Kai Johansen's Bar, Govan Road, pictured in March 1977

That's the one I remember. All the barmen were elderly and wore aprons (no not that kind) and were very professional. No matter how busy it was as soon as you walked in the door they would say "what can I get you sir?". Not many pubs like that today, more's the pity.

Another angle.
AWlsi0z.png

Used to watch our football team when l was a kid,
His two sons played for us.
Played for the school team with Mikel and Kim.
Kai would sometimes come and watch.

Met Mikel a few months ago in Singapore. Had nipped into a pub for a quick one while the missus did some shopping, and an English lad, noticing my Rangers top, asked if I knew who Kai Johansen was. When I said that I did, he told me that he was meeting his son, Mikel, in the pub in ten minutes and would send him over for a chat. Right enough, Mikel came over, introduced himself and blethered for a wee while about his dad and Rangers. Nice guy, and seemed really pleased to have some stranger in a Singapore pub raise a glass to his old man!

Last edited:
I went to my first away game,to falkirk on the Kai loyal bus in 1968 I think it was. An old double decker with the open door at the back. I was 13 years old and remember them not charging for kids. Got a lift in as well. Brockville was mobbed and we were going great at the time. I'm sure the pub was on Stag Street and was formerly known as the Stag Bar. Three Ell Lane was next to it and I think there was a pub called the Three Ell bar as well. Got well looked after by the members that day,me and my mate. Salt of the earth were the Govan people.

Last edited:
Im from Greenock and Erik Sorensen used to have a bar here as well,my granda was a regular and he used to say it was a cracking wee pub

Im from Greenock and Erik Sorensen used to have a bar here as well,my granda was a regular and he used to say it was a cracking wee pub
The Viking beside Cappieilow Remember the wall across from it with "FREE DUBCEK",the Czeckoslovakian leader who was imprisoned by Russia in 1968 painted on it.. Still see it very faintly last time I passed there 2 or 3 years ago

The Viking beside Cappieilow Remember the wall across from it with "FREE DUBCEK",the Czeckoslovakian leader who was imprisoned by Russia in 1968 painted on it.. Still see it very faintly last time I passed there 2 or 3 years ago
Before my time mate lol :)

Part of you memory is fine, the Free Dubcek grafitti was there from 1968 until well after 2000. The wall has now been replaced. As for Erik Sorensens pub, it wasn't near Cappielow, it was on Arthur Street down near the fire station and was called Sorensens.

Part of you memory is fine, the Free Dubcek grafitti was there from 1968 until well after 2000. The wall has now been replaced. As for Erik Sorensens pub, it wasn't near Cappielow, it was on Arthur Street down near the fire station and was called Sorensens.
Cheers,I always thought the Viking was Sorensens pub. Maybe it was the name of the pub
When did the wall get knocked down? I'm sure it was there 2 or 3 years ago when I passed on my way to Gourock

Cheers,I always thought the Viking was Sorensens pub. Maybe it was the name of the pub
When did the wall get knocked down? I'm sure it was there 2 or 3 years ago when I passed on my way to Gourock
Think that part of wall was replaced when they revamped that area, put the traffic lights into the marina, etc, probably within the last 10 years.

Was Sorensons pub near Scott’s engine works? Or was that another Scandinavian?

Back