Josh McPake

Pretty sure tonight is only his 7th appearence, most of which are from the bench. Hasnt had much of a chance there tbh

It will still benefit him being there. It's a difficult league and Dundee need promotion.

If Dundee aren’t going to play him.what’s the point?
2-0 down ffs

He was in the team mate, but his form dropped and he's been pretty poor tbh.

Josh's has been an inconsistent player, even with our youths.

Watching this is worse than watching paint dry
x318Lia.gif

He might be only 18yo but he needs more game time,not bench time

I agree, but he may need to drop a division.

He hasn't developed the way some of our other youngsters have, but he's still young and there's still time.

If it was game time he and the club were looking to gain he’d have been better off at a club that weren’t looking to get promoted tbh.

Just noted (and remember) Nicky Clark playing for the Arabs. Good to see one of those helping us up doing well, but for that rotten lot?

Imagine we sell Morelos (which will eventually happen) for the fees hoped for AND look at Shankland (not really sure about that), that lot will demand 10+m ...

Well, hopefully they go bankrupt well before that might happen.

Yeah, but apparently should be a fully formed, consistent player according to some replies here.

I was on a coaching course with a guy who had worked closely with McPake, said person has coached all over the world. He couldn't have spoke more highly of McPake's attitude, talent and potential.

If you're referring to me, well I'm only giving an opinion as someone who watches the youths fairly regularly.

Josh has got plenty talent and was a stand out in our youth set up a year, eighteen months ago, but others have progressed past him and developed a bit quicker.

He's still got plenty of time on his side though and is an excellent prospect.

He just needs to add some consistency to his game.

Hasn't done great at Dundee. Was actually probably the most consistent player in the academy last season and was almost unanimously the academy player of the year. Had a brilliant season.

Some 18yr olds hit the ground running in senior football, some dont. Some need more time to mature. Sure, McPake needs game time but he is hopefully at least learning from training with a senior squad of pros.

He's still a youngster with a lot to learn,however, my ex workmate who's a diehard Dundee fan thinks he's to predictable and would be best suited in a lower league to give him guaranteed game time.

Imagine we sell Morelos (which will eventually happen) for the fees hoped for AND look at Shankland (not really sure about that), that lot will demand 10+m ...

Sorry mate but Morelos and Shankland in the one sentence ?
One's a thoroughbred and the other is a Shetland pony.

Last edited:
Just noted (and remember) Nicky Clark playing for the Arabs. Good to see one of those helping us up doing well, but for that rotten lot?

Have you seen Dundee uniteds accounts? They'd bite anyone's hand for half a million for shankland.

Im not sure what the record transfer fee out of the Scottish championship is, but im pretty sure 500k would smash it by a factor of several

We should make a policy decision to only loan our young talent to teams outside of Scotland where they can learn how to play football.

Im not sure what the record transfer fee out of the Scottish championship is, but im pretty sure 500k would smash it by a factor of several
Billy McKinlay left Dundee United in 1995 for £1.75m when they were in the second tier.

Yeah, but apparently should be a fully formed, consistent player according to some replies here.

I was on a coaching course with a guy who had worked closely with McPake, said person has coached all over the world. He couldn't have spoke more highly of McPake's attitude, talent and potential.

loan deal may not have been the right move for this young fella having just signed for club possibly better education training with us everyday I presume if he’s 18 then eligible for reserve European squad if so he should be playing in that rather than on bench every week for Dundee

Sorry what? 10m for Shankland?

Can’t help but think some of the young boys would’ve benefited more from staying with our youth squad

for having a loans manager, we hage More misses than hits for our young bears out on loan

I increasingly think (and hope) that having a Colts team playing regularly in the SPFL set up somewhere (Championship level?) would be a much better way for us to try to develop some of these young lads. Not saying that we still couldn't / shouldn't loan the odd one or two out, but for the most part keeping them in house, playing properly competitive football, training under Rangers staff under the club ethos etc... surely that will give us a better idea of who's going to make it and at the same time maximising their exposure to the high quality environment to develop in.

Have you seen Dundee uniteds accounts? They'd bite anyone's hand for half a million for shankland.

I think the record transfer fee out of that league is £1.5m for Billy McKinlay last time United were relegated.

We paid £1.5m for Petric when they were relegated as well but he didn't play for them in the second tier.

Kelly is 18 months older than McPake. Should be expected to be ahead in his development.
Kelly is different class altogether .Watched him on Saturday and he was a standout.Everyone down there is raving obout him including Ex manager McCall who says he will be an international player within 3 years.Might not be with us though as he is a bit disillusioned by not getting his chance in the summer with us and will make up his mind at the end of the season if he wants to give it another year or ask to move on ,according to one of their coaching staff .No shortage of clubs for this boy believe me

I think the record transfer fee out of that league is £1.5m for Billy McKinlay last time United were relegated.

We paid £1.5m for Petric when they were relegated as well but he didn't play for them in the second tier.

Aye someone said earlier, couldn't believe that lol.

Kelly is different class altogether .Watched him on Saturday and he was a standout.Everyone down there is raving obout him including Ex manager McCall who says he will be an international player within 3 years.Might not be with us though as he is a bit disillusioned by not getting his chance in the summer with us and will make up his mind at the end of the season if he wants to give it another year or ask to move on ,according to one of their coaching staff .No shortage of clubs for this boy believe me

Pretty sure that if Stevie G thinks he can make it at Rangers, he'll have no problem persuading him to stay and give it his best shot.
Shame that SG wasn't in charge before Billy Gilmour signed for Chelsea. Probably cost us a 20M player, the timing there. What young midfielder wouldn't want to develop their game under SG & GMcA's guidance?

Back