Juan Alegria

Definitely ready physically.

Technically needs some work, but there’s ability in there.

Him, McCann and KRH all trained with the first team this week as they are ineligible for the YCL, so don’t think they were called up or anything.

I actually think Weston is better than Alegria just now, but I think Alegria is very coachable so interesting to see how he develops.
Do you think Weston will make it with us? I would love to see a young striker make the step up to the first team and do well.
I can’t remember the last one that did

Do you think Weston will make it with us? I would love to see a young striker make the step up to the first team and do well.
I can’t remember the last one that did
Last one was Robert Fleck, although we did bring through Spencer and McSwegan who at a different time may have played more.

To answer your question, I’m not sure to be completely honest. It’s hard to gauge, they are generally playing at a really low level and we’ve seen hundreds of strikers tear it up at youth or reserve level but never made it.

Hardie, Gallagher, Tom Brighton, Andy Dallas - you could go on for days.

The academy is going on the right direction, the next step for guys like Weston, McCann and Alegria is to perform at a higher level.

I think he’s one of the ones that have a chance right enough.

Last one was Robert Fleck, although we did bring through Spencer and McSwegan who at a different time may have played more.

To answer your question, I’m not sure to be completely honest. It’s hard to gauge, they are generally playing at a really low level and we’ve seen hundreds of strikers tear it up at youth or reserve level but never made it.

The academy is going on the right direction, the next step for guys like Weston, McCann and Alegria is to perform at a higher level.

I think he’s one of the ones that have a chance right enough.

Do you think he's ready for a Championship loan to QOS, Ayr or the likes, or would League 1 be more realistic mate?

I would love to see guys like Lowry, Weston, Algeria and McCann start to make first team appearances but is very hard to gauge what level they are at.

Physically I think McCann and Algeria are ready but mentally are they, technically not sure Algeria is but McCann maybe is.

Weston is just a natural finisher, but mentally does he have it to do that in front of 50k fans per week against much better keepers and defenders. I think he is getting there physically, he definitely looks like he is starting to bulk up a bit.

Lowry I think has the arrogance to play in our team, he seems to have something a bit different about him but again he is quite slight.

It would be good to get a closed door game and stick these 4 in with first team players against say EFL Championship opposition see how they fair.

He trained with the first team last week, Surely he's worth a place on the bench before Fashion?

He probably only trained with the first team because the majority of his normal training group were abroad playing their youth game.

He hasn't consistently impressed playing against 5th tier semi pros, so I don't see him forcing his way into the first team squad yet.

Definitely a good prospect, but still just a prospect.

Alloa away - I’m not sure any of our first team players could go there and score 3 goals

In fact, I’m not sure THE first team could go there and score 3 goals just now.

Alloa reserves away tbf.

They rested 8 first team players for that game.

we’ve seen hundreds of strikers tear it up at youth or reserve level but never made it.

AB9-E0-A4-A-3-DF3-4635-83-AE-A44-DAD17947-E.jpg

Jazz Juttla! I genuinely believed he would become our new McCoist.

We seemed to be obsessed with physicality in this country, imo that is part of the problem.
If the boys are good enough we should be encouraging creativity not stifling it or waiting until the bulk up.
Partly agree, however physical attributes are important.

Players need to be able to shake off their opponent, get by their man and it is easier to carry the ball if you have a bit of pace or strength.

For example, you could argue Scott Wright still gets pushed off the ball too easily and that’s after we’ve put a shit ton of muscle on him, where as Kent has the upper body strength to carry the ball.

There’s a middle ground, sometimes when people say “physical” they envisage booting players or flying elbows - that’s generally not what people mean when they refer to physical attributes.

Having the physical attributes help the player reach peak performance, putting a 17 year old centre half who is built like fag paper up against the likes of Chris Kane is just asking for trouble.

S&C guys are critical to a team these days.

Last edited:
For us, aye.

The coaching staff see them day-in-day-out in order to make that assessment. I trust them to make the right calls, let’s see if GVB integrates them more.
I have said before EB there is good talent coming through and would not be surprised to see some on bench tonight or even included, as I think this is a free hit for GVB 2 days with the team to get them to improve from Sunday, would be an opportunity to see how they handle the atmosphere no time like present to find out, I know GVB stated he wanted to win every competition he was involved in which is good to hear, I personally would forfeit EL for the title because that is where the money will be this season and hopefully with all our new acquisitions will help them invest and produce going forward. I am just glad we have a manager who is willing to play youth we did here Gerrard saying same but did not utilise the boys because it would reflect on him if did not go to plan, but continued to play players out of position and some out of form, and bailed when got tough, it was always a long term plan for the academy to produce and for all the players that's been brought through it has not been enough, lets hope times are changing and starting to make some money on the back of our academy.

We seemed to be obsessed with physicality in this country, imo that is part of the problem.
If the boys are good enough we should be encouraging creativity not stifling it or waiting until the bulk up.
I agree, Its still the old school get into thum mentality.
Half of FF has are nutricionists and dietitions every time someone has a bad run of form, its utter nonsense.
Like almost every sport its 90% mentality and 10% fitness.

Just waiting for the nuroligists coming along in any minute. lol

Partly agree, however physical attributes are important.

Players need to be able to shake off their opponent, get by their man and it is easier to carry the ball if you have a bit of pace or strength.

For example, you could argue Scott Wright still gets pushed off the ball too easily and that’s after we’ve put a shit ton of muscle on him, where as Kent has the upper body strength to carry the ball.

There’s a middle ground, sometimes when people say “physical” they envisage booting players or flying elbows - that’s generally not what people mean when they refer to physical attributes.

Having the physical attributes help the player reach peak performance, putting a 17 year old centre half who is built like fag paper up against the likes of Chris Kane is just asking for trouble.

S&C guys are critical to a team these days.
I agree to some extent, in my experience physicality is still a major priority in youth football to the detriment of skill and technical ability. Being a unit seems to be revered on here as well.

I have said before EB there is good talent coming through and would not be surprised to see some on bench tonight or even included, as I think this is a free hit for GVB 2 days with the team to get them to improve from Sunday, would be an opportunity to see how they handle the atmosphere no time like present to find out, I know GVB stated he wanted to win every competition he was involved in which is good to hear, I personally would forfeit EL for the title because that is where the money will be this season and hopefully with all our new acquisitions will help them invest and produce going forward. I am just glad we have a manager who is willing to play youth we did here Gerrard saying same but did not utilise the boys because it would reflect on him if did not go to plan, but continued to play players out of position and some out of form, and bailed when got tough, it was always a long term plan for the academy to produce and for all the players that's been brought through it has not been enough, lets hope times are changing and starting to make some money on the back of our academy.
There’s usually a couple of the B team players on the bench in Europe, think the only player missing from their game yesterday was McLelland though.

I actually don’t think Gerrard was that bad with the youth, McCrorie, Middleton and Patterson all played between 20-30 games under him.

Two of those, along with - McPake, Kelly, Dickson, King, Kennedy and Mebude all made debuts under him.

Whilst he also gave pre season game time this year to a few of the younger lads, and none of them really done anything to show they could be involved.

As a result they’ve mostly gone out on loan, the only ones seemingly playing well are Williamson, Mayo and Middleton. The likes of Kennedy and McPake aren’t even getting game time on their loans just now.

It’s difficult for Rangers to risk playing untried youth guys, the much spoke about Ajax model sees them going 3/4 years without a trophy - normally we wouldn’t accept that.

Regardless, it is exciting to see how Gio approaches this obviously being schooled in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
I agree to some extent, in my experience physicality is still a major priority in youth football to the detriment of skill and technical ability. Being a unit seems to be revered on here as well.
Yeah, I wouldn’t argue too much with that but sadly whilst guys like Billy Stark and Scott Gemmil oversee the national youth sides - nothing will change.

There’s usually a couple of the B team players on the bench in Europe, think the only player missing from their game yesterday was McLelland though.

I actually don’t think Gerrard was that bad with the youth, McCrorie, Middleton and Patterson all played between 20-30 games under him.

Two of those, along with - McPake, Kelly, Dickson, King, Kennedy and Mebude all made debuts under him.

Whilst he also have pre season game time this year to a few of the younger lads, and none of them really done anything to show they could be involved.

As a result they’ve mostly gone out on loan, the only ones seemingly playing well are Williamson, Mayo and Middleton. The likes of Kennedy and McPake aren’t even getting game time on their loans just now.

It’s difficult for Rangers to risk playing untried youth guys, the much spoke about Ajax model sees them going 3/4 years without a trophy - normally we wouldn’t accept that.

Regardless, it is exciting to see how Gio approaches this obviously being schooled in the Netherlands.

A very true and accurate post.

Whilst he also gave pre season game time this year to a few of the younger lads, and none of them really done anything to show they could be involved.

Thats fair enough, I was just thinking with it being a free hit for him approaching this game with just 2 days spent with the players, was Algeria playing yesterday?

Thats fair enough, I was just thinking with it being a free hit for him approaching this game with just 2 days spent with the players, was Algeria playing yesterday?
No issues at all Scottie.

I’m very much in the “we need to win tonight” camp haha, I never like the idea of prioritising one tournament!

Alegria was training with the first team, he’s ineligible for the YCL and the EL anyway so no chance of him being involved.

No issues at all Scottie.

I’m very much in the “we need to win tonight” camp haha, I never like the idea of prioritising one tournament!

Alegria was training with the first team, he’s ineligible for the YCL and the EL anyway so no chance of him being involved.
I saw him at the training the other day which I thought was good to see in training with the 1st team, GVB has come in at a good time because least he has some good talent to work with in the youth set up and can only make them better, I am excited about the times ahead looking at the acquisitions we re making, I thoroughly enjoyed the insight video that was posted on Zac Jacobs watched all of that hope he comes as well

I agree, Its still the old school get into thum mentality.
Half of FF has are nutricionists and dietitions every time someone has a bad run of form, its utter nonsense.
Like almost every sport its 90% mentality and 10% fitness.

Just waiting for the nuroligists coming along in any minute. lol
My fee is £500/hour.

Some of these guys should be getting 15 mins here and there for the first team. Other teams do seem to play 18 year olds now and again.

You would like to think that is the plan for players like Alegria and especially Charlie McCann who is a stand out playing in the Lowland League.

6 months with the B-Team to get used to their new surroundings and our style of play then out on loan to a higher level to be challenged whilst playing every week.

Will then give players like Robbie Ure and Rory Wilson an opportunity to get more regular games for the B-Team.
In a perfect world they won't need a loan spell but be first team players. I hope we can bring Mayo back if good enough and sell simpson on. It would be good if Katic got up to speed but I doubt he is technical enough for GvB so I would imagine seeing a few central defenders coming in and going out..

It's not a free hit though mate.

Sunday's result, along with the financial benefit of victory tonight, makes it the furthest thing possible from a free hit.
I have been reflecting and rethinking what you are saying, win tonight we qualify then get to work on what and where we go forward. I was saying earlier would I forfeit EL for the title yes I would because of the financial benefits and straight in to group stages, but on hindsight lets get tonight over the line, did not mean to come across all negative

Kelly did enough in preseason to be involved ahead of Lundstram early this season. More than enough. Could easily have played both legs vs Alashkert and the first two rounds of the League Cup or Dunfermline at the very least. That's where I want to see reputations out the window.

Kelly did enough in preseason to be involved ahead of Lundstram early this season. More than enough. Could easily have played both legs vs Alashkert and the first two rounds of the League Cup or Dunfermline at the very least. That's where I want to see reputations out the window.
I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, Dunfermline more so than Alashkert.

I suspect had we made that European tie more comfortable than we would have seen him get minutes than he played, and Lowry get some.

What did he play against Dunfermline? 15? Yeah he definitely could have gotten more time a game that was over after 30 minutes.

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, Dunfermline more so than Alashkert.

I suspect had we made that European tie more comfortable than we would have seen him get minutes than he played, and Lowry get some.

What did he play against Dunfermline? 15? Yeah he definitely could have gotten more time a game that was over after 30 minutes.
I think the problem with Kelly and Lowry as it was illustrated in another thread is the amount of midfielders we have competing for 2-3 positions, although Lowry is looking exceptional I would like to see that boy given a chance which I am sure under this regime will only enhance him more as like the others

Back