Jukebox Durie

He was injured a lot while with us.
Think he had a health scare a few years back.
Always looked as if he could do with some sun and a holiday imo.

Holiday should not be a problem. Last I heard his Old Man, also Gordon and an ex workmate of mine, was living in Turkey.

A good hard working player with a poor first touch. He scored the goal which qualified Rangers for the 95/96 Champions League and also scored away against Borussia Dortmund in that seasons tournament.

A good hard working player with a poor first touch. He scored the goal which qualified Rangers for the 95/96 Champions League and also scored away against Borussia Dortmund in that seasons tournament.
The night the pitch was frozen & the players had to wear trainers, I read on here it only went ahead because so many bears travelled.

Durie was far more than an average player for us, he played 179 games scoring 59 goals, that's a 1 in 3 ratio, it shows that he was a valuable member of the squad under Smith. Worked hard for the team, very unselfish and played his part in our success under Smith

He was played out of position a lot I seem to remember. Scored some good goals. I think he scored a brilliant goal for Spurs shortly before we signed him

He was injured a lot while with us.
Think he had a health scare a few years back.
Always looked as if he could do with some sun and a holiday imo.
Recall he got a nasty one Vs POAK Salonica at Ibrox. They were goals down and the tie won which made the foul pointless. He hardly played after that. Pity, I liked his energy.

I have nothing bad to say about Durie. Scored some cracking goals for us especially in the 5-1 final. His son asked him to score a hat trick that day and he duly obliged.

Whenever I think of Durie, I remember that scare he gave us at (I think) Rugby Park when he took a head knock then collapsed a few minutes later off the ball. Deadly hush went round the whole ground and he was taken off unconscious. I can't remember when we found out he was ok, but it was well after the game. Can't even remember the score, or the game.

My recollection is he was a bit of a squad player except for the “cup final” season where he was on fire and scored a load.

He was a good honest pro. Not prolific but scored some great goals and some important goals too.

As well as the hat-trick in the SC Final, scored the winner against Famagusta for us to qualify for the CL in 1995.

He wasn’t an out and out penalty box type striker. He was good in the air and pacey, not lightning but decent pace and workrate. Touch wasn’t the best but was Rangers through and through and chipped in with some important goals, always liked him.

The night the pitch was frozen & the players had to wear trainers, I read on here it only went ahead because so many bears travelled.
Correct! Durie was magnificent that night after Gascoigne was sent off, kept the whole Dortmund back 4 busy all by himself, never has a goal been more deserved.

Just a squad player,well then like today we had a squad,so to me it is a compliment not a put down.

BTW I liked him as a player.

A bit harsh that, he was much better than average him and Laudrup played well together.
I’d agree with that actually. His problem was that he wasn’t really an out and out striker but tended to be thought of as that in his capacity with us.

He looked great at Hibs as a youngster (Wallace wanted to sign him) and is still remembered fondly at Spurs, but because his goals to games ratio wasn’t on a par with McCoist or Hateley he was felt to be a bit underwhelming in a blue jersey when I actually thought he was a very useful squad player.

Last edited:
Saw Jukebox in the lounge at Gleneagles, a couple of months ago.
Having a meal with his family, and was looking well.
Was a decent player for us IMHO.

Was he not a bit like Kenny Miller in the sense he’d chase crisp packets around the pitch but could have erratic finishing?.

Advocaat kept him around so must have been a decent player, coupled with a great attitude.

I was watching the masters a few weeks ago & he was always one of the better ones in the Rangers team who was still very fit & could still have been playing.

Cup final hat-trick & yet your not remembered for it, how unlucky :))
He was a better player than Miller. Never signed for Celtc either, so that's another positive.

He gave us a massive boost in the 93/94 season when he came in as we were struggling and took the weight of Hateley.
In hindsight he would have been a better signing for us about 5 months earlier than shelling out £4 million on Duncan Ferguson.

He scored a lot of important goals and worked his socks off for us. He was a regular starter for Scotland as well during his time with us.

Couple of wee weirdos. Who gets Durie or Porrini on the back of their shirt in times where we had some of our best ever players ffs? :cool:
Aye, who'd have thought Rangers fans getting Rangers players names on the back of their Rangers top, strange one that

5 years at Chelsea, 2 years at Spurs, 7 years at Rangers, not bad for a bang average player :)

Chelsea and Spurs back then were not the teams they are now ffs, a ridiculous comparison.

Nuno Capucho played for Porto, I cant be arsed going through countless average players who were on the books of big teams.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on him with the bang average description but he was for the most part just eh, average!

All in my opinion of course as stated previously

For some reason I always remember Durie for a miss he had for Scotland and I'm sure afterwards either he or Coisty said he'd had a head knock earlier in the game, was seeing double and shot into the wrong goal.

Trying to google this and can find no proof it isn't a fiction of my imagination, but I'm sure I remember this happening, possibly at Italia 90?

For some reason I always remember Durie for a miss he had for Scotland and I'm sure afterwards either he or Coisty said he'd had a head knock earlier in the game, was seeing double and shot into the wrong goal.

Trying to google this and can find no proof it isn't a fiction of my imagination, but I'm sure I remember this happening, possibly at Italia 90?
Turdo McLeod?

Back