we tried that extra pass or flick too often in the 1st half.

Won't be judging him properly for a few months.

However before signing I thought he might be an ok option from the bench & we need a stronger 1st team regular option (Kent?). I havent seen anything which is likely to change my mind as yet.

I thought JJ did well for us today. He grew in confidence as the match wore on, positive in taking his man on, tracked back well and a great ball in for Defoe to score from.

Like his effort and directness , cant see him scoring too many though which is a worry.

Been pleasantly surprised so far looked very lively today, have to admit I wasn’t convinced originally

I think JJ is making the most of the chances Gerrard has given him. It can't be all that easy coming as he did from a team like Kilmarnock where the weight of expectations are so much less than at a club like Rangers. Thus far he has acquitted himself rather well and am sure over the course of the season he'll be seen to have made a telling contribution to the cause.

He did well but needs to get his head up a bit more often as they have a better options at times than the ones that he chose.

I thought JJ did well for us today. He grew in confidence as the match wore on, positive in taking his man on, tracked back well and a great ball in for Defoe to score from.

Me too he’s growing into it. Great cross for the goal! Made a couple of runs but wasn’t picked out.

Decent enough tbh! But...I'd much rather Kent down the left so fingers crossed on that one.

I thought he was decent today. His ball in for goal was sublime though, you can’t get better than a cross with pace right between the centre halfs and goalkeeper.

I love Jones, he's direct, doesn't think about it, just gets the ball and drives forward and is always looking to take on a man, even if it means losing out, he's always looking to get in behind, great player.

Been pleasantly surprised by JJ during pre-season. Pacy, direct and has good delivery. Whether he will be a regular starter or not remains to be seen (I suspect not as Im thinking Kent will return) but he will be a great addition from the bench.

I disagree as i think this boy will be a first team choice, he's direct can go past players, and can cross a good ball.I see him setting up a good partnership with Barisic the more games they play together.imo.

He tore the poets apart at Rugby park last year. I think he will be a regular player for us.

Not at his best today for me.
The whole side, Davis apart, looked lethargic.
Today leaves more questions than answers.

The team played well in the first half, with some good one two passing play.In the 2nd half we removed the experienced players i.e.Defoe& Davis, and it showed.
That's why we play these games,to try different tactics and to give all the players game time.
S.G.will get it right for the new season.

Agree OP

For a free transfer Jones will be a smashing bit of business. He’s plenty improving still to do - he’s already showing variation from what he did at Killie

Out of the three we brought in from SPL Jones seems to have impressed the most and looks to me like he's grabbed a shirt. Stewart not far behind but want to see him more roaming along the line rather than stuck out wide. But at the moment Stewart looks a good asset on the bench and brought to turn a tiring defence.
Hastie slower start than the other two but once he loses the nerves and gets more confidence will be a very important player to us. BTW Jordan must be more aware of the overlapping fullback he's running past you for a reason

There was a point in the first half where he made a good run and Barisic didn't play him in, and Jones was fuming. I love players who demand the ball. Like what he and Stewart offer from the bench

* I also think that Gerrard gave up on Grezda mid-season and Moneyballed the best (availability vs cost) winger in the league out of frustration, to be honest, and that's how we got Jones: I also think he'll do well.
Edit: Typo.

Will do well this season. Was far more impressive than Ojo yesterday who had comfortably his worst game since joining.

I wasn't sure about him when he signed but kept an open mind. He's won me over with his pre season performances so far. He does a power of work on the left hand side it's like having another Candeias on that side, work wise.

I thought overall he was decent but I think he struggles getting the ball when the forward 3 are narrow. Which is understandable since at Killie he hugged the touchline all game.

Still he'll need to get better at linking up with others when inside if he wants to become a starter.

Been very good in pre season but actually think he will be the one that misses out at the start of the season with Arfield coming into the left position
As should be the case. Playing with an out and out winger is great when you’ve got a big target man, but when we’ve not, short passing interplay is more effective.

Had we signed a 24 year old Jones from Middlesbrough on similar standing to how he was at Killie, ie one of their best players, I don’t think we’d be seeing the same level of scepticism. It’s underwhelming to sign players from Killie. Jones is a good player who knows our league and will improve given his new surroundings. I can see him forcing his way into the 1st team and proving a lot wrong. The stick he got yesterday for not passing to Barasic on the overlap was ridiculous. He did not do the wrong thing, he took his man on and got a shot off, it didn’t work that time, but who’s to say a Barasic cross would have done any better. The overlap created space which gave Jones options. He will be a very good player for us and from what we saw yesterday he is fighting for a start. Compare that to Ojo’s performance yesterday, he had a poor game we know he’s more than capable, that said all in all it’s very very early days.

Barasic and Jones are not on the same wavelength yet.

Jones drove at the Rovers defence, put in a great cross for Defoe but seemed oblivious to the overlap for almost all of the first half.
Possibly down to the way Killie played?
Dont think their full backs ventured too far forward so maybe not used to someone going beyond.

Not at his best today for me.
The whole side, Davis apart, looked lethargic.
Today leaves more questions than answers.
I have to agree with this. We didnt seem capable of getting into the next gear.
Hopefully just taking things easy and trying to avoid injury etc.
We need to go for it at some point. Hopefully it's all there in the tank just waiting to happen.

Barasic and Jones are not on the same wavelength yet.

Jones drove at the Rovers defence, put in a great cross for Defoe but seemed oblivious to the overlap for almost all of the first half.

Only played together 2/3 times, it’s to be expected.

Jones will be a fans’ favourite by the end of the season. Has all the basics - willingness to run at a defence, pace, eye for a pass, can finish and by all accounts is keen to improve.

Now he’s at a bigger club with better coaches, he’ll naturally improve.

* I also think that Gerrard gave up on Grezda mid-season and Moneyballed the best (availability vs cost) winger in the league out of frustration, to be honest, and that's how we got Jones: I also think he'll do well.
Edit: Typo.

Mark Allen wanted him long before Gerrard did. Worth remembering that.

Delivery has been better than expected thus far as has his work rate.

Like to see him get on the ball more and just go.

Soild start.
I wasn’t going to be surprised by the lad’s workrate.
I reckon once he settles down and can think about the game properly, gains game awareness, he’ll be an asset.
He’s probably still on a high just now and too keen to impress.

From a boring old farts prospective watching JJ, it was like watching Tommy McLean and his ability to hit a good cross ball in, looks as though he could be good.

Back