just how good was trevor steven?

Was a long way down the list of midfielders we've had.

Nonsense.

During his first spell he was played more centrally by Souness than he'd been used to at Everton and was quite superb, especially that '89/90 season where he pulled the strings from the middle.

This is why Marseille paid what they did.

When he returned Smith reverted him to his previous role on the wing and, injuries aside, I never felt he was as effective.

Cultured player miles ahead of his counterparts in Scotland, even England as his technical ability was first class.

Overshadowed by Gazza, Laudrup and battlers like Ian Ferguson and McCall.

Outstanding player who was never muscled off the ball despite his slight appearance, shame that injuries hampered his second spell with us.

He was easily the best midfielder in Scotland before he left for Marseille. Very silky player in that first spell with us.

I thought just before he went to Marseille he was as good as I'd seen. A cultured, classy player. Watching that clip sorta saddens me as we were spoiled then, and better was yet to come.

Hope it won't be too long before we're walking as tall again.

As others have said, tremendous in his first spell, not so good when he returned all in all a top class player.

I have to admit, I am surprised at some of the not one of the best comments above!
They're either at it or just a bit dim. One of the best players I've personally seen play for us. I've only been watching since mid eighties though.

Trevor was a superb player.
Him and Gary Stevens had a great partnership down our right flank.
Rogan must still be having nightmares!!

I remember him as a very good player who could see a pass and then deliver it.

As others have said maybe a bit quiet.

Definately one of my favourite players of the era. The semi-final performance against Aberdeen was amazing. Seem to recall Souness saying it was the most complete performance of any midfielder he'd ever seen.

Night we sold Steven was the same night we bought McCall if I remember rightly?

If Trevor Steven was playing right now he would be far and away Englands best midfielder.

He was Rolls Royce. When he left for the French cheating bastards, they were the PSG of the day, they could have taken almost anyone.

Great player. In my view we could have taken anyone from OM for the price we took him back for.

There were better options in my opinion

We lost/moved-on a lot of good players that summer. Steven, Woods, Walters, Munro - all mainstays during the souness era. Walter did well in replacing them without too much disruption.

Had an outstanding season before he went to Marseille. Still a great player when he returned, but never quite as good.

Great player .
Wasn't fully convinced when we signed him, but changed my mind after seeing him in the Spurs pre season friendly, and thereafter when he went from strength to strength.

Back