Josh Windass

I'm pretty sure Gerrard saw him as a number 10 and Josh sees himself as that now too.

Thinking about it a little more, this could make sense.

A front 3 of Kent, Morelos, Windass isn’t actually a bad option. Assuming Kent and Windass are the left and right “ number 10s“ (or inside left and inside right as I think they used to be called) with Tav and Borna providing the width down the wings.

Still not convinced Gerrard is comfortable with Windass in terms of character though.

Have to be honest, purely on technical ability and physical attributes Windass for me was a very good player. Sadly he didn't appear to have it going on upstairs, in a footballing sense or otherwise. One would maybe think that a good coach could turn him into a genuinely top player but he's probably missed the boat for that now.

Really worrying the direction we are going if this is even being considered. The constraints Gerrard must be working under must be severe. Ross Wilson needs to up his game here.

Thinking about it a little more, this could make sense.

A front 3 of Kent, Morelos, Windass isn’t actually a bad option. Assuming Kent and Windass are the left and right “ number 10s“ (or inside left and inside right as I think they used to be called) with Tav and Borna providing the width down the wings.

Still not convinced Gerrard is comfortable with Windass in terms of character though.

There's plenty goals and assists in that front 3 mate.

The character thing is the issue.

Really worrying the direction we are going if this is even being considered. The constraints Gerrard must be working under must be severe. Ross Wilson needs to up his game here.
It's not though.
It's just a made up rumour

He was and his attitude left a lot to be desired mate.

However, what can't be denied is the fact he scored over 20 goals in a season for a very poor Rangers team, playing off the striker.

Those goals included strikes at Pittodrie, Easter Rd, Murrayfield and against Celtic.

He impressed Gerrard at the Spanish training camp.

He would certainly be a massive goal threat in one of the number 10 positions if (and it's a big if) he's sorted out his attitude and has matured.

To say Gerrard didn't fancy him is miles off the mark.

Miles off the mark? He was literally one the first players he got out the door.

Granted he scored a few goals but how many times did he get his goal and then down tools? Celtic game was the perfect example. He was woeful in a lot of games at Ibrox and went missing as well. Mental that people think he can be our number 10. I don't recall him beating players or playing defence splitting passes like a number 10 should.

Granted he scored a few goals but how many times did he get his goal and then down tools? Celtic game was the perfect example. He was woeful in a lot of games at Ibrox and went missing as well. Mental that people think he can be our number 10. I don't recall him beating players or playing defence splitting passes like a number 10 should.
i think all 11 other players went missing that day. plus momentum shifted their way when they got a goal just before half time and altered their formation once down to 10 men (Michael Beale style). although i agree Windass did go missing most days. i wouldn't necessarily say it was just after he got a goal though.

He was out the door, not because Gerrard wanted rid of him, but because he couldn't guarantee him regular starts as a striker.

Wigan came in with a good offer and he was away.

I agree about the mentality issues, but he's certainly a far bigger goal threat than Barker, Jones and Ojo combined.

Certainly no worse mentally than most of the other players that were around during his last time.

Is he any better now than when he left a don’t think so but do any you guys keep track of him performances

He was out the door, not because Gerrard wanted rid of him, but because he couldn't guarantee him regular starts as a striker.

Wigan came in with a good offer and he was away.

I agree about the mentality issues, but he's certainly a far bigger goal threat than Barker, Jones and Ojo combined.

Certainly no worse mentally than most of the other players that were around during his last time.
Ojo and barker are utter garbage. We new this from the start. It’s not a high reference bar.

Considering we now have a decent sized recruitment team and DOF, it’d very questionable if we were to bring back Josh Windass.

Someones whos heart & head will never be in it.

Maybe just a little too early to say that Ross Wilson needs to up his game...

It’s well known that January is a difficult transfer window. We can’t and shouldn’t sign someone for the sake of it.

Maybe just a little too early to say that Ross Wilson needs to up his game...

It’s well known that January is a difficult transfer window. We can’t and shouldn’t sign someone for the sake of it.

agree we shouldn’t and reality is unless we generate funds no cash is left I suspect after pushing the boat in the summer.

i think all 11 other players went missing that day. plus momentum shifted their way when they got a goal just before half time and altered their formation once down to 10 men (Michael Beale style). although i agree Windass did go missing most days. i wouldn't necessarily say it was just after he got a goal though.
He would have got a double that day if it wasn’t for a cracking save at the end from bain where he parried it to morelos

Would be amazed if true. He isnt good enough to regularly start for us unless he has massively improved since he left

I think it would be a bit of a gamble that might just pay off. I'd hope he wasn't the only signing though.

What I will say is that you'll see a different Josh Windass playing next to Kent and in front of Jack and Davis than the one that played alongside Holt, Haliday, Goss and Dorrans

Not the level of player we need. Was decent when we had him but we have improved tenfold since then and he obviously had attitude problems.

anyone that leaves a team when Steven Gerrard takes over because he would have to fight for his place in the team has a severe attitude problem.

was against it because of his attitude but he did play a 10 role to good effect and we play 2 number 10s now he also can play as a 9 if we need him too and can press as we saw for his old firm goal. I can sort of see the joined up thinking if he is on a list. would be very short term for me.

It would be really short sighted move by us to have Windass back. IMO he’s nowhere near good or disciplined enough to help us mount a challenge for the title, he must be one of the most disliked Rangers players I can remember. A throw back to an era I‘d rather forget.

From what I can see he’s played 56 games for Wigan, scored 9 goals and had 4 assists. Has he improved since he left us so much so that he could now be our no10 ?

If Gerrard wanted him to stay he would still be here.

Yes I would take him over Ojo, Barker, Jones and Hastie but that’s not really much of an argument. We need much better than that. For what it’s worth id have Candeias back over all of them in a heartbeat as well.

I would much rather a player who had the passing ability of unlocking defences from a number 10 position, teams play two banks of 4 at Ibrox. Hopefully just a nonsense rumour, he had his chance.

Hopefully rubbish.

As much as Windass actually looks on paper exactly the sort of player we’re lacking - a goal scoring right sided attacker - it was his attitude that was the big question mark.

Gerrard has been trying to cultivate a winning mentality at the club, so moving for a guy on loan who made a habit of hiding throughout games he didn’t fancy, and one that evidently can’t get into the first eleven of a side that’s second bottom of the Championship looks both ill-advised and a little desperate.

If there is truth to it he would neee to come back and get more morals from the role that he will be playing

I would take him, but I was a fan of his when he was here. His goals from midfield are definitely missed and I think the only way he would be back would be after Gerrard gives him an earful of his expectations. After lafferty and jones, I don’t think Gerrard is going to sign someone who he knows had a bit of an attitude

As a quick fix we could do a lot worse. We are in the last few days of the window and Windass is a low risk signing. Played in the league before, knows the club, coaching staff, teammates and the Gaffer. We all know what we are getting with this transfer. No surprises really. I think Windass adds more to our attack than the likes of Jones and Barker do. He also has goals in his game.

Contrary to the myths being peddled on here, Windass was a player that Gerrard wanted to keep hold of in his first season at the club. The decision to leave was very much Josh's.

He wanted him gone because he wasn’t good enough, what’s changed?

He didn't though mate.

Read the quote from Gerrard, a poster inserted further up the thread.

Ability isn't in question for me, but attitude is.

Would be amazed if true. He isnt good enough to regularly start for us unless he has massively improved since he left

I’d doubt he would be getting signed to regularly start. If this is true, he’d be getting signed as a regular second half sub for Aribo but one who we expect will actually change something by coming on the park and who could - on a good day - have some chance of challenging for the first team.

Would find it hard to believe Gerrard would want to bring someone back on loan that walked out on him at the first opportunity he got.

Back