Kai Johansen

bloo1872

A wee thread for older bears, my own Da has told me about this many times. Please feel free to amend the memory given by an auld bear.

We were underdogs in the first game and took to the reply. The Rangers no expecting to win.

Rangers win the replay because of Kai's goal, the bears walk from Hampden to St Enoch Square. my auld boy says this is his best memory as a bear. Bedlam from an unexpected victory right into the toon, seeing the Rangers on St Enoch hotel balcony in front of the bears holding up the cup.

How'd you auld bears remember it?

A wee thread for older bears, my own Da has told me about this many times. Please feel free to amend the memory given by an auld bear.

We were underdogs in the first game and took to the reply. The Rangers no expecting to win.

Rangers win the replay because of Kai's goal, the bears walk from Hampden to St Enoch Square. my auld boy says this is his best memory as a bear. Bedlam from an unexpected victory right into the toon, seeing the Rangers on St Enoch hotel balcony in front of the bears holding up the cup.

Was at the game, and yes we were the underdogs that night. Had school next day so can’t remember if they went back to the hotel

First game was a cracker. Them going into the game were the all-singing, all-dancing team of the moment. Rangers were only there as cannon fodder.
It was a fantastic game. Two titans, head-to-head. The first foul was not until about 30 minute mark, We knew then that we could beat Them. We didn’t.

For the second game we thought that we had blown it. We’d had our chance. And then there was Kai!

We were underdogs in the first game and took to the replay. The Rangers no expecting to win.

Yes I was there and that basically sums it up but also had school the next day so had to get the bus back right after the game but there were Gers supporters everywhere.

I can tell you I attended Langside College for catering, made an Apple Pie. Worked at my part time job, and got too the game after the start. Kai scores the box with the pie went up, I’ll leave the rest! Jimmy Millar my AL TIME HERO, MAN OF THE MATCH, great night.

kai hit it from just outside the box from our right back position at the rangers end i think it was a low shot to the far corner i was right behind it some goal a wee side note coming back from a cup game in fife on the train kai wullie henderson and i think ronnie mc kinnon were all playing cards wee wullie chased us as we were looking through the window watching them he must have been getting beat kai was wearing glasses he didnt need them on the park we were only about 15 at the time good memories thanks for the post

An amazing man who became a close family friend.

Would always tell me Rangers stories when I was younger and only 12-13 at time would just give me 50 quid out nowhere.

Gave me some rangers memorabilia as well and a signed Ibrox painting of the era he played in.

As I got older when he still had his cracking pad in kilwinning as well as owning property in Glasgow would always get paid well to help out just as I left school and gave me the keys to his house when he was away. Absolute belter of a swimming pool lol

Sadly missed and was a joy to hear about his time with us a Ranger through and through

I remember it well. One of my all time favourite wins and my man of the match was Jimmy Millar who absolutely ran his socks off.

When i was born my dad wanted to call me Kai in tribute but my mum wouldn't let him apparently.

Great memories of the game. Jimmy millar played sweeper that night-solid as a rock. It was also the last time we celebrated a cup win on the balcony of the st Enoch hotel.

The first game was quite dull. The Celtic fans were expecting a walkover after the 5-1 victory at New Year and the League Cup Final win before that. Big 'Yogi' Hughes had given Kai a roasting in the LC Final but Kai learned that you could not let Hughes get the ball under control and run at him so the first tackle set the pattern and Kai was on him quickly. Hughes never got a kick. I remember Billy Ritchie making a Gordon Banks save from a Joe McBride header.
In the replay Celtic huffed and puffed but never really threatened. When the teams came out for the second half a guy ran onto the pitch wearing an Orange Sash and hugged Jimmy Millar. The roar from our end was phenomenal and I think it actually intimidated the Celtic players and galvanised our players. My memory of the goal was a huge sway in the crowd as the ball went behind George McLean right in front of goal, then another sway as Willie Henderson's follow up shot hit Murdoch on the goal line. Everyone was still trying to stand up straight when Kai burst onto the rebound and smashed it home. The ground lit up like a fireball as all the photographers camera bulb went off when the ball hit the net.
Afterwards, when walking along Argyle Street towards Glasgow Cross all you could hear from was down at the Clydeside/Stockwell Street was a loud chant of 'Johansen,Johansen.' Kai and Peter Lovenkrands. Great Danes who gave me two of the best moments of my life.

The first game was quite dull. The Celtic fans were expecting a walkover after the 5-1 victory at New Year and the League Cup Final win before that. Big 'Yogi' Hughes had given Kai a roasting in the LC Final but Kai learned that you could not let Hughes get the ball under control and run at him so the first tackle set the pattern and Kai was on him quickly. Hughes never got a kick. I remember Billy Ritchie making a Gordon Banks save from a Joe McBride header.
In the replay Celtic huffed and puffed but never really threatened. When the teams came out for the second half a guy ran onto the pitch wearing an Orange Sash and hugged Jimmy Millar. The roar from our end was phenomenal and I think it actually intimidated the Celtic players and galvanised our players. My memory of the goal was a huge sway in the crowd as the ball went behind George McLean right in front of goal, then another sway as Willie Henderson's follow up shot hit Murdoch on the goal line. Everyone was still trying to stand up straight when Kai burst onto the rebound and smashed it home. The ground lit up like a fireball as all the photographers camera bulb went off when the ball hit the net.
Afterwards, when walking along Argyle Street towards Glasgow Cross all you could hear from was down at the Clydeside/Stockwell Street was a loud chant of 'Johansen,Johansen.' Kai and Peter Lovenkrands. Great Danes who gave me two of the best moments of my life.
Great summary mate. Enjoyed reading that. I was just a bairn in my pram when this game happened. Once I got a bit older,my dad made sure I knew all about it though!

I went to the first game and was disappointed we drew, so the replay I went to the Majestic (Magic Stick), dancing that night and found out Rangers had won when I came out................didn't get a lumber

I can tell you I attended Langside College for catering, made an Apple Pie. Worked at my part time job, and got too the game after the start. Kai scores the box with the pie went up, I’ll leave the rest! Jimmy Millar my AL TIME HERO, MAN OF THE MATCH, great night.

Playing out of position too!

Playing out of position too!
Jimmy Millar started of I believe as a midfielder, and on that night, not only was he in command but he intimidated the Scum. Right enough I think would have scared the **** out of me never mind any Scum player, to me my Idol the Greatest.

I was the same as most of the rest of the posters. School the next day but still went to the game. Couldn't really believe it when Kai scored as there seemed to be both teams in the six yard box and some of the crowd as well.

Remember it well, and that great goal from Kai.
Arrived back to the hoose beaming like a beacon, and hugged my wife, and threw my wee boy up in the air.And shouted we beat them.Those were the days.

I ran round the track at the 1966 cup final. Part of a school relay team competition. It was entertainment before the start of the game My bit was 880 yards. All I remember was school mates in the crowd shouting get it up yi when I passed. It was the way we supported each other then. I only got the second half of the replay. I had to sing in a choir that night but got the bus there for half time. We got in for nothing. I had a dinner suit and a bow tie on in the Rangers end. I was 15

I was a wee boy in the house. My mum had the TV on and I remember a "Scotsport Newsflash" broadcast that Rangers were winning. Even as a boy I knew this was something special. Celtic were red hot favourite favourites.

The 1966 Scottish Cup is the first Trophy that I can remember Rangers winning. I was 7 years old and wasn’t allowed to go to OF matches. I can still remember chasing after my Dad’s car when they all left for the Saturday game.

The replay, on the Wed Night, was kept quiet from me and I didn’t know we had won until the Thursday morning.

I was at that game with my Dad and afterwords at St Enoch Square. We were in the south stand (my Dad was friends with a number of former Rangers Players and we had complimentary tickets from one of them, I can’t remember who) but I still remember the roar when the ball hit the back of the net; Ronnie Simpson had absolutely no chance of saving it.

The atmosphere in St Enoch square was incredible and when the team came on to the balcony the cheering and singing was a good as I’ve ever heard. I think it was the joy (or relief) of coming out on top when the Rangers were total underdogs. Wonderful memories.

I also attended that game, on a school night !!

A few years later I can remember having a few pints after games in Kai's pub - those were the days, he didn't even have a TV in his pub !!!

Kai Johansen was deservedly the main man for his great goal. Billy Ritchie must have run him close. Can’t remember a game when I looked at my watch so much to see how long there was to go.

Millar played right half was easily best on ground.

It's Kai's goal but the way wee bud shimmies and gives a couple of yahoos the hip in the run leading up to the cross across the goal deserves mention too.

I was considered to be too young to be taken to either game but I do remember celebrating the result at school the following day. What a great goal to win any Cup Final.

One thing that also sticks in my mind when Kai was playing for us was seeing a red white and blue flag (similarly to the French flag) draped over the terracing wall near the corner flag at the old Derry at a number of games with the letters KAI written on the flag.

Strange how such small events can stick in the memory. I only wish I could have had the same recall when trying to remember my PIN number when paying for fuel last week.

the thing i remember most about that night was our end going mental when we scored .then getting back to gourock on the train ,rammies at every stop ,then being rescued by plod in gourock station ,saved me from a serious doing .what a night .

I've said on here many times through the years that if a time machine is ever invented and I get the choice to go back to a Rangers game, the night Kai got the winner at Hampden will be my choice. Unforgettable and a game I will always carry in my heart until I leave this planet. With regard to the gathering at St Enoch Square; although my young brother and I came home via the Cathcart Road and Crown Street, our older brother came back home via Polmadie Road and the old Glasgow Green pitches. He told us that when he was walking through the Glasgow Green he could hear the chants of, "Johansen, Johansen" coming from St Enoch Square which was a mile away. Younger Bears will never know what that night meant to those Bears who witnessed it.

I've said on here many times through the years that if a time machine is ever invented and I get the choice to go back to a Rangers game, the night Kai got the winner at Hampden will be my choice. Unforgettable and a game I will always carry in my heart until I leave this planet. With regard to the gathering at St Enoch Square; although my young brother and I came home via the Cathcart Road and Crown Street, our older brother came back home via Polmadie Road and the old Glasgow Green pitches. He told us that when he was walking through the Glasgow Green he could hear the chants of, "Johansen, Johansen" coming from St Enoch Square which was a mile away. Younger Bears will never know what that night meant to those Bears who witnessed it.
I enjoyed your post jimbear but I hope that younger bears (and us who have lived through successful years) will be able to know what it is like to win silverware again and savour the moment.

I enjoyed your post jimbear but I hope that younger bears (and us who have lived through successful years) will be able to know what it is like to win silverware again and savour the moment.

Meik - I really hope so old son. I was at the 5-1 game at Parkhead in the January when they gubbed us. Nobody gave us a hope in the final, three months later. I was at the first game (0-0 ) and our draw came as a surprise to the Scottish media who had completely written us off. The memory of the replay and Kai's goal still brings a tear to my eye. We had to wait over 4 years before our next trophy, but it came. Like you, I'll savour the next one when Stevie G delivers it. WATP

Billy Ritchie won that cup for us with his display in the first game when they were all over us and Billy made save after save to keep them out.
My first cup final with out the old yins, just my pals.

I remember Rodney Marsh attacked Kai in a friendly at loftus road circa 1967-68-69.

Marsh had to be dragged off him before being ushered up the tunnel.

Meik - I really hope so old son. I was at the 5-1 game at Parkhead in the January when they gubbed us. Nobody gave us a hope in the final, three months later. I was at the first game (0-0 ) and our draw came as a surprise to the Scottish media who had completely written us off. The memory of the replay and Kai's goal still brings a tear to my eye. We had to wait over 4 years before our next trophy, but it came. Like you, I'll savour the next one when Stevie G delivers it. WATP
jimbear I understand the emotion. As I said previously I was considered to be too young for the 1966 Final and replay. Like a lot of us on here, I came from generations of Bluenoses who between 1966-1970 were desperate for silverware. The League Cup of 1970 was “my” first trophy. The four years from Kai’s screamer to big Derek’s header seemed like an age. Fast forward to today and it is almost double that timescale. A big effort from everyone at Ibrox in the coming season is needed and is demanded by us, the supporters. We wait to see who will step up to be the new King Kai or Derek Johnstone.

Remember it well, as others have said went back to the St Enoch hotel. There was one wee incident at the hotel when some Tim’s arrived from the direction of the subway(doubt they actually used the subway) they were chased off quickly.

aku0cw.jpg

rbi5j6.jpg

2uojcra.jpg

2d0cgop.jpg

9zlrq1.jpg

2up722u.jpg

eu0d2f.jpg

Kai Johansen you say? It's a sectarian name and stands for Kill All Irishmen. We know this as some croppy retard made an article about it in The Irish News:

http://www.irishnews.com/opinion/le...or-sons-of-kai-name-lacks-credibility-121792/

LAST Monday morning in a city centre coffee shop I nearly spat my coffee half way across the floor upon reading Ken Boyle's defence and explanation of why the loyalist band he belongs to is called The Sons of Kai.

He asks us to believe that the band is named after a virtually unknown ex player of Glasgow Rangers called Kai Johansen. This lacks any credibility whatsoever because Johansen was a fairly mediocre player who spent a few years at Rangers and furthermore, if you asked the Rangers' support, young and old, the vast majority would be totally unaware of who this guy is. In the eyes of Rangers fans he is anything but a Gascoigne, Laudrup, Gough, Baxter or Greig.

The fact is Kai has long been a sectarian loyalist slogan representing Kill All Irish for years, certainly before Johansen ever came to Ibrox.

The sad thing is that these fuckwits are allowed access to a keyboard.

Back