Kai Kennedy why not?

The boys will be seeing players they beat regularly, getting games at other clubs, even Celtic. That must make them frustrated. We seem to play against 18-year-olds week in week out, so why can't our young lads get a game. Rather see a youngster on the bench than some of the current squad players. at least we don't know they will be rubbish before they come on. and it might break the mood at Ibrox and ease the pressure on the players

Do people actually think this is the right time and environment to blood youngsters into the team ? unless they are absolutely exceptional then it's certainly not the right time with the toxic atmosphere at Ibrox currently.

Watched the ICT game and the one thing that stood out for me was the Kennedy wasn't afraid to try a difficult pass that might not come off but might split a defence.
Too many of the first team are taking the safe option at the moment.

similar frame and size to messi

loaning him out to a team that doesn't play in our style and more than likely commit to hoofball will not aid his development or toughen him up.

I think he's good enough to see game time, i also think he'll get better the more he plays with the seniors. He'll have impressed immensely with the colts.

He’s just not big enough, ability wise he’s more than ready, smash the gym from ow and through pre season and o can see him getting his chance next season

He’s just not big enough, ability wise he’s more than ready, smash the gym from ow and through pre season and o can see him getting his chance next season
Wrong. His game would go completely if he were to unnaturally bulk up. I genuinely see this is where McPake is now struggling.

The first team couldnt beat Hearts.

Some of our best young talent might just be better than some of them.

But no one is ever going to know
I get your point amd agree to a certain extent but i dont feel the time right is correct.
Maybe a spell within the squad and on bench is doable

This kind of attitude holds a lot of young talent back and should be scrapped to a large extent imo
Its the attitude that has been holding scottish football back for decades now. However while we have teams like ilmarnock and aberdeen who have no intention of playing football and using brute force with the protection of the refs it will be a struggle for us to introduce a player like kennedy as he would just get bullied imo.

I must admit I have never seen the lad in the flesh, but memory takes me back to a time in the early sixties, and a certain lad of sixteen years of age, his name Willie Henderson, he played in a Rangers team with Jim Baxter and other great Rangers players, he was built like a brick shithouse, was wee Willie, so if he has the talent then his age does not enter into the story.

Aye....remember tough wee Henderson. Also Wille Johnston was about same size.

Ferguson was 20 when he broke through.

Kennedy is 17.
He was 19. Billy Gilmour made his Chelsea debut at 16. Lets stop pretending 17 is too young to play top level football, especially in Scotland.

And might I add Fergie was playing reserves from 16 against men, and standing out.

I'm most impressed with his bravery in taking the ball anywhere. He and Dickson were the organisers against Madrid which was good to see. He also wasn't a winger as such he was all over, dropping deep and making play. He looks like a 10 to me.

I'll disclaim that i'm not against Kai starting or coming into the squad more - in fact I'd be very much for that.

But in answer to the "Why not?" question, i'd say that a pretty valid and large reason for why not is us, the fans.

We turn on our own in the matter of days. All it takes is one poor performance for it to start and that boy, who is still very young and wet around the ears as a man, irrespective of the football ability he has at his feet, will have thousands of fans on his back. Whether it is at the match or on social media. Whether it's on twitter or in here.

Perhaps Gerrard et al are very aware of that risk. They know that right now it's strong mentalities that are required because of where we are as a club and the situation we find ourselves involved in with Celtics bid for 9iar.

For anyone that thinks the league is over; you're wrong. Watching the Miller open goal interview remined me of the time we were 4 or 5 points behind Celtic at the split and we won that. It can happen. We're not playing well, 100% agreed - but all it takes is for something to click and we can go on a run of games. We still have to tough games against them, but take them in isolation we can win both.

So for those saying the league is done, we may as well blood youngsters - I think that's a little premature and I don't think we as fans have the patience to help a young boy through that phase of his career, or our phase as a club.

That all said - I do think he probably has more balls than Ojo and Barker.

The strongest argument against is danger to the player. A mismatch in weight can make football a very dangerous game. I would love to see him given cameos more often though when we have a cushioned lead. He can pick as pass better than the whole first team bar Hagi probably.

He should be, that mob play their young players with their team but apparently we can’t. A far better option than Ojo, Barker and Jones. Nothing gets the crowd going than a homegrown bear coming on

home grown players get the same abuse the rest get sadly

He's literally played him already.
Against Stranraer. So here my take he played the young lad Paterson but dropped him v St Mirren and we saw what happened at Tynecastle. Now hands up at the time I thought SG was right although I’d have stuck with the youngster v St Mirren. Now given Paterson plays similarly to Tav would a ‘braver’ manager not have stuck with him as it gave us more in an attacking sense? I’m no coach so just a thought.

It will start to become a big issue soon. We are producing the talent, and the manager isn’t playing his part if progressing them. There is no pathway.

Even Murty had more balls about him when it came to this. He played McCrorie and Barjonas together (when they had barely ever played) away to Hibs up against McGinn and McGeouch (who were very decent together) and we won 2-1.

Trust them.

Can you imagine Dick Advocaat took that narrow minded viewpoint? Barry Ferguson would probably have ended up at Hibs or the likes.
walter selling him to motherwell for 100k was very close. I do think barry has deluded us into what to expect from young players, i seriously doubt we will see a young player of barry's quality breaking through again. Barry also had to bide his time till he was 20 before he got a sniff of the first team (just to people saying we should throw in kids). I have no sides in this argument, gerrard played middleton 30 times last season, mccrorie a fair bit, he's given chances to dapo, mcpake kennedy and patterson. Clearly demonstrating he is prepared to give youth a chance

It will start to become a big issue soon. We are producing the talent, and the manager isn’t playing his part if progressing them. There is no pathway.

Even Murty had more balls about him when it came to this. He played McCrorie and Barjonas together (when they had barely ever played) away to Hibs up against McGinn and McGeouch (who were very decent together) and we won 2-1.

Trust them.
I see your point but they got an absolute battering that day and barjo in particular showed he wasn't ready at 18, windass and alfie dug us out big time. sidenote barker tormented us when he came on

Would love to see a young player come through any player,Players get to the stage they need loaned out theh get loaned out and we never see then in a Rangers shirt again.

I don't think anyone is saying let's get Kennedy, Paterson,dickson,mebude into the 1st team they will be our saviours. But let's be honest when we have Jones,barker and ojo on the bench no way all 3 are coming on. So why not have a kid on the bench and should we be 3nil up give them 20 mins

Reactions: MSF
walter selling him to motherwell for 100k was very close. I do think barry has deluded us into what to expect from young players, i seriously doubt we will see a young player of barry's quality breaking through again. Barry also had to bide his time till he was 20 before he got a sniff of the first team (just to people saying we should throw in kids). I have no sides in this argument, gerrard played middleton 30 times last season, mccrorie a fair bit, he's given chances to dapo, mcpake kennedy and patterson. Clearly demonstrating he is prepared to give youth a chance
Middleton is the only one there you could say he gave a chance to, and he was bought from Norwich so its not really the same.

Dapo, McPake, Kennedy & Patterson?

Patterson - 90 minutes v Stranraer
McPake - 23 minutes v St Josephs
Kennedy - 9 minutes v Stranraer
Mebude - 27 minutes v Killie in the last game of the 2018/19 season

That does not demonstrates he is willing to give them a chance. You'd struggle to find a side worldwide that gives less of a chance to youths. Seriously.

Middleton is the only one there you could say he gave a chance to, and he was bought from Norwich so its not really the same.

That does not demonstrates he is willing to give them a chance. You'd struggle to find a side worldwide that gives less of a chance to youths. Seriously.

Agreed. Our recent record is abysmal. Buy a few quality players in a window. Use youths to replace the likes of Barker. Some will make it, some won't. We should be able to do that now.

If we're saying that Ibrox is too toxic at the moment to bring through youngsters, then maybe the support needs to have a good look at itself.

I hope I'm not watching ex rangers kids showing up well in the epl in the next few years.

If those figures are true then that’s embarrassing which then asks the question how much are we wasting on having a youth academy

In a nutshell.

I don't think anyone is saying let's get Kennedy, Paterson,dickson,mebude into the 1st team they will be our saviours. But let's be honest when we have Jones,barker and ojo on the bench no way all 3 are coming on. So why not have a kid on the bench and should we be 3nil up give them 20 mins
We will lose Kennedy for sure and probably more .
If we do shut the place absolutely pointless

Sorry mate this is absolute nonsense. They played against guys like Ramos and Hierro. Guys who would have Porteous and similar wee fannies on toast.

If Kennedy is a better player than Barker out him in permanently and let Barker go.
You‘re puting Ramos, the 4 times champions league winner, World Cup winner, EUROS winner in the same category as Ryan fuckin Porteous?!?

To suggest Ramos is as dirty as Porteous tells me you’ve never watched Spanish football (or Scottish defenders) in your life

Can I ask the height of frimpong,dembele,mckenzie of killie?? Shall I go on. Listen our manager is very set in his own ways and nothing will change what he has in his mind. Will it work I have no clue
Would that be Frinpong who just got injured and put out for two months by Power at Kilmarnock?

You‘re puting Ramos, the 4 times champions league winner, World Cup winner, EUROS winner in the same category as Ryan fuckin Porteous?!?

To suggest Ramos is as dirty as Porteous tells me you’ve never watched Spanish football (or Scottish defenders) in your life

Not what I said but carry on having a hissy fit

Some fans are calling for leaders
Some are calling for winners
Now it’s calls for Kai Kennedy.

Play him in behind Lyndon dykes and Sam cosgrove next season with Lewis Ferguson backing him up. 70% of FF will be happy but so would 100% of the rest of the league

Some fans are calling for leaders
Some are calling for winners
Now it’s calls for Kai Kennedy.

Play him in behind Lyndon dykes and Sam cosgrove next season with Lewis Ferguson backing him up. 70% of FF will be happy but so would 100% of the rest of the league
I'm looking at it from a different angle than just Kennedy. If we're going out our way to put a first class academy in place, there's no point in having it if we're not going to get any use from it. Just cant take to this idea of loaning out all our young talent to everyone else, when some of them might be better than what we've got.

I'm looking at it from a different angle than just Kennedy. If we're going out our way to put a first class academy in place, there's no point in having it if we're not going to get any use from it. Just cant take to this idea of loaning out all our young talent to everyone else, when some of them might be better than what we've got.

They need to come into a team that are playing well. 10/15 mins here and there when we are winning. Throw any youngster in just now and you’ll ruin them.
Charlie Adam and John Fleck, to name a couple, received some amount of abuse when they were thrown into the first team after a few poor performances.

You only have to look at what’s happening now. All our players under 25 are still learning, developing and won’t be consistent. Yet you have a thread on here saying Aribo has to shape up or ship out.

Most of our fans don’t understand that players are still developing in their early 20’s and don’t peak til their late 20’s.

Kai, Dapo and young Nathan are a good foundation for the future of our club. Provided we don't sell them to premier league teams, I'm fed up of shit like that.

Back