Just how good is our defence?

Even the best defences in the world will give up a couple of chances to inferior opposition. I believe us to be very strong defensively. Hope I'm right.

Our defence has never really been the issue.

It's been the midfield in from of them and the link up play in final third.

I must say I have to disagree with this

Sure it's a good thing if the first line of defence is the midfield & even better if the attack is so busy our defence or midfield won't matter so much

Considering the silly goals we conceded after new year - & the lack of positional cover & ability to play as a defensive unit - that caused this - it's obvious to me at least - improvement is definitely needed

A solid & confident defence affects the rest of the team positively & is instrumental in success

Relying on midfield & / or link-up play to overcome defensive frailties won't work imo

3 swallows etc. There’s an improvement but we’ve a bit to go still. Clean sheets will help the confidence that’s for sure.

Some seem to be wanting perfection, and it can’t happen.
Any team in the same league should be able to create one or two chances in 90 minutes, be it at Ibrox or away.
Teams created chances when Richard Gough was marshalling a fantastic defence, with the Goalie between the sticks. It is going to happen.
We looks solid defensively and are without doubt the strongest in the league.

Our defence has never really been the issue.

It's been the midfield in from of them and the link up play in final third.
Apart from the odd wobble I agree with you
A midfielder sitting in front of the defence is what we need. But sometimes we have two sitting in front and it still happens so fek knows Lol

Doing well so far but we've been up against teams who are content to defend deep and launch the ball up to a lone striker.

If Baloguns injury isn't serious, we're going into a league campaign with the best options we've had possibly in my living memory
For e the jury is still well ad truly out on Balogun. I’ve seen enough to suggest that he will have really good days and also bad days (as every player does). I’m still waiting to be convinced that the bad days won’t cost us dearly.

For e the jury is still well ad truly out on Balogun. I’ve seen enough to suggest that he will have really good days and also bad days (as every player does). I’m still waiting to be convinced that the bad days won’t cost us dearly.
You could be correct as one of our regular defenders has cost us dear in the past.7

If I was being ultra negative (which I generally am). It's probably not as good as 3 clean sheets would suggest.

Belogun has made a good start and looks a good player but I don't see him as the enforcer that a lot make him out to be.

Goldson has mistakes in him but has started the season in confident fashion so hopefully that continues.

Helander looks up for it this season as well.

Too early to say on Balogun, he was spun about like a spinning top in the first few minutes against St johnstone because he hesitated to make the tackle. However he has also looked good as well., so we will see way too early to make judgement.

Too early to say on Balogun, he was spun about like a spinning top in the first few minutes against St johnstone because he hesitated to make the tackle. However he has also looked good as well., so we will see way too early to make judgement.
I always wait 6 months before I form an opinion

You just make up shit as you go along? Or deflecting because you made an arse of your response?

Not angry in the slightest here. Nice bottle of red and watching Morse.
I only gave my opinion on you whinging about a defence that has not lost a goal in the opening 3 games. Maybe you understand Morse more than you do football

Yep and we are not at home so his problem of blunders may rear its ugly head again.
Tav is largely excellent in the main at 1vs1 defending & doesn't get beat in the air a lot. Granted he isn’t an AMAZING defender but he is a decent-good one but unfortunately a decent amount of the Rangers support judge him on performances from 3 years ago.

Tav is largely excellent in the main at 1vs1 defending & doesn't get beat in the air a lot. Granted he isn’t an AMAZING defender but he is a decent-good one but unfortunately a decent amount of the Rangers support judge him on performances from 3 years ago.

The modern game has full backs storming forward - greater teams than ours do this constantly

Presumably it's up to centre backs & or others to cover or at least be aware & position themselves to plug any potential gaps as they occur

For some reason when Tav does this many of our support see this as evidence of his dereliction of duty - all the more peculiar when it seems to be tolerated when Borna does it - for example

I won't for a minute claim Tav is without his mistakes, erratic form or that he's some sort of faultless superstar - but some of his worst critics would have us all believe he's next to useless

It’s all relative. In a Scottish context it’s as good as any. In a European context it’s extremely average.

I think you are being ridiculous saying it's extremely average in Europe. Yes we may not be at a certain level such as Bayern leverkusen. But %^*& me it isn't extremely average.

The modern game has full backs storming forward - greater teams than ours do this constantly

Presumably it's up to centre backs & or others to cover or at least be aware & position themselves to plug any potential gaps as they occur

For some reason when Tav does this many of our support see this as evidence of his dereliction of duty - all the more peculiar when it seems to be tolerated when Borna does it - for example

I won't for a minute claim Tav is without his mistakes, erratic form or that he's some sort of faultless superstar - but some of his worst critics would have us all believe he's next to useless
Exactly, I don’t think there is a top team in the world who doesn’t play with fullbacks as attackers. People just have it in for Tav, unfortunately.

I think you are being ridiculous saying it's extremely average in Europe. Yes we may not be at a certain level such as Bayern leverkusen. But %^*& me it isn't extremely average.
What I meant was if you take every defence in Europe we would be in the middle somewhere. Average doesn’t mean poor, but there are a lot better defences than ours out there

In my opinion having kept three clean sheets so far in the league and all of our pre season games is incredibly promising.
Our team looks incredibly hard to break down.
I think Jack and Kamara, who have received a bit of stick on here recently, deserve credit when it comes to pitching in for this tight unit.

Very impressed by Steven Gerrard’s management so far this season. Exciting times ahead.
I’ll let you know how good our defence is when we get properly tested. What I do know is, our right back isn’t a defender.i

You do seem to like a wee exaggeration. Whinging, lol.

You should stick to making your spam rolls.
Actually we use Ham on our rolls with Cheddar Cheese and Lurpak butter on freshly made rolls from a home bakery. Well seen you haven't tasted them.
Maybe you should try them and lay off the Red Wine a bit

Well, two really good saves by the goalkeeper against utter garbage on Wednesday tells me we still have plenty to improve on defensively.

But continuing to have clean sheets is the way to go.

Teams capitalised when our full backs were so high up the park.

The manager has identified this and played Jack and Kamara to offer protection to when full backs are further up the field.

This allows for aribo to push forward aswell.

Same way morelos is dropping deeper to collect the ball pass to aribo/jack/kamara then find hagi/Kent on the run.

It’s the same formation but with a different plan on how to create/stop chances at both ends of the park.

Aribo is definitely playing further forward too.

Way to early to draw conclusions, we have played against a sheep team that was dire, and 2 teams who parked the bus and didn't test us defensively, the good thing is we now have options at the back, as I say to early to judge but the signs are hopeful

I meant in the grand scheme of things. Leverkusen took us apart at Ibrox and most teams in the later stages of the CL would do the same. It's probably as good as we can afford but its not in the same league as the big boys.
Staggering that it isn’t in the same league as Clubs that spend hundreds of millions of pounds on their squads.

Sort of goes without saying for people that don’t insist on talking the team down.

Goals win games, defences win titles. That is the old saying.

Im more than happy with how we are shaping up in the league so far. Still harder tests to come but so will positioning and understanding between them.

Against better teams in Europe - i think from strikers all the way back we are brillant out of possession.

The whole teams works extremely hard and coaching staff deserve credit for that.

In Scotland its a bit different as we have more of the ball and majority of the play.

Staggering that it isn’t in the same league as Clubs that spend hundreds of millions of pounds on their squads.

Sort of goes without saying for people that don’t insist on talking the team down.
I’m not talking the team down, I’m being realistic. The question was how good is our defence, and I gave an honest answer. I said we were as good as anyone domestically but in the bigger picture it was average. I never at any time said anything disparaging about our club so please don’t make up lies

Back