Juventus call for earlier kick-offs for Asian market

Diego Forlan

Official Ticketer
Wonder how long it will be for the "elite" to leave their leagues and be financed by the middle east and play each other every week on a cruise ship.

Italian champions Juventus have called on Serie A to schedule more early kick-offs to help the club grow in Asia.
Juve are below last season's Premier League top six clubs in revenue and see China as a major area for growth.
The Serie A season begins on Saturday, and every game in the first two weeks starts at midnight or later in Beijing.
"We have to find the right balance between domestic and global audiences," Juventus chief revenue officer Giorgio Ricci told BBC Sport.
"It is not just about the broadcasting times, it is also about the rights distribution and who is showing the games.
"In that sense, the difference between the Premier League and Serie A is huge.
"This is a very old story and one of the more frequent reasons for fights with the league."
Italy's top clubs have long debated with the league about the need for more games to be played at earlier times to maximise their chances of exposure in China and South East Asia.
The bigger clubs do not believe the Italian system, which revolves around evening matches, helps them 'sell their brands' globally.
And while there is an acceptance that viewing habits are changing, Juventus are frustrated at the present situation, which they feel tilts the commercial market hugely in favour of Premier League clubs.
All of the Italian top-flight matches on the opening two weekends of the campaign kick off at either 17:00 BST or 19:45.
Speaking in March, Serie A president Gaetano Micciche said the possibility of playing a Serie A match in China within the next three years had been discussed, but it was unlikely to happen in that timescale.
Deloitte's Football Money League, published in January, placed Juventus 11th in the table of the world's 20 richest clubs.
Ricci said that an aggressive commercial strategy, including becoming the first Italian club to open an office in Asia in Hong Kong, is aimed at increasing revenues as they pursue winning the Champions League for the first time since 1996.
Juve have also bought high-profile players, signing Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo for £99.2m from Real Madrid in 2018 and £67.5m Netherlands defender Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax this summer.
Although they have won the Italian title on 35 occasions - including for the past eight seasons - they have lost five Champions League finals in the past 23 years.
Several Premier League clubs have offices in Hong Kong, including Manchester United and Manchester City, and Federico Palomba, head of Juventus' Asia-Pacific operation, says it is a region "with huge scope for growth".
Since Ronaldo joined last year, Juventus have carried out studies that showed their global fanbase has risen by 16% and their 'digital community', their combined followers on various social media platforms including Weibo, has risen by 59% to 81 million.
"In the 1990s, Serie A was very popular in China. Now it is coming back again," added Palomba.

Wonder how long it will be for the "elite" to leave their leagues and be financed by the middle east and play each other every week on a cruise ship.
I'd let them go, but on the provisio they form a breakaway league that isn't recognised.by FIFA. Let's see the if the non Europeans will be prepared to turn their backs on their countries to keep these teams happy

Understand their concern in not wanting to fall behind the over-hyped EPL, but this is everything that's wrong with modern football. Talking about growing brands and how many followers you have on social media.

And I understand there are complex commercial factors to be taken into account when making a transfer but to be talking about signing Ronaldo in terms if how its helped grow influence in markets and not on the pitch annoys me.

For most of the "big" clubs the football has become secondary

I'd let them go, but on the provisio they form a breakaway league that isn't recognised.by FIFA. Let's see the if the non Europeans will be prepared to turn their backs on their countries to keep these teams happy
Been shouting for this for a long time, let them go but neither the teams nor the players can come back and the players never play for their country again. Let the rest of us get on with football in a more even field

I honestly could not care as a Rangers season ticket holder and going to get rid of sky and bt in 2 months ill just go to the pub to watch Rangers away games now.

I honestly could not care as a Rangers season ticket holder and going to get rid of sky and bt in 2 months ill just go to the pub to watch Rangers away games now.

Yip I agree. No point in me moaning about the super rich clubs destroying the game if I keep giving money to the media companies that are funding them.

No dough to Sky, no dough to BT and be satisfied that I ain't contributing fcuk all to the greedfest that is spoiling football across the world.

Football is going to end up with 20 Franchisee teams around the world, playing in a global league with kick-off times that fit in with TV schedules.

These 20 Super-Clubs will be owned by Billionaires who will change city if there’s a better tie-up deal or Sponsorship to be had.

Man Utd can become Beijing Utd or Singapore Utd overnight

Football is going to end up with 20 Franchisee teams around the world, playing in a global league with kick-off times that fit in with TV schedules.

These 20 Super-Clubs will be owned by Billionaires who will change city if there’s a better tie-up deal or Sponsorship to be had.

Man Utd can become Beijing Utd or Singapore Utd overnight
Just like the NFL/NBA etc.

I wish they'd just get the fuck on with it & leave football to the rest of us.

^ This will 100% happen. Will play games in America, Japan, China... teams like Juventus, Barca, PSG, Chelsea etc who have no soul will go to their Champions League League. I for one am looking forward to it. Leave us with the European cup and a Cup Winners Cup. Please and thank you.

A couple of years ago the Milan Derby kicked off at around 12:00 local time on a Saturday and I remember that both curvas protested with coreographies against it (at that time both clubs were Chinese owned) . As always, money will talk.

The first two sets of Italian fixtures kick off in the evening as it's in the mid 30's at the moment. Can't see their brand getting sold with players walking about the pitch mid afternoon trying to avoid heatstroke!
Juve di merda!

Sums up whats wrong with the so called big teams they would rather cater for some chinese guy or some arab and his camel than their own supporters going to the game ,i wish they would all just f*** off and leave the rest of us to get on with it .let them start their own so called super league people would get bored with it

Sums up whats wrong with the so called big teams they would rather cater for some chinese guy or some arab and his camel than their own supporters going to the game ,i wish they would all just f*** off and leave the rest of us to get on with it .let them start their own so called super league people would get bored with it
I think part of this for a team like Juventus, isn’t that they actually want to do it, they might feel they have to!
They’ll believe with the popularity Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona already have out there, they’ll need to make sure they get a bit of that pie.

I always remember watching Football Italia and k.o. was about 1pm on a Sunday. Get back to that and they will be bang on prime time Chinese tv!

Juventus have become a proper pain in the arse.. changing there badge, there strip and now they want to change kick off times, all so they can make money in China..

Last edited:
If Juventus and any other elite clubs that want to go and make a super league then feel free to go. They are hell bent on making themselves richer and leaving the rest of the footballing world behind. I say good, go and leave the rest of us to proper football.

The bubble will burst, you can already see it with the CL every year (with the exception of the drama last year). It is the same teams playing each other for the most part. It is boring.

A good mate of mine was an Arsenal fan all his life and has now given up on them. I have spoke in length about this to him coz I could not under stand it, but he says he feels, its just not his club anymore. I totally get this, Rangers mean everything to me but there is a limit to which I would follow them. They must look after us the way we have looked after them. Juventus and the Asian market can go and phuck themselves. We are a proper team with a proper support, and I hope it stays that way

If Juventus and any other elite clubs that want to go and make a super league then feel free to go. They are hell bent on making themselves richer and leaving the rest of the footballing world behind. I say good, go and leave the rest of us to proper football.

The bubble will burst, you can already see it with the CL every year (with the exception of the drama last year). It is the same teams playing each other for the most part. It is boring.
One day ,the players will turn round after they score and will be met with silence coz there is no crowd

Reactions: TQ3
People have joked about this being the next step for the EPL for a while now, really wouldn't surprise me.

Football isn't for the people who actually pay for a season ticket anymore, it's for folk sitting on their couch paying for an expensive sports subscription on their telly.

They are obviously desperate for someone to pay for all these players. They must have a bigger wage bill than Microsoft.

I despise Juventus.
Agreed. Used to love mid 90s Juve. Classic, iconic strip and a brilliant team (although underachieved)

Bu the changing of the badge and the rebuild of the Stadio Delle Alpi to the J Stadium to help with it's 'branding' in the far east really put me off. Now this, %^*& them. Just wish Milan would get their act together and pump them

Make sure it's in the Caribbean and not in the Panama canal.

It'll never get finished.

Time to cut the soul less money grabbing clubs loose to embark on their money making schemes. Being the Harlem Globetrotters of football will become tiresome but will allow the real clubs compete in a more level playing field.

Clubs belong to their communities and not bureaucrats, big business and manufactured, pretend supporters who live a million miles away.

Back