Kaka wades into ultimate Steven Gerrard debate as he raves about Rangers boss

BlueMeanie

It's the ultimate three-way debate that gets supporters across the globe all hot and bothered.

We're of course talking about who is the best midfielder of England's vaunted Golden Generation.

Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard all have their backers and it's fair to say fans can't come to a consensus on who was the ultimate man in the middle.

But the legendary Brazilian has added his voice to the argument and he is backing the Rangers boss as the midfield top dog.

The AC Milan hero was left stunned in 2005 as Gerrard dragged Liverpool back three goals down in the Champions League Final to stun the Italian giants and lift the trophy in Istanbul.

But the playmaker earned revenge in Athens two years later as Milan defeated the Reds to lift the trophy.

And Kaka admits there's a clear candidate as the finest English football star of his era.

He told Sport Bible: "Because we had this challenge between ourselves in 2005 and 2007, I really admire him.

“Of course, Lampard was pretty amazing, Scholes the classic. But I’ll have Gerrard.”

And Kaka isn't the only Samba superstar who has praised Gerrard's abilities with Paris Saint Germain standout Neymar naming the Kop icon in his ultimate five-a-side team.

Seen a cracking video of him turning up at a kick about in East London.

Good egg is Ricardo.

It’s down to personal taste with the 3 because they were all exceptional.

Gerrard was a one man band and force of nature.

Lamps was one of the best goal scoring midfielders in football.

And Scholes controlled a game of football.

I’d go for Scholes because he was a genius on the park because of how he controlled games and was great to watch.

All three phenomenal though.

Funnily enough I think the 3 of them would really suit the way we (and I guess Liverpool) play a midfield 3 — a deep sitting, control the game type; an engine/box to box; and an attack minded one to get up and support the striker.

As much as I like Davis/Jack/Arfield, Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard would be phenomenal.

I don’t think Scholes had the same ability to grab a game by the scruff the way Stevie could, and he was blessed with some amazing talent around him his whole career. He controlled games because he had time and space created by others.

Lampard was the master of timing, but, again the reason he was able to be so far forward was the talent he had behind him.

Stevie could do almost everything and as much as he latterly had Alonso, Garcia, Suarez and Torres, much of his career was surrounded by fodder.

As for the England setup, he was often the one moved out of position as he was the better all rounder.

I don’t think Scholes had the same ability to grab a game by the scruff the way Stevie could, and he was blessed with some amazing talent around him his whole career. He controlled games because he had time and space created by others.

Lampard was the master of timing, but, again the reason he was able to be so far forward was the talent he had behind him.

Stevie could do almost everything and as much as he latterly had Alonso, Garcia, Suarez and Torres, much of his career was surrounded by fodder.

As for the England setup, he was often the one moved out of position as he was the better all rounder.

Can't disagree with any of that. A fair summary of all 3.

Do tabloid scribblers sign a contract to use hyperbolic pish like "wades in"?
He told Sport Bible: "Because we had this challenge between ourselves in 2005 and 2007, I really admire him. Of course, Lampard was pretty amazing, Scholes the classic. But I’ll have Gerrard.”
Very respectful contribution to all three, really.

Gerrard and Scholes were world class. Could walk into any team and make it better. I don’t think it’s fair to compare because they both did different jobs. Looking back what an opportunity England wasted having that quality available in midfield and not making the most of it.

I’m not sure Lampard would have done as well outside Chelsea to be honest. More of a system player who thrived in the role Mourinho gave him. He’d still score goals I’m sure but I never saw him control a game the way Gerrard and Scholes could. Great player but not in the same bracket.

Back when they were playing I always said Scholes was the best footballer, Lampard the best goalscorer and Gerrard the most inspirational.

Now I just say Gerrard was the best.

It’s down to personal taste with the 3 because they were all exceptional.

Gerrard was a one man band and force of nature.

Lamps was one of the best goal scoring midfielders in football.

And Scholes controlled a game of football.

I’d go for Scholes because he was a genius on the park because of how he controlled games and was great to watch.

All three phenomenal though.
Well probably never see the like of those three again owing to the fluid formations we witness now.

My favourite midfielder growing up was Bryan Robson and Scholes was on a par.

I thought he was raving about his managerial attributes when I read the headline! 3 great players. I can't quite split SG and PS. Frank was a fabulous player too.

England's biggest failing was not getting a system getting the best of all 3 together in same team.

For me the argument was always who should they play alongside Scholes.

Spot on, Scholes would be first name on my team sheet every day of the week. Stevie G was a better foil for Scholes, Lampard was too similar and would drift into Scholes areas trying to do the same job

Back