Just how good is tav?

He’s a quality player and does most things well, but I’d still say our best right back the last 20 years was actually a midfielder....

Claudio Reyna.

The Premier league isn't as big of a step up as its made out. Outside of the top 4 there are plenty of bang average players who play consistently in the league.

Im not saying tav is the best in Britain or anything but I honestly thi k he's better than bellerin so he would get into the arsenal team right now.

Im not saying tav would get into the teams of the other players I'm about to mention because they could all go out and spend upwards of 50m on a rb.
Kyle walker - a few years ago he was outstanding. Now I feel he has went backwards, I he only registered 1 assists as an attacking fullback in a dominant man City team which is obviously not good enough from him.

Azpilicueta - great defensively. Nothing special going forward. Completely different player to tav.

I think tav could easily play for a team in the top 10 of the epl and could also push into a few teams in the top 6. All about opinions though

If he was playing in the English Championship he would have already been bought for 10-15 million. Meanwhile we have West Brom trying to bring him in on loan on deadline day :rolleyes:

Athletic and good going forward but still a bit 'iffy' at the back for me. Best in the world? That's just Looney Tunes.

Imo, tav is one of the best right backs in the world and vastly underrated.
Just look at his stats and how he has contributed to most of our play.
Some people will be thinking I’m stupid comparing him to the best in the world but who really is there that is such a vital and influential right back?
He has come on wonders and has got to be one of the best bargain signings of recent times.

If tav was in the PL and was getting that many goals and assists he would be 50m worth.

I love Tav and he is vastly underrated by many but if he was playing in PL he quite simply wouldn’t get that many goals or assists.

His stats are superb for a RB. Top quality player brings so much to the team, freekicks penalties, corners, superb crosser of the ball, attacking runs in pretty much every game. He's irreplaceable in my opinion

Good but not one of the best in the world ffs.

Are you trying to say he wouldnt look out of place playing for Real against Barca or playing for Man city against liverpool?

If you compared Tav with every 1st choice right back for each Premier League team then there is very few I would rather have instead of him.

He’s a very good player.

Totally agree. I don't want to lose him but if we do then of course we will want as much as possible for him. Therefore IMHO we should do what the Tims do and get as many ex-players as possible to talk up Tavs value, as well as SG doing likewise. We seem very reticent in doing this whereas the Tims very quickly put values out there on all their star players.

Hope we keep him for a long time to come, most folks wont appreciate just how good he is and important to us until he is gone. When you consider his goals/assists stats its amazing no one has bid for him, hope it stays that way!

Superb going forward and goals and assists are up there with the best.
At defending, marking, closing down, reading runs... No better than any poor defender.
I hope SG really pushes him to improve on his defensive stuff. But he has improved every season. For me, the jury is still out on his defensive duties.

Thing is, in the EPL, he wouldn’t be getting that many goals and assists.

He’s the one player I wouldn’t want us to lose but let’s get real here. He’d be available for lose change in EPL budgets but hasn’t attracted much interest from anyone beyond average teams.

If you put someone like Kyle Walker into the SPL he’d look like Pele.
Tavernier has better qualities going forward than Kyle Walker ffs. Walker is just another over-hyped product of the English market place.

Best fullback in Scotland with the potential to really take things up a level or two if he was to get the opportunity. A top professional and fitness fanatic as well.

He's in the top three players at the club, maybe even the best but there's no way he is anywhere near one of the best in the world. His assist record is really good but it is only against the likes of Hamilton Accies and Motherwell.

He's in the top three players at the club, maybe even the best but there's no way he is anywhere near one of the best in the world. His assist record is really good but it is only against the likes of Hamilton Accies and Motherwell.

So was Andy Robertson’s assist record while he played in Scotland. Give Tav the opportunity in the EPL and I think he’d flourish. He certainly has the physique and stamina to cope.

Imo, tav is one of the best right backs in the world and vastly underrated.
Just look at his stats and how he has contributed to most of our play.
Some people will be thinking I’m stupid comparing him to the best in the world but who really is there that is such a vital and influential right back?
He has come on wonders and has got to be one of the best bargain signings of recent times.

If tav was in the PL and was getting that many goals and assists he would be 50m worth.
does class in europe aswell he was the best ranked defender in the europa league on the official uefa website

"European football’s governing body has ranked Tavernier higher than stars such as Arsenal’s Nacho Monreal, Pepe of Besiktas and Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso.

In fact, they have made the Englishman their top-ranked defender with 4115 points – a full 327 points head of second-placed Danny da Costa of Frankfurt."

"Alfredo Morelos is the eighth-highest ranked striker according to UEFA.com. The Colombian – on 2850 points – trails the likes of Milan superstar Gonzalo Higuain and first-placed Munas Dabbur, who scored twice against Celtic on Thursday night.

Daniel Candeias is the club’s highest-ranked midfielder – in 43rd place – and behind leader Kai Havertz who plays for Bayer Leverkusen."

I rated Tavernier very early in his Rangers career. I remember being laughed at when I said he was our best right back since Gary Stevens and that was when we were in the second tier. I’m astonished (and delighted) that nobody has come in for him. He is more than capable at EPL level.

I remember when I couldn’t see the point of Craig Moore until he moved from full back to Centre Half. Tav last season really came good and I’ve revised my opinion of him. I still think positionally in defence he can be poor ( I don’t mean getting caught up the park which I know he is encouraged to do) especially in losing his man. Also his deliveries are inconsistent but he does so many that even one in 3 or 4 can still help with his assists.He can give possession away a bit too easily. Just being Devil’s Advocate so dwelling disproportionately on the negatives. I really think now he is one of our best players. Can’t say he’s indispensable but he is a real asset to the club and if he goes we’ll miss those right side attacking runs from deep. Every player has his price though, and his should be at least up there with Tierney’s.

The point is we have all seen the improvement in Tav, year on year he is getting better. It is no coincidence that this is due to him playing with better players.

Now he can never be considered one of the best full backs in Britain due to the league he plays in, he had a good Euro campaign and he needs another one.

I have no doubts though he could perform at virtually any team in England. I look at the right backs for clubs and only really TAA at Liverpool. Would be sure to keep him out the team.

Man City- Walker- id have Tav:
Liverpool-TAA
Tottenham- Trippier(now gone) Tav
Chelsea-Azpalacueta Tav
Arsenal-Bellerin-Tav
Man U - Wan Bisaka -Tav

Then the likes of wolves with Doherty, Leicester had Ricardo.

Tav walks all over them, let’s not play down one of our own.

If he played down in England he would have already had a big money move.

BTW also worth noting that Tav's first touch is ridiculously good.

Good but not one of the best in the world ffs.

Are you trying to say he wouldnt look out of place playing for Real against Barca or playing for Man city against liverpool?

In all honesty I don't think he'd look out of place at Liverpool. Their attacking style would suit him to a tee.

Kyle Walker and Joe Gomez are ahead of him as well.

Gomez is better in the centre than at right back, can't offer what Tav does.

I stand by Tav being better than Walker, Walker is very tactically and positionaly unaware, Pep has been trying to bring a replacement in since last summer because of this. His main assets are his energy and pace, Tav isn't too far behind in that regard and offers more in terms of ability. Put Tav in that City team and I genuinely believe he'd out perform Walker.

An excellent player for us, and probably the best RB in Scotland. OP over eggs his point with the other stuff.

It's refreshing though to see a positive thread on him after the numerous nonsense threads of past season or 2.

Still needs to work on his defensive side of the game and I think his displays marauding forward and assists and goals cloud that. Talk of being one of the best full backs in the world are somewhat premature IMO, but he’s clearly got ability and I think we will see him hoist aloft the League trophy come next May.

kkOCu0t.gif

Good RB who gets caught out defensively now and again, the irony being the whipping boy of FF who is getting flogged to the Turks for buttons (apparently) is the one player who links up with him beautifully and allows Tavernier to do his thing.

Back