Just how good is our defence?

Glrach_

In my opinion having kept three clean sheets so far in the league and all of our pre season games is incredibly promising.
Our team looks incredibly hard to break down.
I think Jack and Kamara, who have received a bit of stick on here recently, deserve credit when it comes to pitching in for this tight unit.

Very impressed by Steven Gerrard’s management so far this season. Exciting times ahead.

3 games and three clean sheets is the start we dreamed of and Balogun has been a real asset. So far, so good.

BUT Dolly and the two Saints have been utter dug meat so we'll get a much better appraisal once we've played every team once.

I expect Livi to 'put some stick about' on Sunday and they may be our hardest test yet.

Need harder tests. I remember playing for my school football team and Ross County development squads and keeping clean sheets and feeling invincible. Eventually we came up against better teams with better players and got slaughtered and i went home with my tail between my legs. Let's see how it stands after we've completed our first round of fixtures and Euro games.

It’s all relative. In a Scottish context it’s as good as any. In a European context it’s extremely average.

Better than last season but still plenty room to improve. That said, the players haven't had time to bed in yet between injuries and newbies. Its really promising tho and hopefully by the time we meet better teams we will be stronger still.

We have had a great start across the board but it feels like we are capable of going up several gears from back to front.

Better than previous seasons but not there yet going by the chances we have let through. StJ should have scored.

We have yet to be tested, however my in my opinion our lads have done a remarkable and professional job. I have every confidence in them. I am not in favour of three or more players being replaced at the same time ,no matter how they have trained.

In my opinion having kept three clean sheets so far in the league and all of our pre season games is incredibly promising.
I think Jack and Kamara, who have received a bit of stick on here recently, deserve credit when it comes to pitching in for this tight unit.

Very impressed by Steven Gerrard’s management so far this season. Exciting times ahead.
Defence can only be as good as the men in front of them . If midfield keep giving up the ball and it keeps coming back in time will always be mistakes . It’s probably hard for team s we play that’s what happens to them.

I don't know how to quantify how good/bad our defence is.

I do know that when we concede any goal expect :

Horrendous defending
Horrific defending
Schoolboy error
I wank dugs - never a full back or Rangers captain

Watch matchday threads for proof - it is coming - and the Carstairs Cavaliers on here will go crazy.

With all due respect to Livi, we should be annihilating them.

We should, but I’ve been reading a lot about Dykes on here and he seems to be something special. I don’t see it personally but there ya go. As long as play smart and don’t do anything stupid I think we should be fine.

We need a win streak past 5 games. If we manage that then a milestone will have been reached. Clean sheets will go a long way to achieving this.

‘Incredibly hard’ for pub teams. We are very good for Scotland.

Our defence was generally excellent all of last season as well, despite the shit show post January. Our problem was we couldn’t score.

No doubt that McGregor and Goldson particularly have been superb signings under Gerrard.

Crosses and corners into our box can be a worry and we always have a keystone cops phase in most games when we cant clear our lines bringing unnecessary pressure on to us. But we are looking fairly solid with plenty of options.

We done pretty well in Europe the last 2 season for having an average defence.
I meant in the grand scheme of things. Leverkusen took us apart at Ibrox and most teams in the later stages of the CL would do the same. It's probably as good as we can afford but its not in the same league as the big boys.

Not been tested yet.

I can't fault them so far
But I don't have confidence in them yet either

Individually they were good the majority of last season- but some of the silly goals we conceded were more down to how well they covered for each other or played as a unit together

Balogun has - in a short time - given me hope that we will improve the way we play as a unit - but of course it's early days & sterner tests have yet to come

Teams capitalised when our full backs were so high up the park.

The manager has identified this and played Jack and Kamara to offer protection to when full backs are further up the field.

This allows for aribo to push forward aswell.

Same way morelos is dropping deeper to collect the ball pass to aribo/jack/kamara then find hagi/Kent on the run.

It’s the same formation but with a different plan on how to create/stop chances at both ends of the park.

If Baloguns injury isn't serious, we're going into a league campaign with the best options we've had possibly in my living memory

Our defence has not been seriously tested. Pass judgment when we have played every team home and away. Livi will give us a kicking on Sunday but will rely on Dykes to try and boss Helander and Goldson to allow their midfield to press in behind. Killie will be similar next week with Kabamba and then Dicker and Power kicking everything above grass level and Findlay and Broadfoot being sneaky but screaming for fouls anytime Morelos looks at them sideways.

Genuinely chuckled

Starting options definitely aren't Weir & Cuellar/Bougherra but Goldson, Helander and Balogun is probably as good as it's been for ages in terms of strength in depth

In fairness, I take your point. We do have a great group atm.

Reactions: CR5
Better than last season but still plenty room to improve. That said, the players haven't had time to bed in yet between injuries and newbies. Its really promising tho and hopefully by the time we meet better teams we will be stronger still.

We have had a great start across the board but it feels like we are capable of going up several gears from back to front.

Improvement is good on the best defence in the league last season.

Very untested to date, which in itself is a good thing and a positive.
Give it a few more games before deciding.

Pretty average although Balogan will strengthen the defence.Could have lost 2 goals against poor st johnston side bar decent goalkeeping. Still expect a few chances will be made against us because of tav and goldston getting caught out of position and some day the short free kick carry on will make us look foolish. Just an opinion right enough.Not slagging them just stating my opinion .

Our defence has never really been the issue.

It's been the midfield in from of them and the link up play in final third.

Need to cut out moments of stupidity , for example goldson caught on the ball mid second half on Wednesday

Back