Jurgen Klopp being an oddball

No major opinion on Klopp other than he is obviously a great manager. He does sometimes come across a bit spikey for no apparent reason but I thought that about Gerrard too.

In his defence here it was a completely sh!te question, but not sure why he acted the way he did. It was the sort of reaction you'd expect from a manager who is about to lose their job, which he obviously isn't.

What a sissy question is my first thought! Essentially “Mr Klopp what do think about the fact that in life anything can happen? So I this crazy league anyone can get injured and anything can happen….remember it did happen last year!”

Klopp should have answered it’s a fair point….”anything can happen, you even made it out of reporter school and got a job!!”

Could he have dealt with it better? Yes.

Would we all get absolutely sick of the stupid questions these 'journalists' pose on a regular basis? Yes.

It must be so frustrating having to answer these non-questions, it's probably only natural that he has started biting at them.
Fcucking stupid questions from a guy who sounded thick as pig shit.

What is it with this absolute throbber? Why does he need to try and belittle reporters at every turn? Maybe if he stopped interrupting the reporter could have finished his question.

Added link below to the press conference question, but if you don't have Twitter what happens is that a reporter asks about injuries last season and not knowing what's around the corner and Klopp just keeps interrupting him.

It was a shit question to be fair.

Can anything happen?

Eh, yes. Next question.

Complete throbber of a man that pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes with his stupid smile and funny quips when it was all going his way.

It was a poor question but they are football managers. They are asked banal questions on a daily basis. Klopp though seemingly goes out of his way to belittle people. He's become embittered. Mourinho went the same way.

Were all asked banal and stupid questions daily with our jobs and those of us who are married ....!!

Doesn't give Klopp the right to speak to folk like shit

Liked him to begin with. He now spends half the match trying to get opposition players carded. Prick of a man.

Every manager nips at reporters from time to time, especially when they ask silly questions like that.

Certainly though if you want to push Klopp's buttons, he's hyper sensitive to anything to do with injuries and squad management. He regularly rants about the need for more subs and fewer fixtures as the high-intensity style, high press and lack of squad rotation are all key parts of his approach. Ask him anything on that and there's a decent chance he'll sound off.

Journalists always ask shitty almost rhetorical questions, but Klopp is a prick and when he's under pressure he cracks big time.

If Gerrard had said similar (which he often did - although not quite as directly) when he was with us it would have been lapped up and that he doesn’t take any shit from the media etc.
Thought the same. SG was pretty short with some journalists when asked daft questions.

Klopp being asked 'do you think with injuries/covid, you could lose games?' He can be an idiot at times when speaking to the media but I don't think he's at fault to react the way he did in that video.

What is it with people wanting to belittle and make fools of others? What's wrong with just being a guy, and being civil? You catch more with honey than vinegar.

I've removed the interruptions and the stuttering, and this is what we have:

Reporter: It was this weekend last year that you went to Palace and won 7-0, then the injuries kicked in and you went on that poor run of results. Is that a warning that in this league, even after a great start you don't know what's round the corner - we've got the covid situation at the moment, you just don't know what's round the corner.

Klopp: what has one got to do with the other? Maybe because I interrupted plenty of times. What is it that you wanted?

Reporter: the Premier league is such a crazy league (Klopp nods), that just about anything can happen and you had that fantastic start last season and then you had all the injuries and then this season you've had a fantastic start and anything can happen.

Press officer: I think the question is 'could we lose games?'

Klopp: oh Russell, surprise... Yes.

Maybe it's my aspergers, but I don't see anything wrong with what Klopp has said here at all. The reporter asked a convoluted mess of a 'question', he asked for clarification, the reporter made another statement (cause it wasn't a question), the press officer summarised, Klopp answered the yes/no question appropriately.

Put it this way, if our manager (any of them) did exactly the same, the forum wouldn't be critical of him and would be full of posts praising him... Probably with the word 'clamped' used.

IIs it that good old British mentality of 'we enjoyed you til you had your success, but that's quite enough now and we're going to tear you down'?

Gerrard was rude more than nice to folk asking him questions! Everyone loved it on here as it was him “slapping down the media” or “putting them in their place”! I think Gerrard would be worse than Klopp if he got that question. Sometimes these guys are stressed or annoyed and it doesn’t mean it’s right, I didn’t enjoy when Gerrard was a lady's front bottom for no reason, thought it came across like he was stressed but if you loved it when he done it why the faux outrage now? Not a massive klopp fan give me a guy like Klopp who has genuine character than some boring pathetic lady's front bottom like Ole.

I've removed the interruptions and the stuttering, and this is what we have:

Reporter: It was this weekend last year that you went to Palace and won 7-0, then the injuries kicked in and you went on that poor run of results. Is that a warning that in this league, even after a great start you don't know what's round the corner - we've got the covid situation at the moment, you just don't know what's round the corner.

Klopp: what has one got to do with the other? Maybe because I interrupted plenty of times. What is it that you wanted?

Reporter: the Premier league is such a crazy league (Klopp nods), that just about anything can happen and you had that fantastic start last season and then you had all the injuries and then this season you've had a fantastic start and anything can happen.

Press officer: I think the question is 'could we lose games?'

Klopp: oh Russell, surprise... Yes.

Maybe it's my aspergers, but I don't see anything wrong with what Klopp has said here at all. The reporter asked a convoluted mess of a 'question', he asked for clarification, the reporter made another statement (cause it wasn't a question), the press officer summarised, Klopp answered the yes/no question appropriately.

Put it this way, if our manager (any of them) did exactly the same, the forum wouldn't be critical of him and would be full of posts praising him... Probably with the word 'clamped' used.

IIs it that good old British mentality of 'we enjoyed you til you had your success, but that's quite enough now and we're going to tear you down'?
Taking out the stutters and interruptions removes the context.

Gerrard was rude more than nice to folk asking him questions! Everyone loved it on here as it was hike “slapping down the media” or “putting them in their place” give me a guy like Koop who has genuine character than some boring pathetic lady's front bottom like Ole.
I remember a few times people questioned his approach.

The reporter is being pretty polite even if the question is just a standard mundane one you see in all press conferences. Klopp acts like a d*ck as well so not a great combination. 'What kind of person are you?' F*ck up mate, its a bog standard press conference not a question under oath in court,.

One thing I'm sure we'd all agree on though is there is far, far too many press conferences. Klopp should be more polite to the guy but at the same time, and this isn't defending his daft attitude here, but they must be absolutely sick of having to attend 1 of these every week being asked the same questions each time.

Don't see much wrong with that - the reporter tries to make a point about injuries and how they effected them last season and you think he is heading down that same track about whether it could be the same this season.

He then loses his bottle and ends up blethering about what a crazy league the EPL is plus a bit of Covid banter. None of which are related to the original question.

Taking out the stutters and interruptions removes the context.
I will politely disagree.

The context (the situation within which something happens) is that the reporter was there for a prematch press conference with the task of asking a question.

That the reporter cannot ask a question is not the fault of Klopp. He asked the guy to explain what it was he wanted to know and the reporter just made it less of a question to the point that the press officer had to step in and reframe it. Ultimately it was a closed question so it got an answer befitting the question.

Is it wrong to expect a degree of competence from those who are paid to ask questions at these things? I don't think it is.

Last edited:
Klopp used to be enjoyable as a neutral, his press conferences were funny and snappy, he was upbeat and great with everyone.

He's still a tactical genius, no doubts.

But he's became a bitter bitter bastard. Unbearable to listen to or watch, always has an excuse to do with weather or decisions when Liverpool lose, hates being reminded of things going wrong.

The journalist here, was getting big smiles n looks from Klopp until he said, and then injuries kicked in, and his face was visibly bitter with anger.

He's a throbber.

i would love to see a reporter go back at a manager! I think you get more respect if you stick up for yourself. Everyone just shits themselves if it’s a manager with an “edge”

Overreaction but what was the question. That anything can happen in football. What's he supposed to say. Yes..next question.

i would love to see a reporter go back at a manager! I think you get more respect if you stick up for yourself. Everyone just shits themselves if it’s a manager with an “edge”
Agreed but they’ll more and likely just be banned from future press conferences or not be allowed to ask a question in the future.

It probably has more to do with who he is up against, Pep, and the fact hes beaten City in the past, than what he actually said in that interview cos there wasnt anything to get upset about.

You might also find the reporter has annoyed the Liverpool manager before this interview and thats why there was little or no sympathy for his dumb questions.

Back