Jordan Rossiter has no part to play at Rangers after being told to find new club

Necro

From the Sun

JORDAN ROSSITER will have no part to play at Rangers next season.

The Gers midfielder - along with Kyle Lafferty, Eros Grezda, Graham Dorrans and Jason Holt - has been left at home and told to find a new club while the rest of the squad get to work in Portugal.

Rossiter was tipped for big things at Liverpool before Gers move

Rossiter, 22, has barely featured for the Light Blues because of injuries since joining from Liverpool three years ago.

The former England U-19s captain was outstanding during a loan spell at Bury last season.

But Steven Gerrard already has plenty of midfield options and is on the verge of adding out-of-contract Charlton star Joe Aribo.

The Ibrox boss admits it was difficult telling the quintet their services were no longer required, although he accepts there can be no room for sentiment.

He enjoyed a successful loan at Bury last season.

He added: “The squad is big. We have 28 players with us right now.

“The board haven’t said and they haven’t put me under any pressure, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out the squad is too big.

“I have to be honest and tell people they won’t get the game time that will satisfy them.

“It’s not as brutal as saying get out as quick as you can, we don’t respect you and don’t love you anymore.

“But as a manager you have to make tough decisions and you have to go with what you think is the best prepared squad to challenge next season.

“Yes, I have had to have difficult conversations with certain players, but I hope they understand I’m trying to be as respectful as I can to give them as much time to find a different route.

“My job is to manage the team, manage game time, make team selections and pick squads best capable of being successful.

“In terms of contracts and what is out there for them, that is where their agents will come into it more than myself.

“It’s very easy for a manager to be selfish and keep them in the door for as long as you want and tell them later on in the window. I don’t think that is fair.

“I want to give people I respect the best chance to get the best solution for them.

“That is why I have told certain people as early as I can.”

Shame for the lad as he's clearly talented but can't see him being consistently fit enough to shift any of our first pick midfielders.

If true I feel for the lad, but, he’s hardly kicked a ball for us, his development has been stunted due to injuries.

It’s a shame as there’s a player in there, a really good one, wish him all the best.

I think Rossiter has the potential to be a better player than Ryan Jack, but Jack hasn't had the same injuries at Rossiter and that's where the decision becomes tricky.

I'd have thought Jack and Rossiter would've been competing for the one spot this year, but it seems not if this story is true.

He's had 4/5 weeks off already mate.

The fact he's not in Portugal leads me to believe this
Gerrard said last week he’s on an extended break because his body hasn’t experienced that much football in his career

Only logical explanation with him not going to Portugal . Gutted if true .
Gerrard said last week he’s on an extended break mate due to his body never having to deal with that much football in a short space of time in his career , could be a polite way of saying he’s off tho I suppose

Hopefully puts an end to any further utterly unsubstantiated blind support to any player in the future.

No fault of Rossiter’s own either, feel for the boy and hopefully will go on to finally conquer his injury demons elsewhere. There’s just too much superior competition at Rangers.

Shame for the boy and us it hasn’t worked out hopefully we can get some cash in after his loan spell.

Sensible when you take emotion out of it.

He's already into the last year of a 4 year contract on a reputably decent wage.

Some options are;

a) play him as a bit part for the year then release him next season
b) loan him out and hope he accepts a contract extension mid-way through if performing well
c) try & offload this summer while he's un-injured and on the back of a good loan spell

No room for sentiment for this coming season.

Last edited:
Personally I think he should be given a new deal and loaned out again.

If he's not in the managers plans then I don't blame him for just getting rid though

The problem with that is that he would be loaned with us paying a percentage of his wage which isn’t cost productive.

I would have thought another loan would be sensible. He is only 22 and if he can get another 6-12 months of regular football under his belt, this time at a higher level. he may prove he can play a part going forward.

I'd loan him out againwith the understanding if he plays a certain amount of games we get a years extension. Win for us and win for the player!

Where in there does it say Rossiter has been told to find new club????

It doesnt.

I think Rangers have invested too much time and money not to give him one last chance now that hes stayed fit for the longest in his career.

It's in the Daily Mail too mate.

It would appear Gerrard has privately briefed the journalists on which players aren't in his plans.

Feel a bit sorry for Jordan, as he never really got a break in his time with us, due to the uneven growth condition.

However, Gerrard clearly knows which players he feels are up to the challenges we face in the coming season.

I'm sure Jordan will go on and have a successful career.

I wish him well.

Where in there does it say Rossiter has been told to find new club????

It doesnt.

I think Rangers have invested too much time and money not to give him one last chance now that hes stayed fit for the longest in his career.

I agree. A few posters on here are saying how Doc could yet be a good player for us, yet so many write Rossiter off, even though both had successful loan spells last season.

However, he has Kamara, Jack, Aribo and probably McCrorie ahead of him. Big ask for him to break through.

I reckon he'll go on to have a very decent career down south.

Been desperate for the lad to make it with us, but on balance now I suspect moving on might be the best thing for him. As SG alludes to, we could be selfish and keep him hanging on a bit longer... but the reality is we don't have the scope to be playing him into the team now, we need players who can hit the ground running and who we don't need to wrap in cotton wool.

All of that said, I hope we don't regret letting him go. I know the circumstances were different, but Gattuso moving on always reminds me of how wrong we can get it occasionally.

If it's true then good luck to him. Hope he can stay injury free.
Would have been nice to see him fulfilling his potential with us, always ha

I wish Rossiter well .

Didn’t work for the lad through one thing and another . At least he did his very best unlike two of the players who’ve also been told they can go ( fill in the blanks ) .

And at least now we won’t have posters saying “ now if we could just get Rossiter fit “ every day of the week like we have for the past three years he’s been here .

Reality is we've got players who are above him in the pecking order. He's on a hefty wage and he's not played anywhere near the amount of games for us to justify keeping him around the place. He's shown in flashes what he could be, but will he just end up being one of those players who only ever shows glimpses!? Shame for sure, but the decision makes sense to me. I don't see him getting into our midfield this season. I'd rather Docherty and McCrorie got the chance ahead of him this season.

You just know our luck, if this is true. He will find a new club easily, never be injured again and end up selling for millions and millions over the course of his career.

I think everyone wanted this to work, I still had hope it would tbh. Guess we'll wait and see how it pans out.

I think he's a quality midfielder however his and Dorrans wages could the difference between bringing in another game changer in midfield This season

Back