Juventus players agree 4 month pay freeze

Its a good gesture indeed and I would expect other big clubs will do the same. I would like to think that all of these players are not short of a few bob so it’s should have little effect on their day to day lives. Some players from the lower down leagues would struggle though as they will be up to their necks in debt paying for their lavish lifestyles.

Lets see what happens in Scotland.

Probably managed to bump all their bills back, tho fair play it’s a decent gesture at this time,

I would rather see Juventus and other clubs donate some the money they would have payed out into the Italian health system or their respective, to help struggling families during the crisis that would be better than just we are skint and can’t afford to pay players the salaries they are on. Though I do know they will do some charitable stuff collectively it’s all about cost cutting it seems maybe rightly so...

Over the years the clubs have been suooorted by the people that is why they have the money In the first place

Well done to them. They can afford it, can't see many Scottish players agreeing to it if it was suggested

The first of many teams hopefully, if anyone can take a pay freeze i would imagine it would be elite footballers.

They will still get their money will they not? Its simply a wage deferral I think. Probably easily done when you get paid at the levels their first team squad do but not so much for the likes of Andy Halliday and Matt Polster and a few others at Rangers. A fantastic gesture that will help their club through a difficult spell nevertheless.

I'd like to think that our players are discussing options amongst themselves as well as the club pursuing it. Some might be happy to take a wage deferral, others a wage cut - but the preferred solution is one that comes from the players. Time for them to take to that oft heard off WhatsApp group of their's and come up with a proposal or two to take to the Club. The last thing we need is internal friction.

Fair play to Juve for this.
This also show how much even the elite teams live hand to mouth.
Surely if there is one lesson for the football world to learn from this crisis is that the current disgusting level of salaries/transfer fees players receive has to be seriously looked at.

Our Euro run and the generous directors will see us through this, but we will almost certainly need our players to show some realism here.

This is only the start, every club is going to have to cut its cloth accordingly... Another reason the majority of teams will want the seasons over with!

Diego Simeone is apparently ready to take a 30% pay cut at Atletico.

poor guy will only be left with £2,310,000 per month to pay the bills.. beans on toast for him.

As per title, Juve players and Manager have agreed not to be paid at all from March to June... saving them almost 90m euros.

I know many will say they can afford it but Fair play to the Juve squad for that.

I hope our squad will step up and do the right thing too when they are asked as I have no doubt it will be needed.
Does that mean they are simply deferring payment, but will get their full annual salary by the end of the year, or are they giving up 25%

They are paid to play for the club, if they are not (through no fault of their own) then it is only correct they are not paid. Bottom line is they can afford to go without wages for that length of time the ordinary guy in the street cannot.

The issue you have in places like Scotland with players accepting a reduction in wages is that you've got players earning 5k a week living like millionaires up to their eyes in debt. These players need that weekly income to cover their outgoings.

I'd imagine now that most of the big gun in Europe are doing this, it's only a matter of time before the rest join in.

The issue you have in places like Scotland with players accepting a reduction in wages is that you've got players earning 5k a week living like millionaires up to their eyes in debt. These players need that weekly income to cover their outgoings.
I agree there should be a cut off, Naishame took a 50% pay cut be he’s already loaded and is on a good wage at hearts. So his reduction might leave him with 5k gross for a few months.
Lower end of the scale won’t be so great!

Back