Just look back at Rangers. I heard you say.

wee bud's pit boots

Forty eight years ago my old man, or rather my old man's workplace was on strike.

My old man was the eldest of six, three of the others were brothers and two sisters. But they're all married (but one) and dispersed by then.

So, 1972, he is on strike, whether he liked it or not. Come the dawn after the victory over Bayern Munich in the semi final, all roads for the troops lead to Barca.

Now my old man's youngest brother had not a bad job at that point, single and free with a few quid in the bank he put it to my old man getting into May 72; 'I'll take you, no problem and don't even think about it.' My old man said no.

As I got older and we talked about this particular event, my old man's view on why he knocked back the offer still rings.

My old man knocked back that once in a lifetime offer simply thus;

'I wasn't bringing in a penny to your mother so there was no way I was going abroad to watch the Rangers.'

That is the calibre of the man who drummed the Rangers into me.

Enjoy the memories tonight old man.

Forty eight years ago my old man, or rather my old man's workplace was on strike.

My old man was the eldest of six, three of the others were brothers and two sisters. But they're all married (but one) and dispersed by then.

So, 1972, he is on strike, whether he liked it or not. Come the dawn after the victory over Bayern Munich in the semi final, all roads for the troops lead to Barca.

Now my old man's youngest brother had not a bad job at that point, single and free with a few quid in the bank he put it to my old man getting into May 72; 'I'll take you, no problem and don't even think about it.' My old man said no.

As I got older and we talked about this particular event, my old man's view on why he knocked back the offer still rings.

'I wasn't bringing in a penny to your mother so there was no way I was going abroad to watch the Rangers.'

Respect,my friend,they were a different generation,my father and brother both went to Barcelona,sadly both passed on now,and missed greatly,a wee tear in my eye reading that,WATP

Great post, respect.

I was kinda opposite to the OPs da (respect to him btw),in the respect that,my work would'nt give me the time off to to Barcelona,so i packed the job in. My wee maw was'nt happy but knew the Rangers had to be followed.

Listen mate, my das mate told his wife he was away to the fitba, she thought it was at Ibrox, he never came hame for 5 days, thats a real man

Your ideal of a real man differs from me.

But after lockdown, I will look forward to introducing you to my uncle.

I suppose you'll escape relatively scot free. He must be pushing his seventies by now.

Your trolling isn't working, BTW.

Your ideal of a real man differs from me.

But after lockdown, I will look forward to introducing you to my uncle.

I suppose you'll escape relatively scot free. He must be pushing his seventies by now.

Your trolling isn't working, BTW.
A real man dosen't threaten people with uncles

Lovely post! A man of integrity!

Correct choice. Funnily enough my brother in law took a "cheap trip" to Europe to watch his team after one of the boys pulled out. The very same day his wife was at her dads door asking for a loan as they were up to their eye balls. I dont need to tell you which team he follows.

Good post mate.

I can relate to your dad.I started a new job in April 2008 and was in the middle of training.If I had went to the Europa cup final I would have had to stop the training and give up on the job.It absolutely broke my heart not going to Manchester.All my friends were there and had a ball.I watched it on tv.:(:mad:

Having met your old man a few times I can only echo the words of many on this thread. A fine gentleman of good stock.

As for his boys well the jury's still out. ;):))

A proper man sir lovely story

Really nice story Bud. Respect mate.

Back