Jordi Alba / Tav...

This is not a knee jerk reaction to yesterday but our strongest defensive line up wouldn’t include Tavernier. I also didn’t agree with him being captain, but I’m not the manager. IMO it should’ve gone to jack or shagger. If we try a back three again now we have Worral, he may be more effective.

So what you're saying is that Tav should be left to deal with both McGregor and Tierney by himself?

Interesting.

Do you think Barisic should've been dealing with Forrest and Lustig on his own?
There was some dick yesterday who was saying Barisic was clearly pish because Lafferty was back defending at points.

Interestingly enough the last few games he’s been absolutely roasted.

Tav defended well enough with 9 men on Thursday did he not?

An absolute myth that he can’t defend.
It is a myth. He does however, switch off from time to time. If you count the amount of chances created by him or Flanagan being beaten, it’s very similar. Tavernier however, is capable of winning us games, Flanagan isn’t.
Even yesterday in the second half, if we were going to get a goal, you could tell it was going to come from Tav driving forward.

It is a myth. He does however, switch off from time to time. If you count the amount of chances created by him or Flanagan being beaten, it’s very similar. Tavernier however, is capable of winning us games, Flanagan isn’t.
Even yesterday in the second half, if we were going to get a goal, you could tell it was going to come from Tav driving forward.

Can’t argue with any of that mate.

If Tav was as good defensively as he is going forward then he’d be playing for a top Premiership team and getting capped by England.

no it's not . he costs us goals . he's cost us goals this season and last season . he's a poor defender and a poor choice for captain

ps...........not blaming him in any way shape or fashion for today .

The stats from last season, and decision from Gerrard to make him his captain, proves that you and many others on here are either deluded or just don't know very much about football.

Probably both.

The stats from last season, and decision from Gerrard to make him his captain, proves that you and many others on here are either deluded or just don't know very much about football.

Probably both.

Or maybe they just have a different opinion to you.

Can’t argue with any of that mate.

If Tav was as good defensively as he is going forward then he’d be playing for a top Premiership team and getting capped by England.
Definitely mate. Most full backs are better going forward than they are defending these days. It’s modern football.

Probably both.

What stats ?

Include yourself in that group if you think Tavernier is a good defender . he's good going forward and has a decent delivery but he is not a good defender .

Gerrard is a rookie manager and he will make mistakes along the way . Making Tav captain may well be one of them . all in my deluded , know f*ck all about football opinion , of course .

Watching the Barca game there and two goals came from his side.

Do you think the Barca fans post several threads on their message boards saying he’s not good enough?

I’ve stuck up for Tav a lot on here as I feel he gets a lot of unfair criticism. Today was no different.

Apparently the goal was his fault?

Not only that but the constant noise to have Flanagan ahead of him is worrying. Has anyone actually watched Flanagan in the last 3-4 games? He’s been dreadful.

Off topic but where did you manage to watch the Barca game, was it on a channel or was it a link?
Cheers.

I like Tav but i think he's a broken man against them now and for our captain that is a massive concern.

it hardly inspires confidence.

Do you think the Barca fans post several threads on their message boards saying he’s not good enough?

I’ve stuck up for Tav a lot on here as I feel he gets a lot of unfair criticism. Today was no different.

Not only that but the constant noise to have Flanagan ahead of him is worrying. Has anyone actually watched Flanagan in the last 3-4 games? He’s been dreadful.
It's not just yesterday it's been happening for a few seasons and because of his fan club he has got away with it unfortunately I feel the fans have suffered because he can't defend and looking at his face in big games tells you he is lacking in confidence, now Gerard has made him captain and if he stands by him well then be it on his own head but I think Gerard has put himself in a corner and doesn't know what to do.

If ever a games cried out for Flanagan to play it was yesterday. Hard player can tackle and can defend.

He only defended well the other night because big Lafferty was giving him a hand.. He really is a poor defender anyone thinking otherwise needs to get the blue specs off... Flanagan is on a different level when it comes to it.. And i'm sure Gerrard will eventually put him into right back...

Take it you didn't see him getting fucking roasted on several occasions on Thursday night then?

I think Flanagan has been decent for us but people thinking he's a better option at right-back than Tavernier are mental.

Aye he did but how many goals has flano been at fault for ?? And does tav play at left back ?

Aye he did but how many goals has flano been at fault for ?? And does tav play at left back ?

Tav has his faults but he's a better player than 'Flano' and what does Tav's ability, or lack there of, to play left-back have anything to do with it?

Our actual left-back is better than 'Flano' too btw.

What stats ?

Include yourself in that group if you think Tavernier is a good defender . he's good going forward and has a decent delivery but he is not a good defender .

Gerrard is a rookie manager and he will make mistakes along the way . Making Tav captain may well be one of them . all in my deluded , know f*ck all about football opinion , of course .

There was a thread on here at the end of the season where someone shared analysis that had been done into the goals we conceded. The vast majority came through the middle and down our left hand side.

Of course it won't change yours or others opinion of him because you've already convinced yourselves he can't defend but it's now getting so ridiculous that there was even a thread on here blaming him for the goal yesterday.

There's having an opinion and not knowing anything about football, then there's using that to make up blatant lies about a player which happens on here with Tav more than anyone else.

And by the way it doesn't matter that Gerrard is a 'rookie' manager, he's been involved in the game at the elite level long enough now to know whether or not a guy he works with day in day out can defend or not - and I'm pretty sure if he 'can't defend' then sure as shit some like Steven Gerrard isn't going to play him as a defender.

Some amount of window dressers on here, Tavernier frequently loses the ball up field,
frequently leaves his side wide open,
frequently fails to track his man,
frequently fails to cut out cross balls into the box,
frequently fails to defend the front post at corners, in short he frequently is a bad defender.

So the two goals at Motherwell didn’t happen and were myths!!!! Thank God for that as I actually thought we had dropped points against them from very poor defending...especially their mythical 2nd goal!!!

So the two goals at Motherwell didn’t happen and were myths!!!! Thank God for that as I actually thought we had dropped points against them from very poor defending...especially their mythical 2nd goal!!!

Yep he should've done better for both goals, no doubt about it. But with the second goal I'd say McGregor is also at fault. No way should a ball be allowed to bounce within the 6 yard box from a corner.

Tav is prone to the odd mistake and lapse of concentration, but people make out like he costs a goal in every match which is bollocks.

Someone actually started a thread yesterday blaming him for Celtic's goal ffs.

Tavernier isn’t Jordi Alba.

Yep he should've done better for both goals, no doubt about it. But with the second goal I'd say McGregor is also at fault. No way should a ball be allowed to bounce within the 6 yard box from a corner.

Tav is prone to the odd mistake and lapse of concentration, but people make out like he costs a goal in every match which is bollocks.

Someone actually started a thread yesterday blaming him for Celtic's goal ffs.
He makes regular defensive mistakes, he hasn’t improved that side of his game, the higher the quality of opposition the more this weakness is exposed....none of these are myths they are fact! He can go from the sublime with his forward play to the ridiculous with his defensive positioning and awareness.....is that good enough for a Title winning Captain....I don’t think so tbh!!!

How long do we persevere with him though? It's been 3 years and he isn't any better defensively than when he walked through the door. In the mentally challenged pumpings over the last couple of seasons he goes into a wee shell, no interest in trying to push the team on a bit. I can't help but think Gerrard has appointed him captain a bit hastily and is now in a position where he can't drop him because of that.

He's a liability at the back that costs us goals, putting 3/4 good crosses in during a game isn't worth the downside for me.

Tav is good going forward but weak defensively. I'm not sure that's even reasonably debatable and it's been evident for years.

I like the lad, he does a lot of great work, but he is a weak link at the back.

Far too many excuses made for Tav. Of course not directly responsible for the filth goal but I’m sorry, to be half heartedly strolling back 10 yards behind the rest of the defence just isn’t acceptable, and by the way Alba bursts his arse to get back in and cover when he’s playing for Barca and caught too far upfield so I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison.

The worst bit for me was seeing Tav in the tunnel, our captain, our leader, visibly shitting himself. He reminded me of Mike Spinks standing in the ring waiting for Mike Tyson, looking like he just knew he was about to be battered.

Tavernier has been an excellent bit of business for Rangers.

He was signed for buttons and has since more than paid back his transfer fee – he offers us an excellent modern day option in football, an out ball, an athlete, a player who can help get us up the park and break at speed.

He has been a creator of goals and chances for us and offers shape and dimensions most full backs wouldn’t.

He has been courted by numerous clubs, we have had to actively turn down what is an excessive bid to us in excess of 2 million pounds plus.

Our new manager who has managed to negate us into the Europa League rates the player, backs the player has given him the captaincy and wants him to extend his contract.

That new manager is a man who has played at Elite level football for years, played against and trained with 1,00s of players thus has a decent grasp of what talent looks like.

I am going to be honest… some of the critique of Tavernier I read on here, it doesn’t reflect too well on the people who post it.

Last edited:
Back