Jorh Albertz

The look of fear on the players forming a wall as big Jorg was lining up to take a free kick was brilliant.

Amoruso fancied his shot as well although think he scored one freekick and then we had to suffer same effort with it hitting wall everytime to 2 seasons

The one against Celtic at New Year 97. Where I sat in the East Enclosure was almost right in line with him taking the shot. It never even moved in the air, just went straight as an arrow (and probably would have killed someone behind the goals if it wasn't for the net)
Wasn't there an occasion, perhaps against Killie or such where a guy in the wall caught it square in the stomach and just collapsed like he'd been shot?

Could fair strike a ball. Don’t see too many free kick takers these days that just rely on sheer power rather than trying to curl them in.

Sometimes when we're passing the ball all across the penalty area and back again, i can find myself looking back, picturing the big man standing there and smashing the ball into the net. No messing about, just leathering it in. Happy days.

Like yesterday.

I always remember if we got a FK around the box a big smile on yer face as the Hammer stepped up. You just knew every chunt in front of it was shitting it :)

He was something right enough.
I remember a ballboy behind the net recoiling in fear when Ian Ferguson scored, he though the ball was coming through it. It was on the telly but don’t know if it’s on YouTube

Have we had a player since that when they get the ball 20-30yrds out you stand ready for a shot!?

Idolized the big man growing up. You just knew the guys in the wall were bricking it when big Jorg stepped up to hit a free kick.

One of my favourite players when I was growing up. Always wanted to be able hit a shot like his.
The last time I saw him he was playing in an England v Germany legends game.

The one against Celtic at New Year 97. Where I sat in the East Enclosure was almost right in line with him taking the shot. It never even moved in the air, just went straight as an arrow (and probably would have killed someone behind the goals if it wasn't for the net)
Wasn't there an occasion, perhaps against Killie or such where a guy in the wall caught it square in the stomach and just collapsed like he'd been shot?

I think it was Dunfermline where he got somebody straight in the gonads?

Big berts fair flew in but reckon the hammer will have been harder

The excitement and expectation every time we got a free kick within 30 yards was immense. Apart from the obvious against the beggars, the one that sticks in my head was a midweek against Hibs where I think we won 4-0. He hit it under the wall who jumped and the ball then rose into the top corner, you'd think he used a 3 wood, it was a thing of beauty.

Loved watching the big man and met him once as well and he was an absolute gent, I think he took to Ranges as much as we took to him

Back