Just found this today - El Mundo Deportivo from 25th May 1972

iangrazza

Like everybody else, I'm having a tidy up and I found this today. It's El Mundo Deportivo from 25th May 1972 the day after the game. I picked it up before we flew home.
I went to the game with orders for programmes (including from some of my teachers) but sadly there were none. This is my souvenir of the match.
I can probably scan and post the pages if anyone fancies translating it!
Petty I didn't find it a few days ago.

I’ve just had a quick scan(Spanish speaker) and the headlines are not overly positive.

Complaining about the pitch invasion “destroying the grass and facilites”, how Dinamo want UEFA to replay the game, 20,000 Scottish fans in the stadium. A great game ruined by the aftermath.

I’ve just had a quick scan(Spanish speaker) and the headlines are not overly positive.

Complaining about the pitch invasion “destroying the grass and facilites”, how Dinamo want UEFA to replay the game, 20,000 Scottish fans in the stadium. A great game ruined by the aftermath.

Pretty much the same as the Scottish press then :))

It was always going to be negative by a state run newspaper..

Funny enough the spanish people at the time thought that this was a catalyst for the downfall of their fascist dictatorship, as Franco's dreaded police were overrun.

Yes it was mostly critical. I have that somewhere in the loft.

Funny enough the spanish people at the time thought that this was a catalyst for the downfall of their fascist dictatorship, as Franco's dreaded police were overrun.

The dictatorship never fell by force.

Power was passed to Juan Carlos, Who became King, once Franco had died.

He was expected to continue the dictatorship, but instead chose to return Spain to a democracy.

Back