Jordan Rossiter has no part to play at Rangers after being told to find new club

I REALLY hope that this young man finds his feet and gets to a good level in the game. I am proud of the way our club have looked after him to date. I do hope he looks back fondly on his time with us, he could have been a top class player for us if he had managed to stay fit.

I'm a hue SG fan. But i do question if this is the right thing.

For me Rossiter is miles ahead in terms of ability and technical level than Ross McCrorie. I'd be keeping Rossiter over McCrorie all day. And I'd say he has more to his game than Jack.

SG is fantastic - love him. But he has made bad decisions in the past with Lafferty, Sadiq, Grezda. I think this will prove to be another.

Sorry, don't understand how anyone can question if it's the right decision to get a guy who's played 11 times in 3 YEARS off our wage bill? Regardless of ability - which let's be honest, we dont really have a true idea of with Rossiter, we've only seen very fleeting glimpses. If Messi was on our books with the same appearance/injury record it would be the right thing to get him off the wage bill too.

The main questions are

Would he be a starter in our midfield? No

Would he be reliable as a back up? No.

Is he better than McCrorie, probably will be certainly in the long term but we have an injury next season at a crucial point, who is more likely to be ready and fit to play, the guy sitting on the treatment table collecting his wages or the guy sitting ready and fit.

Rossiter is one of these players that gets better the more he doesn't play, the Gow, Niguez, Matt McKay syndrome.

Our fans get a hard on for certain players and refuse to see sense, see Cummings as another example.

More than a bit harsh to put Rossiter in the Cummings category mate. :))

My prediction is that JR will go on to have a better career than big Ross - he has more tools as a midfielder and more natural ability. Just my opinion/prediction.

You are probably right, long term, if he can stay fit.

But it isn't about in 3 or 4 years time, it isn't about hoping for the best.

We need to win the league next season, we need players we can rely on and call upon.

We can't do either with Rossiter, but we can with McCrorie, and seeing as both would be back up it would be a mental decision for Gerrard to just hope Rossiter stays fit, can be called upon and can actually do a job when called upon.

Sorry for the guy, but time to move him on. I hope finds a club and is successful in his career.

There is no room for sentiment football, it’s a shame for the lad but he’s obviously not up to the standard SG wants in a player

Good luck JR, I hope it works out for him

The fact is we don't truly know what Rossiter is capable of and he's barely shown a thing in a Rangers jersey – we all base our opinion of him on our fantasy of what Rossiter is/could be.

If he does stay he needs to go out on loan if he doesn't then best of luck to the wee guy.

I've certainly long suspected this would be the outcome
Now that it's happened - I can only sympathise with Jordan & really hope he can re-start his career & be a success in the future with another club
I wish him all the best - but this decision is best for all concerned imo

I wouldn't totally go with that mate.

Rossiter is clearly the better passer of the two and possibly the more natural midfielder, but Ross is quicker, better in the air and carries a more physical presence.

All good assets for a DM.

Gerrard must clearly think long term he's the better option.
Physical presence is one thing - but using it constructively is more important. Ross can be raw and wreckless in tackles and we lose the ball. Rossiter's timing of tackles is great - similar to Kamara in many ways. Bides his time and then goes into win the ball back, cleanly and retaining possession. I'd rather have that than the typical Scottish view on tacking which is launch yourself in and hope for the best.

Part of Scottish football's problems over several decades is that too much emphasis is put on 'getting stuck in' and showing a 'physical presence' - where has that got us ? I prefer a more cultured approach, which, as the evidence proves, gains far more success.

Pass the ball accurately, show composure on the ball and time your tackles well - big Ross lacks massively on this.

Physical presence is one thing - but using it constructively is more important. Ross can be raw and wreckless in tackles and we lose the ball. Rossiter's timing of tackles is great - similar to Kamara in many ways. Bides his time and then goes into win the ball back, cleanly and retaining possession. I'd rather have that than the typical Scottish view on tacking which is launch yourself in and hope for the best.

Part of Scottish football's problems over several decades is that too much emphasis is put on 'getting stuck in' and showing a 'physical presence' - where has that got us ? I prefer a more cultured approach, which, as the evidence proves, gains far more success.

Pass the ball accurately, show composure on the ball and time your tackles well - big Ross lacks massively on this.
When have you seen Rossiter do all this, it couldn't have been with us

You are probably right, long term, if he can stay fit.

But it isn't about in 3 or 4 years time, it isn't about hoping for the best.

We need to win the league next season, we need players we can rely on and call upon.

We can't do either with Rossiter, but we can with McCrorie, and seeing as both would be back up it would be a mental decision for Gerrard to just hope Rossiter stays fit, can be called upon and can actually do a job when called upon.
I guess time will tell mate.

We all want what's best and we want success - we all have slightly different ways/views of getting to that.

McCrorie has shown accurate passing, composure and well-timed tackles on more than a number of occasions, and in tough games – certainly areas he could improve (being 21) but I think you're being a bit harsh.

I guess time will tell mate.

We all want what's best and we want success - we all have slightly different ways/views of getting to that.

We need reliable players, it isn't even debatable how stupid it would be to try and rely on Rossiter in what is our most important season in decades.

The Rossiter you described, we haven’t seen. In fact the Rossiter you described, we already have in Jack and Kamara. There’s no need for another player with the same abilities.

Ross presents us with a different option and has been a more reliable player for us than Rossiter will ever be - it may sound harsh, but it’s the truth.

The physical game probably hasn’t got us anywhere, but we need that option in midfield.

Sorry, don't understand how anyone can question if it's the right decision to get a guy who's played 11 times in 3 YEARS off our wage bill? Regardless of ability - which let's be honest, we dont really have a true idea of with Rossiter, we've only seen very fleeting glimpses. If Messi was on our books with the same appearance/injury record it would be the right thing to get him off the wage bill too.
I feel I have seen enough to tell me that the lad is a player.

I look forward to a few years time when when Rossiter is rocking it up a the top end of the Championship/EPL when big Ross is knocking about for Motherwell and everyone is wishing we had kept Rossiter ;):D

What in God's name has rossiter done to merit playing any games ahead of:

Davis. Jack. Kamara. Aribo(if signs), doc, mccrorie etc.

No his fault but we cannot keep saying potential. It's been 3 years.

I know exactly where you are coming from mate and as you know, I'm not a Rossiter basher.

I still think you're being at bit harsh on Ross though.

Rossiter has played the midfield role since he started the game, whereas McCrorie is still learning the position.

The pace, strength and ability in the air that McCrorie has is something Jordan will never have, but maybe Gerrard thinks he can develop Mccrorie's awareness, distribution, composure and round him into a more complete midfielder.

He proved against the mentally challengeds in December just what he can bring to the table, as he totally marked Christie out of the game that day.

Gerrard was full of praise for him.

I think he sees him as a work in progress that he can develop much more.

Sir Alex Ferguson used to look at the minutes that players spent on the pitch playing as a major factor in deciding to buy them or not. I wish the lad all the best but feel that he will always struggle particularly in the thuggish Scottish league. I hope he finds a place he can play without being injured.

The blind spot for McCrorie' deficiencies is incredible. Too many pairs of blue tinted glasses methinks. :)

I'd be interested to know how many games people think McCrorie will play this season. Can't see there being many. I still say he needs to go out on loan.

The blind spot for McCrorie' deficiencies is incredible. Too many pairs of blue tinted glasses methinks. :)

I'd be interested to know how many games people think McCrorie will play this season. Can't see there being many. I still say he needs to go out on loan.

More than Rossiter would have

Rossiter apparently had a great 5 months with Bury, playing 18 games. Reading reports he was head and shoulders over anything else on display. Surely someone willl take a punt on him for 4 or £500 000

He'll be gutted about this as he was determined to make it at Rangers and repay the fans for all the support he got. But best wishes to the lad. I hope he goes on to have a long and successful career.

I know exactly where you are coming from mate and as you know, I'm not a Rossiter basher.

I still think you're being at bit harsh on Ross though.

Rossiter has played the midfield role since he started the game, whereas McCrorie is still learning the position.

The pace, strength and ability in the air that McCrorie has is something Jordan will never have, but maybe Gerrard thinks he can develop Mccrorie's awareness, distribution, composure and round him into a more complete midfielder.

He proved against the mentally challengeds in December just what he can bring to the table, as he totally marked Christie out of the game that day.

Gerrard was full of praise for him.

I think he sees him as a work in progress that he can develop much more.
I hear you mate.

I'm not sure being good in the air is necessarily a core requirement though. Think back to great midfield and even current ones - Barca had a midfield of small guys and seemed to do ok. Liverpool have just won the CL and don't exactly have many guys who are great in the air in their midfield. You're thinking 'too Scottish' mate. As I've said, we need to move away from that and get the ball down and play. With players like Kamara we are doing that. We need natural midfielders - McCrorie doesn't fit into that category for me.

I feel I have seen enough to tell me that the lad is a player.

I look forward to a few years time when when Rossiter is rocking it up a the top end of the Championship/EPL when big Ross is knocking about for Motherwell and everyone is wishing we had kept Rossiter ;):D

So you want one of the players to come through the Rangers youth ranks to fail?

I will say it again, and you are not thick, we need next season players we can rely on, we cannot as has been proven rely on Rossiter whereas it has been proven we can rely on McCrorie, it is simple.

Saying but aye in a few years Rossiter "Might" be rocking it up means next to nothing, he has player 33 games in 3 full seasons, he cannot be trusted.

McCrorie is going to be a decent squad player, not a starter, Rossiter wouldn't be a starter and hasn't shown to be a decent squad player.

Seriously, it isn't fucking rocket science.

FWIW, I wouldn't be "Looking forward to Big Ross knocking about for Motherwell" as it means he has failed, but each to there own.

I remember you banging on about the support not supporting players at games and here you are, talking one down and hoping he fails.

Standing section? Club deck for you :D

Shame if true. He's finally managed to string a load of games together. I think he's a good player and under the right management could become very good. I guess the issue is we're stacking up on midfielders and it's perhaps time to let some of the guys who haven't featured, for whatever reason, move on and start their career up somewhere else.

Dorrans one I am not so sure about. I really wouldn't be keen on letting him go but seems he might be away as well.

So you want one of the players to come through the Rangers youth ranks to fail?

I will say it again, and you are not thick, we need next season players we can rely on, we cannot as has been proven rely on Rossiter whereas it has been proven we can rely on McCrorie, it is simple.

Saying but aye in a few years Rossiter "Might" be rocking it up means next to nothing, he has player 33 games in 3 full seasons, he cannot be trusted.

McCrorie is going to be a decent squad player, not a starter, Rossiter wouldn't be a starter and hasn't shown to be a decent squad player.

Seriously, it isn't fucking rocket science.

FWIW, I wouldn't be "Looking forward to Big Ross knocking about for Motherwell" as it means he has failed, but each to there own.

I remember you banging on about the support not supporting players at games and here you are, talking one down and hoping he fails.

Standing section? Club deck for you :D
To be honest I don't care if a player comes through the ranks or not - I just want us to win trophies/55 and i don't really care who gets us to that or where they have come from.

Yes, I'm all for full backing of players/the team at games - 100%. But I am more than happy to question things on a football forum ;):D

I hear you mate.

I'm not sure being good in the air is necessarily a core requirement though. Think back to great midfield and even current ones - Barca had a midfield of small guys and seemed to do ok. Liverpool have just won the CL and don't exactly have many guys who are great in the air in their midfield. You're thinking 'too Scottish' mate. As I've said, we need to move away from that and get the ball down and play. With players like Kamara we are doing that. We need natural midfielders - McCrorie doesn't fit into that category for me.

Dier, Matic, Henderson, Ya Ya, Viera, to name a few, are all 6ft plus central midfielders who use/used their physical attributes to good effect when defending and attacking set pieces.

Not sure Eric Dier started out as a natural midfielder mate, but he's worked hard to develop the skills set he needs to play the position.

I think Gerrard believes McCrorie can be developed too.

Gerrard said last week he’s on an extended break because his body hasn’t experienced that much football in his career
If he needs an extended break after playing one game a week at Bury for half a season, he won't cope with 2 games a week in the SPFL/Europa League.

He's played what feels like 20 minutes in 3 years for us. What do you base he's better than Jack on?

I simply don't rate Ryan Jack. Doesn't offer much IMO. Lazy tracking back as well.

I just think given that Rossiter is only 22 (I think we forget that sometimes) he could still be a top player and should be given a chance, especially now that his injury woes seem to be behind him.

Feel sorry for Rossiter, the injuries aren't his fault. But the fact remains we made an investment in him and it hasn't produced signficant returns.

Dier, Matic, Henderson, Ya Ya, Viera, to name a few, are all 6ft plus central midfielders who use/used their physical attributes to good effect when defending and attacking set pieces.

Not sure Eric Dier started out as a natural midfielder mate, but he's worked hard to develop the skills set he needs to play the position.

I think Gerrard believes McCrorie can be developed too.
I guess we all have different views and who we see things.

If I'm wrong about McCrorie in years to come then great. I'll be delighted. I want him to do well. But I can't pretend that I'm not concerned by many aspects of his game, as already discussed. And I don't feel I am seeing much improvement in key areas. But time will tell I suppose.

I'll take anything and anyone to get 55 this season and future season's titles. That's what matters..

Grezda,dorrans,holt,Rossiter,Herrera,
Lafferty,dodoo that's a lot of wages heading out the door hopefully get some sort of transfer fees in aswell free up space for a new LB DC and a STR then we are good too go for the season

Needs games, won't get enough of them here. Shame as I had really high hopes for him

I wish the kid nothing but the very best.
This is it, ultimately.

The kid is 22 now. If he's not playing 20 - 25 games a season minimum, he's not going to develop. And despite what some folk on this thread think, he does need to develop quite substantially to be worth the wages we pay him.

I know what you are saying mate. But even the best can get it wrong from time to time. I just think this is one we may live to regret.

Have to say that I was a little worried about this. Over our last few managers, they have been noticeably poor at recruiting talent in areas where they excelled. Our strikers were woeful under McCoist (even compared to the rest of the team) and the defence was a joke under Warburton and Weir. I wonder if there is a thing that the players are used to just operating at a high level but don’t really understand what made them so good. They knew what to do instinctively so didn’t need to analyse it.

Had worried at the start of last season that the same thing was happening again with Gerrard’s midfield being the weakest part of the team. Fortunately he rectified that and recruited wisely at Christmas. The purchases this summer should at least on paper improve it further.

I don’t see a road in for Rossiter. And, on his wages, it just isn’t worth the gamble of holding onto him in hope of the hype coming true.

This is it, ultimately.

The kid is 22 now. If he's not playing 20 - 25 games a season minimum, he's not going to develop. And despite what some folk on this thread think, he does need to develop quite substantially to be worth the wages we pay him.

Pretty much. Gerrard's spoken in the past about not being selfish when it comes to player development.

Rossiter has barely played for three years. Another year 'wasted' as he waits to get in ahead of players way in front of him does him no good.

If someone is willing to take on his contract then I'd let him go. It's better for the kid in the long run.

A shame if true
Could be total speculation 2+2 =5, not in any interview have I heard Jordans name mentioned, we have signed a few midfielders and the sun is putting out clickbait headlines, you would have thought he would have got a full pre season under his belt before any final decision being made, unless he has been closely monitored at his loan club and the feedback is not positive. I wish the lad all the best in whatever he does in the future be it with us or another club. #55

Could be total speculation 2+2 =5, not in any interview have I heard Jordans name mentioned, we have signed a few midfielders and the sun is putting out clickbait headlines, you would have thought he would have got a full pre season under his belt before any final decision being made, unless he has been closely monitored at his loan club and the feedback is not positive. I wish the lad all the best in whatever he does in the future be it with us or another club. #55

Possible. But this isn’t really click bait.

Ex-Scottish international being surplus for requirements might be (Dorrans). £2mill dud might be (Grezda). Club legend (Lafferty) probably is. Kid most casual supporters probably forgot was at the club is not. Please note that I write the above as headlines, not as my own view.

Rossiter is a big name on FF. I suspect most casual fans barely remember him. And fans of opposing clubs won’t know who he is at all.

Needs games, won't get enough of them here. Shame as I had really high hopes for him

I wish the kid nothing but the very best.

This is exactly it. He needs games. He's not going to get too many starts at Rangers this season. His contract runs out next Summer.

Our options are to extend his contract and send him out on loan - or make him available for transfer this Summer. Given we expect the quality of our players to gradually improve over the next few years I just don't see him breaking into the first team at Rangers. He won't displace those we currently have so he has no chance of displacing the (hopefully) better players we sign in the future.

Unreal how some rate Rossiter above guys like Jack and McCrorie who have both had fantastic performances in Europe and domestically against some of the best teams in the division. Rossiter has done the square root of %^*& all for us and all signs point towards him being the type of player who’ll bounce round a couple of lower league English teams before being retired at 30, but then again that’s why it’s called blind faith.

I think it's safe to say a good many of us have built some sort of attachment to Rossiter based on his reputation when he joined us (When we didn't have much to shout about), the length of time he's been here and the flashes we've seen of what he's capable of.

Will he go on to have a good career? I expect so.

Is it a chance we should take in keeping him? Sadly, no.

Back