Jozef Venglos dead

I remember when we played the yahoos at Ibrox he brought on David Hannah as a sub only to bring him off about 10 mins later. Hannah went mental and was punching the perspex of the dugout.
Dr Jo was an amiable guy with a pretty impressive coaching CV.
R I P Dr Jo

Well respected in the Aston Villa support as well. Suffered the mocking of an uneducated press up here, seemed to live a full and varied life and that’s all we can ask for our time here

A decent man and experienced football manger who was well respected. Not 'Celtic minded' and did not allow himself to be 'influenced' by his clubs 'support'. As his vile clubs supporters descended into meltdown and his own players lack of discipline boiled over the day we won the league at the piggery, he behaved with dignity.
Sad news indeed , RIP , Dr Jo.

My dad met him in the bar of a Glasgow hotel mid-way through the season he managed them.

Said he was very affable and as previous posters have said, he didn’t seem to have much time for the tier jumping, referee attacking thuggery that his “supporters” launched in May 1999.

Slovakia's coaching great Jozef Vengloš passes away​

Slovak football and Europe's coaching community are mourning the death of Jozef Vengloš, who made a crucial contribution to Czechoslovakia's 1976 EURO triumph.

Slovakian and European football is mourning renowned coach Jozef Vengloš, who has passed away at the age of 84.

Vengloš, born in Ružomberok, played in midfield for Slovan Bratislava from 1954 to 1966 before going on to enjoy a unique and distinguished coaching career. His greatest success came as assistant to Václav Ježek, when he played a vital role in Czechoslovakia's triumph at the 1976 UEFA European Championship in Yugoslavia. A vibrant Czech team clinched the title, Antonín Panenka's remarkable chipped spot kick winning a dramatic penalty shoot-out in the final against West Germany in Belgrade after the game had finished level at 2-2 after 120 minutes.

Four years later, having taken over as head coach, Vengloš led Czechoslovakia to third place at EURO 1980 in Italy, another shoot-out win against the Italian hosts giving the Czechs the bronze medal. He also reached the 1990 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals in Italy during a second stint as Czechoslovakia coach. Vengloš coached four other national teams – Australia, Malaysia, Oman and his native Slovakia.

Widely travelled at club level, Vengloš became the first foreign coach to manage a club in England's top flight when he took charge of Aston Villa in July 1990. Slovan Bratislava, Fenerbahçe and Celtic were among his other club coaching assignments. He won two Czechoslovakian league titles with Slovan, as well as the Malaysian championship with FC Kuala Lumpur.

EURO 1976 final hero Panenka paid a warm tribute, telling UEFA.com: "I will always remember Jozef Vengloš as one of the best coaches I played under – not because of the successes we achieved, but for his personal and coaching qualities. He formed a perfect duo with Václav Ježek, who was a bit more impulsive and motivating, while Jozef was calm, distinguished, patient when explaining the tactics. He was a natural authority, experienced, well educated. I will always have only very nice memories of him."

"He helped me to move further forward than any other coaches," added Ján Švehlík, the former Slovan Bratislava forward who scored Czechoslovakia's first goal in the 1976 final. "I am very grateful for what he did for me. He was very professional, and ahead of his time."

Aston Villa, in paying tribute, described Vengloš as "an intelligent manager, strict disciplinarian and highly respected...there was no question about his pedigree." Celtic said that Vengloš "always remained a hugely popular figure with fans."

Distinguished UEFA career

Vengloš was a much-respected figure with UEFA coaching circles. He was chairman of the European body's Technical Development Committee from 2000 to 2004, and vice-chairman from 2004 to 2006, before serving as a member of the UEFA Jira Panel of European coaching experts between 2004 and 2009. Vengloš also gave invaluable service to UEFA as a member of technical study groups at various major competitions.

He received the UEFA Order of Merit in Diamond in 2007 for his outstanding services to European football.

A highly well respected European coach, who the Scottish media knew nothing about.

RIP Dr Jo

Must admit, I did chuckle when I read they sang “I would rather be a doctor than a dick” when he joined same time as Advocaat.

He seemed a good guy.

Back