Kai Kennedy why not?

They need to come into a team that are playing well. 10/15 mins here and there when we are winning. Throw any youngster in just now and you’ll ruin them.
Charlie Adam and John Fleck, to name a couple, received some amount of abuse when they were thrown into the first team after a few poor performances.

You only have to look at what’s happening now. All our players under 25 are still learning, developing and won’t be consistent. Yet you have a thread on here saying Aribo has to shape up or ship out.

Most of our fans don’t understand that players are still developing in their early 20’s and don’t peak til their late 20’s.
Agree with what your saying about the fans coming down on them, that's why I posted that sometimes we as fans need to have a good look at ourselves.

Would love to see rangers being able to bring through young players, something we've never really been good at. I know it's a big ask, but if we could get anywhere near the system ajax have, I'd be delighted.

It will start to become a big issue soon. We are producing the talent, and the manager isn’t playing his part if progressing them. There is no pathway.

Even Murty had more balls about him when it came to this. He played McCrorie and Barjonas together (when they had barely ever played) away to Hibs up against McGinn and McGeouch (who were very decent together) and we won 2-1.

Trust them.
Good point. We have to do this at some point.

Aye lets throw in 18 year old attackers when we are 10 points behind. Great idea...
What about his age? The boy played very well against an outstanding Atletico team and then was head and shoulders above everyone at Inverness. This boy is most certainly good enough to get first team football with us.

You‘re puting Ramos, the 4 times champions league winner, World Cup winner, EUROS winner in the same category as Ryan fuckin Porteous?!?

To suggest Ramos is as dirty as Porteous tells me you’ve never watched Spanish football (or Scottish defenders) in your life
Ramos literally has one of the worst disciplinary records ever

There’s a thread on here of a 16 year old Messi playing in the Spanish lower league getting the shit kicked out him.
The idea that it’s only in Scotland where some players are hammer throwers is a load of pish

They need to come into a team that are playing well. 10/15 mins here and there when we are winning. Throw any youngster in just now and you’ll ruin them.
Charlie Adam and John Fleck, to name a couple, received some amount of abuse when they were thrown into the first team after a few poor performances.

You only have to look at what’s happening now. All our players under 25 are still learning, developing and won’t be consistent. Yet you have a thread on here saying Aribo has to shape up or ship out.

Most of our fans don’t understand that players are still developing in their early 20’s and don’t peak til their late 20’s.
This is pish.

When the team are flying we’re told we can’t put a youngster in because it’ll upset the rhythm
Can’t play them in a team stuttering because it’ll ruin them

Said it before, the excuses some of our fans make not to play our own is genuinely the biggest load a shite ever

We had so called experts on here after the yiung boys got beat my madrid saying this ones crap that ones no good, his developments too slow.. 1 bad game for the 1st team and theyd get slaughtered.. i remember the abuse some kids got that came through i remember a certain oz getting it tight when he broke through to the point when he was sold people were like, he will never make it. Our support is the worst for backing young players

Middleton is the only one there you could say he gave a chance to, and he was bought from Norwich so its not really the same.

Dapo, McPake, Kennedy & Patterson?

Patterson - 90 minutes v Stranraer
McPake - 23 minutes v St Josephs
Kennedy - 9 minutes v Stranraer
Mebude - 27 minutes v Killie in the last game of the 2018/19 season

That does not demonstrates he is willing to give them a chance. You'd struggle to find a side worldwide that gives less of a chance to youths. Seriously.
It is actually embarrassing, especially when these are some of the best young players in the Scottish Leagues.

If Patterson was at Celtic, he'd probably have played 10-20 times by now. Instead he plays well in a friendly and a cup game and his reward for playing well to be dropped behind Flannigan and Polster.

Kennedy was the best rangers player on the park against Inverness and probably won't see a Rangers first team squad untill the last game of the season as a treat.

The leagues over, I'd rather we took the 3/4 best young players and blood them into the first team squad and gave them some much needed first team experience. I'm not talking starting just taking the places of guys like Flannigan, Polster, Ojo, Barker, Jones, etc. What's the point in continuing to use these players when they probably won't be here next season. Will Gerrard do this? Most likely not. For a manager from a youth coaching background, his record with giving youth a chance has been extremely poor. Even when giving youth a chance he throws them out after 1/2 bad/average performances, whereas certain players are allowed to continually underperform.

Too much pressure for a kid of that age. Look what it did for John Fleck’s development.

I don't think the pressure playing for Rangers had anything to do with it.

Fleck was just constantly played out of position under Walter and we never seen the best of him whist he was here.

This is pish.

When the team are flying we’re told we can’t put a youngster in because it’ll upset the rhythm

Said it before, the excuses some of our fans make not to play our own is genuinely the biggest load a shite ever

So when would you bring in a youngster?
You reckon settling him into the team when we are winning games comfortably and giving him 10/15 mins in these games would upset the rhythm of a winning team?

This is pish.

Ajax and continually going for league titles and are playing 18/19 years olds even when there second in the league playing catch up. Dortmund had two nineteen year olds and an eighteen year old involved against PSG last night. Yet we can play a youngster against a Hamilton or St johnstone at home as it's to risky some would say

Agree with what your saying about the fans coming down on them, that's why I posted that sometimes we as fans need to have a good look at ourselves.

Would love to see rangers being able to bring through young players, something we've never really been good at. I know it's a big ask, but if we could get anywhere near the system ajax have, I'd be delighted.

Dutch football has more competition though. Ajax went a few years without winning anything but feyenoord didn’t go on to win everything in they years so it’s a bit easier for the fans to take.

I think we need to push for the colts team and for it to be under 23’s with 2 over age players. The kids done well against caley thistle and showed they can compete at that level so we should be getting them to do it on a weekly basis

Kennedy is a playmaker who demands the ball everywhere and seems to lead his young team. I hope when he breaks through he continues that way and doesn't stay on the fringes of the game. Remember the impact Ferguson made because he demanded the ball and took command as a kid.

Kennedy is a playmaker who demands the ball everywhere and seems to lead his young team. I hope when he breaks through he continues that way and doesn't stay on the fringes of the game. Remember the impact Ferguson made because he demanded the ball and took command as a kid.
Frimpong for the mob across road is 5ft3 about 9 stone what's the issue,other than fear from our fans really struggle to see the point of a wonderful academy if we don't use it , because some other teams will take boys and we will be fucked basically.

Wrong. His game would go completely if he were to unnaturally bulk up. I genuinely see this is where McPake is now struggling.

Don’t agree,go look at the difference in size with Billy Gilmour from when he left us and 1 year later at Chelsea,the gym was exactly what he needed

Don’t agree,go look at the difference in size with Billy Gilmour from when he left us and 1 year later at Chelsea,the gym was exactly what he needed
Gilmour was 15 when he left us. Thats just him growing up, he isn’t exactly a unit now.

And as an aside, if Gilmour was still at us, does anyone think he would of been as involved with the first team as he is at Chelsea? I don’t, and it highlights how big an issue we have.

Gilmour was 15 when he left us. Thats just him growing up, he isn’t exactly a unit now.

And as an aside, if Gilmour was still at us, does anyone think he would of been as involved with the first team as he is at Chelsea? I don’t, and it highlights how big an issue we have.
100% agree gilmour would be with Kennedy and co

So when would you bring in a youngster?
You reckon settling him into the team when we are winning games comfortably and giving him 10/15 mins in these games would upset the rhythm of a winning team?
You bring them in when they’re ready
Kennedy is clearly ready to start getting involved as is Patterson
If they were at any other Scottish club they’d be getting chances in the first team.

The idea we can’t play them because the first team players have us 10 points behind is one of the stupidest reasons I’ve ever heard for not giving youth a chance

Dutch football has more competition though. Ajax went a few years without winning anything but feyenoord didn’t go on to win everything in they years so it’s a bit easier for the fans to take.

I think we need to push for the colts team and for it to be under 23’s with 2 over age players. The kids done well against caley thistle and showed they can compete at that level so we should be getting them to do it on a weekly basis

That’d maybe be a half decent point if the Tims weren’t consistently blooding youth and still winning everything

Blooding youth doesn’t stop any team from winning stuff

I would have hoped, given the difficult financial position Rangers found themselves over he past decade that precluded the signing of players of genuine quality, that a greater investment would have been made in developing a really top class youth system. By which I mean, using state-of-the-art research in developing a detailed national scouting network, hiring talented coaches dedicated to this particular aspect of player development, and finding a way to promote the most outstanding young prospects through the ranks and eventually into the first team squad.

Of course the % of youths who make it all the way to become major contributors to Rangers success will be small. Nevertheless, if such a program were put in place and was producing, say, 2-3 first team players every other season, that would indeed be a good thing.

That’d maybe be a half decent point if the Tims weren’t consistently blooding youth and still winning everything

Blooding youth doesn’t stop any team from winning stuff

The tims are winning. What youth are they blooding at the moment? Mikey Johnstone? He doesn’t play every week and when he was thrown in against us he’s always looked like a wee boy

The tims are winning. What youth are they blooding at the moment? Mikey Johnstone? He doesn’t play every week and when he was thrown in against us he’s always looked like a wee boy
He set up the goal at Ibrox
He’s played more first team games at Ibrox more than our youth players

They played Frimpong in a cup final. He made a mistake and could’ve lost them a trophy to their biggest rivals. Did they bomb him out because he wasn’t good enough? No, they threw him back in because they see his potential and know he needs to play for that potential to be realised

If Patterson and Kennedy played for them they’d already be getting games and probably already have winners medals. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole ‘we need to win so cant play youth’ patter

You bring them in when they’re ready
Kennedy is clearly ready to start getting involved as is Patterson
If they were at any other Scottish club they’d be getting chances in the first team.

The idea we can’t play them because the first team players have us 10 points behind is one of the stupidest reasons I’ve ever heard for not giving youth a chance

Can I ask you how many time’s you have seen Kennedy or Patterson?
Patterson is involved in training with the first team. I’m sure when he’s ready Gerrard will play him

He set up the goal at Ibrox
He’s played more first team games at Ibrox more than our youth players

They played Frimpong in a cup final. He made a mistake and could’ve lost them a trophy to their biggest rivals. Did they bomb him out because he wasn’t good enough? No, they threw him back in because they see his potential and know he needs to play for that potential to be realised

If Patterson and Kennedy played for them they’d already be getting games and probably already have winners medals. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole ‘we need to win so cant play youth’ patter

They signed frimpong they didn’t blood him as such. Would you be happy with mikey Johnstone’s performance against us if he was in a rangers jersey playing against Celtic

Patterson is involved in training with the first team. I’m sure when he’s ready Gerrard will play him
Seen them lots and would say Kennedy ,Dickson, Paterson all deserve a shot at it and if we don't we will lose them all these boys are to good to play academy football any longer and they see there peers play first team everywhere else so will grasp the opportunity if it arrises and tbh why wouldn't they ,they need see the pathway at Ranger's as they do everywhere else.

They signed frimpong they didn’t blood him as such. Would you be happy with mikey Johnstone’s performance against us if he was in a rangers jersey playing against Celtic
Signed him and put him in as an 18 year old who’s easily the smallest player in this league

Happy? I’d be buzzing if we had a youth player who was playing at Parkhead and set up a goal. Johnston was by all accounts their best player this season up until his injury

I take it you think Johnston is pish going by that question, if so doesn’t that highlight the problem even more then? That they’re giving inferior talent chances to prove themselves in the first team?
It’s about opportunity. Young players will have bad games. Just because they make a mistake doesn’t mean they’re not ready, I’d rather give youngsters who could end up being starts a chance than dross who’ll never be good enough and should never have been signed in the first place

Lost count of the amount
Gerrard also rates Barker and Ojo so let’s not act like a manager has never been wrong

Nonsense, Gilmour is head and shoulders better than any of our current youth players. Gilmour would have made umpteen appearances for us if he stayed.

Nonsense, Gilmour is head and shoulders better than any of our current youth players. Gilmour would have made umpteen appearances for us if he stayed.
Disagree we have a few of the same quality maybe not the confidence ,not far away that's for sure ,how many times you seen Billy play and the youths of now,because IL guess not alot, because there's been alot hysteria around Billy who's a great player don't get me wrong people just forget how good the youths coming through are and at all age groups.
We all think oh he's in the Chelsea squad he would have played with us by now but the fact is probably wouldn't have because it would be fear from us again.usual

Reactions: MSF
one thing annoying me about this thread is "better option than barker" who hasn't been seen in months

mcpake struggled whenever i seen him play at dundee (albeit a couple of times) , doesn't scream walking into a rangers squad, players look promising at youth level but then struggle to make the jump weve seen it countless times, then these bunch of 19/20 year olds are replaced by the next batch till one breaks through. I genuinely assumed barjonas would be off in the summer but it appears he's been given a chance to show his worth, hes now 20 (new contract and promoted to first team). Never going to have a full team of academy players, keep the ones who have a chance and get fees for the rest (dallas, rudden and atakayi for example). Realistically i think robby mccrorie and patterson will be the next ones to make the jump. A couple of graduates every couple of years is a good return

Disagree we have a few of the same quality maybe not the confidence ,not far away that's for sure ,how many times you seen Billy play and the youths of now,because IL guess not alot, because there's been alot hysteria around Billy who's a great player don't get me wrong people just forget how good the youths coming through are and at all age groups.
We all think oh he's in the Chelsea squad he would have played with us by now but the fact is probably wouldn't have because it would be fear from us again.usual

Again utter nonsense, too many moaning faces on here that want to have a go at the club for the sake of it. They need to give it a rest cause it causes more negativity around the club. Who needs enemies

Again utter nonsense, too many moaning faces on here that want to have a go at the club for the sake of it. They need to give it a rest cause it causes more negativity around the club. Who needs enemies
Don't know if you can read or what,I'm saying we have great youth players at all age groups so how's that negative ,and you never answered many times you seen Billy or youths playing a bet never.

Reactions: MSF
Don't know if you can read or what,I'm saying we have great youth players at all age groups so how's that negative ,and you never answered many times you seen Billy or youths playing a bet never.

Haha saw plenty of youth games on Rtv to make an informed judgement on Gilmour and the rest, so apology accepted.

As for the comment highlighted, grow up mate.

Haha saw plenty of youth games on Rtv to make an informed judgement on Gilmour and the rest, so apology accepted.

Where are they? I can only see some highlights of selected games. Point me to the section with lots of footage of full matches please.

Where are they? I can only see some highlights of selected games. Point me to the section with lots of footage of full matches please.
[/QUOTE

You're Mr Rangers, shouldn't think with your enhanced knowledge should be a bother. Thanks

Lost count of the amount
Gerrard also rates Barker and Ojo so let’s not act like a manager has never been wrong

Barker and ojo aren’t anywhere playing at the moment.
I don’t think mikey Johnstone is pish, I think he has a lot to learn and this showed in the games he played against us.

So from the team the past 2 games who would you drop for Kennedy?

I like Kapi Kennedy, I also like mebude but they aren’t ready. They need a colts team and up til under 23’s to progress. Whether you accept it or not we won’t win anything with Kennedy, Dickson or Patterson having bad games every now and then and this is something our support won’t tolerate

Seen them lots and would say Kennedy ,Dickson, Paterson all deserve a shot at it and if we don't we will lose them all these boys are to good to play academy football any longer and they see there peers play first team everywhere else so will grasp the opportunity if it arrises and tbh why wouldn't they ,they need see the pathway at Ranger's as they do everywhere else.

The pathway is blocked by the fans desire for success and the lack of development opportunities between the ages of 20 and 24. The fans have a lot to answer for when it comes to the hard time they give the youths. In fact the same people moaning on here about youngsters will be the same ones moaning about katic, Aribo etc who are also youngsters

Gilmour wouldn’t have made any appearances. Who would we leave out Ryan Jack?

Barker and ojo aren’t anywhere playing at the moment.
I don’t think mikey Johnstone is pish, I think he has a lot to learn and this showed in the games he played against us.

So from the team the past 2 games who would you drop for Kennedy?

I like Kapi Kennedy, I also like mebude but they aren’t ready. They need a colts team and up til under 23’s to progress. Whether you accept it or not we won’t win anything with Kennedy, Dickson or Patterson having bad games every now and then and this is something our support won’t tolerate
We aren’t winning anything without out them

I’ll ask again, is there any instance where playing youngsters has stopped a club being successful?

Now that’s a lie chief I have had Rtv that long I can’t remember and never seen much of Gilmour or any youth games on Rtv to make any kind of judgment it’s was mostly first team stuff

We aren’t winning anything without out them

I’ll ask again, is there any instance where playing youngsters has stopped a club being successful?

Yes hearts

Back