Josh Windass sell on clause?

How often are we the ones doing the robbing? Not very often, so enjoy this. 2 million bangers we got for that throbber mwuhaha, kerching! No refunds, all sales are final thank you.

Whenever I see a thread on him I usually wonder if a few folk will make an appearance to hold their hands up, but they seem to avoid these threads like Josh and his old man avoid reality.

Windass was a first team regular playing at 9,10 or 11 so a fair comparison would be with his replacement? Defoe, Arfield and Kent
Grezda is a whole different conversation

Well his stats last season are far far superior to Kent’s this season and Windass played in a much worse Rangers team under much poorer managers.

Pelters?
Okay, I’ll play for a post or two.
Who would you have dropped for him?
How would you have shaped the line up knowing his lack of defending or tracking back might have been a problem.

Get your point mate, he is a somewhat "luxury" player in terms of tracking back but when he was with us he certainly offered us a lot going forward which we have lacked on occasions this season.

Would certainly have been nice to have as an option from the bench if we were struggling to break teams down.

18 goals in 2017/18 was a right good return for a bang average team

For all Grezda has done this season we would have been as well keeping Windass - attitude, tracking back etc was no better.

Let's be honest, he would have contributed more last season than the likes of Grezda who was a fucking disaster. Can't fault his 18 goals. Not that I'm suggesting we bring him back.

Who is/was the equivalent?
I have one player in mind I’d maybe have had Windass in ahead of.

Middleton and Grezda have played a decent amount of games between them and occupied game time Windass would likely have seen - the 3 of them.

For all Lafferty has done in the number 9 role we would have been as well giving Windass a shot at it as backup- he would have been more of a threat and fitted better with what we have looked for from a number 9.

Probably a few in Ibiza.
:))

Probably get knocked back from some clubs there aswell

He is p1sh and im so glad to see the back of him, ultimately very good in training and seemed to be geared up to flourish under Gerrard until it came to match day.

Last edited:
Middleton and Grezda have played a decent amount of games between them and occupied game time Windass would likely have seen - the 3 of them.

For all Lafferty has done in the number 9 role we would have been as well giving Windass a shot at it as backup- he would have been more of a threat and fitted better with what we have looked for from a number 9.
I’ll give you Lafferty but only with the benefit of hindsight.
Maybe true of Grezda as well.
However, the truth about Grezda and Middleton would be, to me, that it was an investment of time with them.
Let’s find out what they have to offer.
Grezda, at this point is way short of what we’re looking for but Middleton has done enough to show he’s worth persevering with.
Two things we wouldn’t have learned, whether you agree with my summation or not, had we played Windass.

Probably a few in Ibiza.

Thanks for reminding me about this Deportivo Ibiza shirt:

x3t9fxc.jpg

I would take Kent over Windass every day of the week.

You can't measure every attacking players output purely on the goals he's scored.
Yes - i would as well. Just pointing out the goals.

Kent himself knows -and has said publicly - that he needs to add more goals and assists.

I'll get pelters for this but I think we would have been closer to Celtic with him in the side this year.

Missed his goals and was the type of player we needed.

Guy was a throbber, that's not up for debate, but I liked him as a player.

We would have been closer to them with Morelos never suspended and Defoe and Davis in from August, not Windass in the squad.

The thing that annoyed me most was that he could have a good game then a bad game, in the same game!
Ha aye very true. He was frustrating as he does have some ability but didn't show it often enough and his off field behaviour didn't exactly endear himself to us

Just checked on my earlier post and 8 of his goals were v Hamilton, Fraserburgh and Ayr (just 2 v Ayr, hat tricks in the other 2)

Did about 8 of Windass's 18 goals not come against dross like Ayr and Hamilton in 2/3 games?

I don't think we've missed him much

Correct but the concept being applied here is you can take his goals from last season and add them to our total this season.

Apparently we'd have won the title if you replaced Grezda with him.

I can only assume its Dean Windass himself doing the thinking here.

Windass was a good footballer in terms of natural ability, but with zero intelligence (footballing or otherwise) that two million quid will likely be a career high transfer fee barring a Lazarus like comeback. We won't be seeing any windfall from his future transfers IMO.

Sky sources reporting that several clubs are wanting to sign Josh Windass from Wigan during the summer, hope we have a sell on clause attached to the deal and does anyone know if we do? Could be a nice little bonus to the coffers
What the whole £1.75,maybe the sheep might take him,since his old man played there,just about his level.

I heard on here that we never did replace his goals, must've dreamt that we scored more this season without him.

Yep and there's also the fact that nobody in the current team was asked to play just behind Morelos with little or no defensive responsibility.

We won a watch getting what we did for Windass.

Cyber pint that they sell him for more than they bought him for.

Internal market in England is nuts.

He'll be lucky to end up back at Accrington, an average footballer with an appalling mentality.

Why are people on here comparing him to grezda ? 2 different players

Why don’t you compare Windass to Katic while you are at it.

Windass doesn't have the heart, attitude and work ethic to contribute positively to a Gerrard team. It would only have been a season of exasperation.

We’ll never know what sort of impact he could've made if he had stayed. Might have chucked it being on the bench or might have knuckled down, suspect the latter given he’s been in and out of the Wigan team.

I do think that he could’ve been a good option to have though in a number of games where we needed a goal/change of things in the last 3rd.

Would much rather have gone in to the sheep semi with him in place of Sadiq that’s for sure.

The 3-2 game summed up his career perfectly with us. Scored a great goal inside 2 minutes. Disappeared for the rest of it.

I couldn’t stand Windass.

Part of that whole spice boy clique we seemed to have.

His interview with Ferry tells you all you need to know.

I’m really glad we’re shot of him and the gaffer would have had him sussed after a while I think.

I always had the impression he wasn't much of a team player & it was far more important to him that he scored than Rangers won.

Back