Josh Doig - Hibs?

Im not saying anything different mate.I like him and would like to see us take a punt on him.
Yeah he looks a prospect but they won't sell to us.

I'm all for monitoring him but he needs games to develop so it's better he stays at Hibs and plays than sits on our bench if he was to sign.

Young Maxwell scored against Hibs last week I'm sure and from what I've heard he sounds a good prospect aswell.

And no matter what I said you'd be jumping in with some weird comment.

I've said countless times that Patterson still has plenty of improving to do before he's at Tav's level.

You're a strange one.

You seem to have this fixation of bringing Paterson name into every discussion about other players we may have an interest in
we all like Paterson , you are taking it to the extremes , people can’t post about a player on here without you getting involved with same boring line

You seem to have this fixation of bringing Paterson name into every discussion about other players we may have an interest in
we all like Paterson , you are taking it to the extremes , people can’t post about a player on here without you getting involved with same boring line

Wrong again mate.

I've compared Doig to Maxwell and Bassey, as they play the same position as him.

I mentioned Patterson today because he was in direct opposition to him.

Anyway, none of it really matters.

The most important thing is we won again.

I don't know about Doig but we missed a trick by not taking Nisbet when we were looking at him imo.

He isn't good enough to start for us but he has a whole load of potential imo.

Today showed just why he’s not ready for us. He’s got a lot of developing to do if he wants to reach our level. Was dominated by Patterson today. Bassey will rightfully get the opportunity to show if he’s good enough for the future before we sign someone like doig.

I don't know about Doig but we missed a trick by not taking Nisbet when we were looking at him imo.

He isn't good enough to start for us but he has a whole load of potential imo.
Agree. But they will be looking for silly money now. Certainly a missed opportunity.

Agree. But they will be looking for silly money now. Certainly a missed opportunity.

Absolutely mate. Some of those punts are worth taking but don't work out, such as Hastie, but I really wish we had took the gamble on this guy at low cost. I've been impressed in 3 out of our 4 games this season by him and I note he has a couple of goals against the runners up this year too.

Hope he heads off down south and not to Celtic.

Still not convinced I'm afraid.

Decent young player, but certainly struggled today.

Patterson easily won the battle down that side of the park.
I thought that was Pattersons most accomplished game today I don't think he looks like a youth player anymore.

As Doig i thought the game totally passed him by I'd rather see how maxwell develops in the next 18 months than spend the money hibs would for Doig

Know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows Ross Wilson :p
Says he is meticulous in this type of thing, we just see him against us, but looks ok.

Why are people comparing Doig age wise to Bassey? Bassey turns 22 in December and Doig turns 19 in May. By the time Doig is the same age as Bassey is now, Bassey will be in his mid 20s.

Wouldn't it be good to pick up someone like Doig, loan out Bassey for a year to get first team football. Then season after loan Doig out for a year, Bassey comes back to challenge Borna. Then season after Doig comes back to challenge Bassey.

Isn't that the kind of succession system we've been talking about, since Gerrard came in.

On Maxwell, he is much further behind Doig in development at the moment and has a long way to go. That isn't to say Maxwell won't develop into a better player but right now I feel Doig is a better prospect.

I think Maxwell has great technique and potential. Right now he is lacking physically and needs work defensively but there are positive signs that he is improving there.

Absolutely spot on.

People saying Maxwell is a better option than Doig when he's playing for QOTS on loan while Doig is playing as a regular for Hibs who are likely going to finish 3rd and has English Premiership teams looking after him need to get a reality check.

Looking at SGs comments re Doig it kinda amounts to a tapping up as in we are keeping a close eye on you and there could be an option on future , which would realistically be when his contract expires with Exuberance FC because we wouldn’t get a fair price nor deal . Contracted until 2025 which is a bit short sighted if you ask me .
Player isn’t ready to come to us anyway he needs more skills and time to prove he can be a Ranger imo .
the club will know his representatives they have players at Rangers .

Looking at SGs comments re Doig it kinda amounts to a tapping up as in we are keeping a close eye on you and there could be an option on future , which would realistically be when his contract expires with Exuberance FC because we wouldn’t get a fair price nor deal . Contracted until 2025 which is a bit short sighted if you ask me .
Player isn’t ready to come to us anyway he needs more skills and time to prove he can be a Ranger imo .
the club will know his representatives they have players at Rangers .

Going by this logic, we are in for Luis Suarez, Raheem Sterling and Brian Rice as well.

People saying Maxwell is a better option than Doig when he's playing for QOTS on loan while Doig is playing as a regular for Hibs who are likely going to finish 3rd and has English Premiership teams looking after him need to get a reality check.
In what sense mate ?

maxwell is a gd player and he is Our player Our lad and is improving nicely .

there is nothing to draw a line of certainty between these players and no real need to . Even if Doig was better he isn’t available to us . Maxwell is .

Anyone know which foot Doig kicks with off the pitch ? I looked at his fb before but couldn't see anything

Just found he's a boyhood hearts fan.

“After being at Hearts for so long I was a bit down for the first week,” said Doig as he recalled his departure from his previous employers, a club he supported in childhood and had been at since the age of seven.

I thought that was Pattersons most accomplished game today I don't think he looks like a youth player anymore.

As Doig i thought the game totally passed him by I'd rather see how maxwell develops in the next 18 months than spend the money hibs would for Doig
Nathan Patterson is an amazing prospect.

He has played, literally, a handful of first team games and has made the progress that can take years for other players.

While I would not question your judgement, people said that there wouldn`t be life without Tavernier, yet that boy Patterson, who hardly had a competitive game bar his 13 (roughly 760 mins) with us, has been a revelation thus far - being far from perfect. Who knows what talent lingers at Auchenhowie?!

Hibs, like many other teams, have to blood their young and talented players pretty early, since they lack the cash for anything else. Some make it, some will never get past Premiership level, due to their talent not being nurtured in a way it should be. Hibs, in any case, did well to bind their more talented folk on longer deals.

I like Josh Doig as a young full back and would happily take a punt on him for £500k or less.

However, he's very suspect positionally which would be highlighted massively in Old Firm games and in Europe - similar to how Frimpong looked a world beater against Hamilton and the likes, then was like a rabbit caught in headlights in Old Firm games and in Europe.

There isn't really a comparison between Patterson and Doig. Patterson has been rated very highly at youth level for a while, and has something like 10 caps between U17 and U21 level for Scotland. Doig has one U18 cap. If we didn't have Tavernier, and this wasn't such a huge season, I imagine Patterson would have played a lot more than he has. Next year, I expect Tavernier to be rested a few more times between the bigger domestic and European games, especially if we make the Champions League.

He’s impressed me in the last couple of games against us, but today he got marked out the game when he tried to get forward, and struggled defensively when Patterson got forward.

Yes, but Maxwell is a Rangers player - and that’s why he’s on loan at QotS, because the current Croatia full-back is ahead of him at Ibrox, not because he’s not good enough for elsewhere. Were Maxwell, or Bassey for that matter, Hibs players then there is a distinct possibility either could keep Doig out the Hibs team. I must admit I’ve been surprised to see Maxwell do so well but he’s grabbed his chance.

Doig is promising. That’s it for me. Worth monitoring, but not necessarily a better option than the guys we have. Bar his poor night against St Mirren - and he was far from the only one, yet appears to be the scapegoat - Bassey has looked very decent and Maxwell has done well at Palmerston.

Last edited:
Back