Jorg Albertz Rangers Archives

What a privilege it must have been to witness in the flesh the Hammer fire in those tremedous goals. That last Albertz strike in the clip from The Piggery must be one of the greatest ever against that mob. Enjoy ! :)

It was an absolute privilege to watch and meet him. An absolute gentleman! A mate of mine met him in a restaurant when he played with us, he was in awe at The Hammer! After a few drinks he went over to talk to him, after 10 mins Albertz Mrs said right I think you’ve taken enough of our time to my mate. Apparently Albertz was having none of it! Told her straight in front of him, he and the fans like him pay for everything, you should be thanking him! Shut her well up!

It was an absolute privilege to watch and meet him. An absolute gentleman! A mate of mine met him in a restaurant when he played with us, he was in awe at The Hammer! After a few drinks he went over to talk to him, after 10 mins Albertz Mrs said right I think you’ve taken enough of our time to my mate. Apparently Albertz was having none of it! Told her straight in front of him, he and the fans like him pay for everything, you should be thanking him! Shut her well up!

She did have a point to be fair.
Anyway Jorg Albertz was not a great goalscorer as such, but a scorer of great goals

I was fortunate enough to see most of those in the flesh. But, even so, you forget how good Albertz was. He was some athlete for someone who likes his ciggies. I always remember listening to an interview with him when, in a hybrid German / Glaswegian accent, he talked about hitting the ball over someone's "heid".

Another bear here who considers it an honour to have seen Albertz in his pomp with us.

Carried the ball so well and, like Novo, scored big goals for us.

We so badly need a player to score this goals, Kent looks like he is getting to this point but we need more.

The bheasts were absolutely terrified of him. One of my favourite memories of him was not one of his thunderbolts into the top corner, but cup tie against a lower league team, might’ve been Stenhousemuir on a rainy day at Ibrox, we had a direct free kick outside the box and the big man blasted it right into the wall, down goes one of their players clutching his haw maws for about 5 minutes. The whole ground winced, , I think it was the only time an opponent got sympathy. Loved the big man, we should’ve got a few more years out of him but him and wee Dick didn’t see eye to eye.

Me and my auld man were talking today how much we could do with an albertz in the team. He would thrive on how teams set up against us nowadays.

We all loved a Jorg Exocet (© Tam Miller) but I think his best performance for us was in a game when he didn't actually score. I'm referring to the game when we beat The Croppies 5-1 in Nov 2000 - TAF's debut,

Just to check I'm not losing my mind I had a keek at Youtube and, yes, Albertz was magnificent that day, as was Amo. Wee Barry stole the show but what a great performance all round - as anyone who was at Ibrox will tell you.

The bheasts were absolutely terrified of him. One of my favourite memories of him was not one of his thunderbolts into the top corner, but cup tie against a lower league team, might’ve been Stenhousemuir on a rainy day at Ibrox, we had a direct free kick outside the box and the big man blasted it right into the wall, down goes one of their players clutching his haw maws for about 5 minutes. The whole ground winced, , I think it was the only time an opponent got sympathy. Loved the big man, we should’ve got a few more years out of him but him and wee Dick didn’t see eye to eye.
I’m sure it was east Fife, think we won 3-0

The best thing about Albertz for me was that he was a big game player/goalscorer. Countless against Celtic and scored in Europe against the likes of Parma, Bayern Munich, PSV to name a few. True legend.

This in spades. There were more than a few games when Jorg did very little but when it came to the big games, the ones that really mattered, Albertz would show up. He was also so good at driving forward with the ball. Not the easy sideways pass and/or keeping possession for The Hammer - he went at the opposition.

Love it,what a player,was lucky enough that when he signed for Rangers I was a teenager entering adult hood,and all I wanted to do was go see Rangers,every game and the big man was one of the reasons why so many big games where he just relieved so much pressure with one swipe of that wand of a left foot,tears in the eyes moments,sheer joy.
Always remember older bears at the time aswell if we didn’t play well would refer to him as the big lazy German lol.
What they wouldn’t give to have him in this rangers side.

Incredible left foot but also pretty mobile for a big guy who liked a smoke. Not much change out of about £30-£40 million these days

This in spades. There were more than a few games when Jorg did very little but when it came to the big games, the ones that really mattered, Albertz would show up. He was also so good at driving forward with the ball. Not the easy sideways pass and/or keeping possession for The Hammer - he went at the opposition.
100%. Always looked for the forward pass. I know it's been said and its almost a daft comment because Albertz would improve any Gers side but he really would be the missing piece in this current promising Gers team

Back