Kai Kennedy, Nathan Patterson & Lewis Mayo.

CR5

For years people have been complaining about our young players never getting a real chance, this should be the season that these three play a real part over the course of the season.

Kennedy is arguably better suited to play as the left sided #10 than Kent is in terms of attributes, he of course is nowhere near Kent in terms of overall quality yet but he has more natural talent than Jones or Barker do. He is the best prospect at the club and it's a fairly open secret that we will lose him if he doesn't get a run in the first team soon.

Patterson is being touted as a future Scotland regular, he has made one senior appearance for Rangers and did absolutely fine, he didn't deserve to lose his place the following game and fits into our system better than anyone we have had in the past decade excluding Tavernier.

With Katic out for the season, Mayo coupled with Bassey should be sufficient cover for that spot. There is no point signing a designated squad player so I don't really think there's an argument against this one.

Does anyone disagree? I don't think you can make the argument that this season is too important. Celtic threw Frimpong in away to Aberdeen and he became a regular for them under comparable pressure to win that there is at Rangers

they haven't had a chance because they've been dreadful

who left that didn't get a chance and was successful?

Our record/trust in our youth players is abysmal but come on Patterson must be a better option than Polster ? Kennedy over JJ/Barker is no brainer.

If we see any one of them play more than 10 games I will be surprised

Any more than 5 and I’d be surprised.

It comes across as Gerrard not rating the homegrown youth, or just not thinking they’re ready as yet.

Flanagan being selected over Patterson at home to St Mirren last year was a bit of a kick in the teeth to the prospects of any of them getting a shot under him.

It’s not a criticism, it’s just how some managers are.

Kai should be on the bench in every home game v bottom 6 teams.

Patterson should be on our bench all games.

Mayo is my only concern because I have concerns about that Helander might be the type who always picks up niggling injuries and I don't have 100% belief in Edmundson. A loan to an SPL side till January and maybe bring in a loan for CB?

“For years”....... How many youth players who weren’t given a real chance have gone on to be top players elsewhere and proven to be good enough to play in a rangers first team?

Kai should be on the bench in every home game v bottom 6 teams.

Patterson should be on our bench all games.

Mayo is my only concern because I have concerns about that Helander might be the type who always picks up niggling injuries and I don't have 100% belief in Edmundson. A loan to an SPL side till January and maybe bring in a loan for CB?
If we feel the need to bring in another CB because of the Katic injury, it should be a left footed player capable of competing with Helander.

Shoehorning Katic and Edmundson in on their weak side isn't ideal at all. If you want to make the same argument against Mayo then I understand but it will be a waste unless it's someone worth it.

Our record/trust in our youth players is abysmal but come on Patterson must be a better option than Polster ? Kennedy over JJ/Barker is no brainer.

I agree. The amount of times Barker came on and done literally next to nothing when if you had flung Kennedy on and gave him the opportunities i reckon he would of produced much more.

For years people have been complaining about our young players never getting a real chance, this should be the season that these three play a real part over the course of the season.

Kennedy is arguably better suited to play as the left sided #10 than Kent is in terms of attributes, he of course is nowhere near Kent in terms of overall quality yet but he has more natural talent than Jones or Barker do. He is the best prospect at the club and it's a fairly open secret that we will lose him if he doesn't get a run in the first team soon.

Patterson is being touted as a future Scotland regular, he has made one senior appearance for Rangers and did absolutely fine, he didn't deserve to lose his place the following game and fits into our system better than anyone we have had in the past decade excluding Tavernier.

With Katic out for the season, Mayo coupled with Bassey should be sufficient cover for that spot. There is no point signing a designated squad player so I don't really think there's an argument against this one.

Does anyone disagree? I don't think you can make the argument that this season is too important. Celtic threw Frimpong in away to Aberdeen and he became a regular for them under comparable pressure to win that there is at Rangers
i disagree I don’t think any of them are at the moment good enough to play regularly I don’t think any of the three are at the same level Pingpom is at We are trying to stop 10iar we need proven quality btw what is this rubbish about Bassey being a centre back ??? He is an attacking left back he also has no experience of first team football and none of us has even seen him play so let’s just be patient with him and see him in his proper position not shoe horned into a make shift CB

If we feel the need to bring in another CB because of the Katic injury, it should be a left footed player capable of competing with Helander.

Shoehorning Katic and Edmundson in on their weak side isn't ideal at all. If you want to make the same argument against Mayo then I understand but it will be a waste unless it's someone worth it.

Bassey can play left side of centre half. However, i’m not sure how good he would be there but i just know he can play there.

Ferguson and Taylor were about 14/15 when they left, no?
Yep, released because they weren't big enough.

We were playing 3rd division football the following season, they could have absolutely started contributing in no time at all. Decided to go with Stevie Smith, Ian Black and Nicky Law.

Kennedy will end up playing as a number 8 centre mid, he’s wasted out on the wing. And the games where’s he’s played in the middle he has been better when deeper

If what you're saying is true, then that smacks of self entitlement from Kennedy mate.

He's not long turned 18 and he's making demands that if he isn't playing in the 1st team he's off?

Gerrard took Patterson, Kennedy, Mebube and Maxwell to the Dubai training camp and only Patterson looked like a 1st team player.

Kennedy is a terrific prospect, but he'll need to prove himself better than Kent and Hagi before he's starting regularly this season.

Yep, released because they weren't big enough.

We were playing 3rd division football the following season, they could have absolutely started contributing in no time at all. Decided to go with Stevie Smith, Ian Black and Nicky Law.
You fail to acknowledge the plethora of youth players who played between 2012-2016 who ultimately weren't good enough.

If what you're saying is true, then that smacks of self entitlement from Kennedy mate.

He's not long turned 18 and he's making demands that if he isn't playing in the 1st team he's off?

Gerrard took Patterson, Kennedy, Mebube and Maxwell to the Dubai training camp and only Patterson looked like a 1st team player.

Kennedy is a terrific prospect, but he'll need to prove himself better than Kent and Hagi before he's starting regularly this season.
I don't think it's entitlement when Barker was performing the way he was, Jones ruining his own season and Kent was being run into the ground.

He's a top talent for his age group and should be making at least 10-15 appearances at this stage of his career. Glen Middleton got that.

You fail to acknowledge the plethora of youth players who played between 2012-2016 who ultimately weren't good enough.
They're obviously not all going to be good enough.

If you want another example, Barrie McKay was loaned out and we played Steven Smith at left mid. Say what you want about McKay as a player but he looked like Ronaldo in that league.

Kevin Kyle & Jon Daly over Kane Hemmings who tore up the SPL the season after he left.

All should feature in some capacity (10 games or so in dead rubbers, if we have such a thing). I assume they will feature a bit more this season with Mayo possibly going on loan to a SPL team.

Billy Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson, Greg Taylor and Liam Kelly.

Billy Gilmour left because he and his family were being set up for life. We tried our best to keep him and circumstances at Chelsea gave him an opportunity he otherwise probably still wouldnt have got and grabbed it with both hands.

When exactly did Greg Taylor and Lewis Ferguson leave? Long before they had any look in towards the first team squad. They have came on and developed once leaving Rangers.

Liam Kelly at the point in time needed first team games and still does. He isnt better than McGregor and at the time Foderingham. They believe McCrorie to be of a higher calibre.

On a year we have to stop 9.75 in a row, I would be surprised if Gerrard puts these guys in regularly (on merit), for then to be slaughtered by the fans if they drop points. We have bigger fish to fry this year, and these players could really benefit from SPFL loans for first team football, removing them from some of the red hot pressure.

There's a balance we have to get right with the better prospects. At their age and ability, no amount of youth or reserve football will develop them further.

Of the 3 mentioned, only Mayo has had that chance to play first team football somewhere on a regular basis, and that was cut short. 10 or so appearances for us from the bench with the odd start may not be enough of what these boys need at this stage of their careers.

They're obviously not all going to be good enough.

If you want another example, Barrie McKay was loaned out and we played Steven Smith at left mid. Say what you want about McKay as a player but he looked like Ronaldo in that league.

Kevin Kyle & Jon Daly over Kane Hemmings who tore up the SPL the season after he left.
Fielding a team of 11 youth players isn't feasible, Little, Aird, Crawford, Mcleod, Hutton. just to name a few all featured frequently along with numerous others. Hemmings made 10+ appearances also im sure and failed to impress, whilst Daly scored 30 goals and was a key role in our journey. I'm not suggesting we don't play them , it's about identifying the right opportunity. Gerrard has given chances to Mccrorie + Middleton consistently, also given debuts to Dapo, kelly, Bradley, Patterson & kennedy. If they can make a difference he will give them a chance.

On a year we have to stop 9.75 in a row, I would be surprised if Gerrard puts these guys in regularly (on merit), for then to be slaughtered by the fans if they drop points. We have bigger fish to fry this year, and these players could really benefit from SPFL loans for first team football, removing them from some of the red hot pressure.
During our last streak of winning titles, Danny Wilson, Jamie Ness, Greg Wylde and Rhys McCabe all featured in important games and did well. Celtic's current team is full of academy graduates.

There is an argument to be made that our lack of faith in youth means our budget is spread thinner than it has to be and brings the overall quality of the squad down

I’d like to see these lads get a fair shot but there is no chance they will get a chance this season. I also don’t think Gerrard rates our youths.

I don't think it's entitlement when Barker was performing the way he was, Jones ruining his own season and Kent was being run into the ground.

He's a top talent for his age group and should be making at least 10-15 appearances at this stage of his career. Glen Middleton got that.

As you've said, he's a top talent in his age group, but this isn't age group football.

If he's as good as you've suggested he seems to think he is he'll get his starts.

I've watched him a good bit up at Auchenhowie in development games and he can be very good in some games and anonymous for long spells in others.

Hopefully he can add some consistency to his game this season.

As you've said, he's a top talent in his age group, but this isn't age group football.

If he's as good as you've suggested he seems to think he is he'll get his starts.

I've watched him a good bit up at Auchenhowie in development games and he can be very good in some games and anonymous for long spells in others.

Hopefully he can add some consistency to his game this season.
100%

In fairness, imagine you’re 17/18 and ripping it up at youth level with clubs across Europe after you, and you’re getting absolutely no sniff of first team action whilst the likes of Barker is being picked for every squad.

I’m not saying he’s right btw but I can totally understand why that would annoy a young player.

During our last streak of winning titles, Danny Wilson, Jamie Ness, Greg Wylde and Rhys McCabe all featured in important games and did well. Celtic's current team is full of academy graduates.

There is an argument to be made that our lack of faith in youth means our budget is spread thinner than it has to be and brings the overall quality of the squad down

Celtic's team is full of academy graduates?

Really?

McGregor and Forrest are the only ones I can name.

In fairness, imagine you’re 17/18 and ripping it up at youth level with clubs across Europe after you, and you’re getting absolutely no sniff of first team action whilst the likes of Barker is being picked for every squad.

Barker is a strange one, I agree, but more often than not, he wasn't even making the bench mate.

Barker is a strange one, I agree, but more often than not, he wasn't even making the bench mate.
Something a lot of our fans fail to realise, he played 10 times and started what 3?. Two of those being against Porto for tactical reasons which worked. Seems to be a myth he was our go to guy or something.

Ojo is another. Almost every game last season, either Barker or Ojo were getting some game time. Both were utterly diabolical and you could feel the negative energy around the stadium every time they got ready to come on.

There does need to be a pathway for the Academy players to get their chance in the first team. As already said, if this is not the case then the money spent on the youth is wasted.

Celtic's team is full of academy graduates?

Really?

McGregor and Forrest are the only ones I can name.
Johnston and a young CB whose name is lost on me featured for spells last season, Dembele got sporadic chances and before he left, Tierney was playing every week when fit enough.

Meanwhile, Middleton has a decent first season, gets sent on loan and is replaced by two players who were unable to match his performance levels.

Ojo is another. Almost every game last season, either Barker or Ojo were getting some game time. Both were utterly diabolical and you could feel the negative energy around the stadium every time they got ready to come on.

Ojo is currently a way superior player to Kennedy mate.

He is quicker, stronger and remember he's 3 years older.

It's not a fair comparison at the moment.

Kennedy has far more development in him than Ojo.

Ojo is currently a way superior player to Kennedy mate.

He is quicker, stronger and remember he's 3 years older.

It's not a fair comparison at the moment.

Kennedy has far more development in him than Ojo.
He's quicker and stronger than Mason Greenwood too. It's not all that matters.

Kennedy easily has more natural ability than Ojo

Back