Kai Kennedy, a Replacement for Ryan Kent?

okbear

Given the comments from Dave King yesterday that its a must for some summer sales of players, do we think that Kennedy is the player to replace Kent?

I know it’s a different level that he’s playing just now, but with a really good season under his belt, a few goals and the confidence that brings, will he be ready or do we wait one more season?

I see he got good reviews for his performance last night, and for the season in general. Hasn’t he turned down an extension and pretty much playing out the last year of his deal?

I see he got good reviews for his performance last night, and for the season in general. Hasn’t he turned down an extension and pretty much playing out the last year of his deal?

Someone was saying last night that they had heard from the family that he wants to stay.

Someone was saying last night that they had heard from the family that he wants to stay.
Fingers crossed, the opportunity to learn under a coaching team with the quality of ours doesn’t come around often. He could go far under Gerrard and co.

That’s good news if he wants to stay.

A 3 year deal, extend it when he make the first team, progress his talent, play in Europe and win trophies could all set this lad up for an amazing career.

He is clearly talented but it will depend entirely on his attitude and willingness to listen to those around him and learn.

He played well last night but you can see he has a lot to learn, especially with his decision making but the ability is there.

I would extend the loan until the end of the season, if he signs a new deal maybe he can start to feature for us after that.

The coaching staff were very patient with RK, and it's paid off. It depends how highly KK is rated at auchenhowie how much time he'll get

Watched the ICT game last night on BBC and Kennedy was decent vs QOS but I’d still say he’s a good bit away from getting into our squad, let alone be the replacement for Ryan Kent.

The boy MacGregor for ICT looked a decent prospect too. Only 18 but playing in centre mid, he moved well and looked dangerous.

He is nowhere near ready to replace Kent, if we sell players then we buy replacements and develop them and the cycle keeps going.
Hmm, surely the ideal model would be we develop our youth players and they play in the first team and are sold. Obviously we want to buy too (Kamara, Morelos, etc).

No idea about Kennedy and suspect you may be right that he's not ready, just slightly disagreed with "if we sell we have to buy"

Watched the ICT game last night on BBC and Kennedy was decent vs QOS but I’d still say he’s a good bit away from getting into our squad, let alone be the replacement for Ryan Kent.

The boy MacGregor for ICT looked a decent prospect too. Only 18 but playing in centre mid, he moved well and looked dangerous.
Kennedy was subbed as he faded from the game , MacGregor got MOTM.

Kent won’t be going anywhere this summer. There’s not much profit to be made on him compared to Morelos, Barisic, Aribo and Kamara.

Imo KK is a long way from a first team spot.Looked ok in patches last night but certainly didn't blow me away.
Definitely talented but he doesn't want to get too far ahead of himself at this stage.

When I first saw KK play I thought he looked more of a davis replacement as he was everywhere dictating the play.

Last night he did seem to operate wide left but not sure that’s his best position. I will trust our coaching staff to know where he should play if he signs up longer term.

With the general feel good factor, and the obvious player development happening regarding coaching. I think its a shrewd move on his part, to stay and push for a first team place

Hmm, surely the ideal model would be we develop our youth players and they play in the first team and are sold. Obviously we want to buy too (Kamara, Morelos, etc).

No idea about Kennedy and suspect you may be right that he's not ready, just slightly disagreed with "if we sell we have to buy"
Of course that would be the ideal model but history tells us we hardly ever produce young players so to start producing them every season is completely unrealistic.

We’d find it easier replacing goldson , kamara, Barasic , Tav or Alfredo than Ryan Kent . IMO

Ryan Kent is loving being the first name on the team sheet , he won’t be looking at going anywhere & joining the rotation . Once more , just my opinion.

I think Kai Kennedy could enhance the squad next season & Ciaran Dickson. Sooner or never we need to give them a chance .

Of course that would be the ideal model but history tells us we hardly ever produce young players so to start producing them every season is completely unrealistic.
History also told us we don't qualify for the groups in Europe three years in a row, things change though.
Can't not try just because our past has been a bit patchy.

Given the comments from Dave King yesterday that its a must for some summer sales of players, do we think that Kennedy is the player to replace Kent?

I know it’s a different level that he’s playing just now, but with a really good season under his belt, a few goals and the confidence that brings, will he be ready or do we wait one more season?

He's a decent prospect and had a very good first 45 minutes last night, but he's a long way away from replacing Ryan Kent at the moment.

He's got a lot of development ahead of him yet imo, but he definitely has a chance of making it.

History also told us we don't qualify for the groups in Europe three years in a row, things change though.
Can't not try just because our past has been a bit patchy.
Obviously if they are good enough they will get a chance, if they are not good enough then we will buy players, develop them and sell them on like most clubs end up doing.

Nothing to do with not trying, we would all love another Barry Ferguson to come through and its about time we produced a young player on that level.

Kennedy was subbed as he faded from the game , MacGregor got MOTM.
I wouldn't say he faded. He consistently had 2 or 3 players each time he was on the ball. He had a very good game.

The boy MacGregor did well also and took his goal well. The finish from Kai for his goal was decent also.

He's 2 or 3 years away from that. I could see him as a back up, impact player next season but he is nowhere near ready to be first choice week in and week out for us.

I wouldn't say he faded. He consistently had 2 or 3 players each time he was on the ball. He had a very good game.

The boy MacGregor did well also and took his goal well. The finish from Kai for his goal was decent also.
He’s being spoken of as a Kent replacement on here , that being the case he would need to cope with players doubling up , and better quality players at that.

Different types of players mate, from what I’ve seen anyway. Kent can make runs in behind whereas Kennedy is more of a ball to feet player.

Hopefully gets to extend his loan at ICT. Looks happy & getting plenty game time. If he gets his contact sorted then a loan next season to the SPL.

Kelly got a season at Ayr & is now getting game with Ross County. Seems like it could be similar for Kai.

If we win the league with CL football in the offing next season i am pretty sure Ryan will want to stay.

The lad is only young and has plenty of time to move somewhere for big bucks if he so wishes.

I really dont know why we would even consider wanting to let guys go who are shoe ins for a starting place pretty much every game.

Kent is the best player Ive seen in a Rangers shirt since the Laudrup/gazza years. We shouldnt even be discussing his replacement.

We have to trust the management and coaching staff when it comes to youth players good enough for the first team... There's good prospects every year and very very few Fergusons or Gilmours come along... and if we find one of those we have a BIG fight on our hands to keep them.. irrespective if they are promised first team.. That's the way it is now.

I don't see a lot wrong with what King said about selling. However this would only be essential if we don't get CL group stages if we win the league.

Most likely would be Alfie, win the league, then leave with my best wishes.

All King said was that due to the over investment to get us where we are, players sales are inevitable as it forms the business model required to be self sufficient.

I dont see this leading to an Exodus of players. We want amd need a successful team. Selling all your players isnt going to do that. I could see us losing someone this summer HOWEVER if we were to win the league and have potential to play champions league, who would want to leave?

I think the comments were mostly aimed for Alfie, Jones, Stewart and the like.

If Kent goes we should be looking at Hagi to step up his game(ie more consistent), Kennedy should be looking at taking the place of a barker, Jones Squad type player before getting to level of Kent.

Back