Kamara and Jack

frazz

I think it's difficult in the formation to not have these players as what they are really good at it covering for the full backs who are up the park.

Today was slow but its a lot to do with bcd as theirs no fans driving the teams on

BlueDel

In league games I am no fan of Kamara, I just don't think his game is suited for the Scottish game, for me he is too slow when on the ball; having said that, in Europe I think you can see when he has more time and space he is more comfortable and looks a player.
I think there is a tidy player in their but, for me, he is way too nervous for a "holding" deep midfielder. And completely unnecessary to play him with Jack already there.

Blueface

Said in the match thread that these two are not moving the ball fast enough for us to create space which is much needed in these domestic games. I don't have issues with either of them as individual players but today was painful to watch...

senefelder

I tend to agree, Kamara in particular consistently takes momentum out of our game. One instance in the 2nd half today had Goldson or Balogun about to move into acres of space in the middle of the park and he played the pass sharply into feet killing any chance of a quick attack. Harsh maybe but I think it's one of the issues which contribute to us struggling to break teams down.

DoitdoitdoitnowWATP

Perfectly good players but the opposite of what we require in most domestic games.

6 yard passes sideways and back are all well and good but neither one of them are capable of upping the tempo or driving us forward.
When Ryan jack scores he looks more surprised than happy. It's a pre requisite for a gers midfielder. Be greedy. Get the glory.

Mr Wilton

We hear this a lot, but we have an attacking team. Jack, Kamara, Goldson and Balogun are our defending players. The rest can get up the park and create. I think them being there is fine, it should allow the attacking players more room for attacking. Perhaps that needs a bit more scrutiny other than Jack and Kamara playing together. That said it was game 1 and 3 points, plenty to work on as the games come in.

DoitdoitdoitnowWATP

I think it's difficult in the formation to not have these players as what they are really good at it covering for the full backs who are up the park.

Today was slow but its a lot to do with bcd as theirs no fans driving the teams on
If you've ever played football it's all about winning no matter the level.

Jjbscotty

We hear this a lot, but we have an attacking team. Jack, Kamara, Goldson and Balogun are our defending players. The rest can get up the park and create. I think them being there is fine, it should allow the attacking players more room for attacking. Perhaps that needs a bit more scrutiny other than Jack and Kamara playing together. That said it was game 1 and 3 points, plenty to work on as the games come in.
They need to pass forwards to our attacking players though.

AHbear

We talk about getting better players in to improve the first 11 and I would get someone in Kamaras position to play alongside Jack.

Bluechip

Said it it the match thread, both of them don’t see things quick enough. They are both guilty of slowing the game down IMO. This is the position we need to strengthen the most.
A bit harsh on Jack, I think he gave the ball away maybe twice. Kamara on the other hand needs to get his head up a little quicker, gets caught in possession too often imho.

Der Berliner

Once we scored, Aberdeen opened up and gave us room to explore. At that stage, could have taken either of them off, as a threat from Aberdeen was not materializing.

While subbing Hagi was okay, given that he had run his race and we need him on Thursday, with Arfield we got another player that isn't that offensive (for us, at least). We could easily have taken off either Jack or Kamara, Hagi AND Morelos (given his imminent transfer and lack of goals) ... and throw on Stewart, Barker and Murphy, with the latter taking up the Hagi slot in AM. As it was, we essentially started defending the 1-0 from 60odd minutes onwards and we all know how adapt we are at defending slender leads, not least in Aberdeen.

BRaven

I think we should reign the judgement in after one game.

Playing away against Aberdeen is typically a game you have to be tight in midfield. A change of tactics or not this season, i’d suggest Gerrard got it spot on. With regards to later in the game possibly bringing an attacker on, we’d have people on here having a go because we didn’t keep the midfield solid.

We may well see a more forward thinking style from either player in different games. Their job today certainly wasn’t to get forward otherwise Gerrard would have had Arfield taking a starting spot.

Stuart_WATP

Apart from Celtic, that's our toughest fixture of the season so I understand why both played but I take the OP's point, they're far too similar and neither offer much of an attacking threat. One should be sacrificed in the run-of-the-mill games

Nelka

This is the area of the team we need to upgrade the starting 11 as a priority. Both are tidy players, but should be squad players.

BigTinder86

A bit harsh on Jack, I think he gave the ball away maybe twice. Kamara on the other hand needs to get his head up a little quicker, gets caught in possession too often imho.
Jack keeps the ball well and is a reliable player. Problem is he doesn’t see a forward pass or the correct pass quick enough. Unfortunately none of our defensive midfielders do, which is vital for the position they play.

Scooby

I thought Aberdeen looked to target Kamara, they closed him down very quickly trying to overturn possession in dangerous areas.

Luckily nothing came of it, but it shows other teams have picked up that he sometimes is liable to dally on the ball in extremely dangerous positions.

interbear

I agree with the OP. Having both of them in our midfield 3 is not necessary, they are naturally defensive and too often look for the safe sideways pass. We need someone in there who is more direct and likely to pick a forward pass so that we transition quicker from defence to attack. With the amount of movement from the front 3 and Aribo that would make a real difference to the pace we move forward at. I hope we bring someone in who can do that (Zungu might be that player) and play with either Jack or Kamara but not both.

Gee

Playing the two in most domestic games makes for very tough viewing.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.
Absolutely spot on both are not players to drive the team forward both slow the tempo down and make pointless 3-5 yard passes sideways or backwards there is only room for one in the team and Jack is the better of the two but we can get much better than him and we are going to need too. the celtic midfield has brown sitting and then any two of McGregor Christie Ntcham supported by two wide men and two strikers makes them much more of a threat we don’t have the right dynamics it is worrying but two new midfielders with more energy and goal threat would change us dramatically we more than match them every where else but we need an upgrade on Jack and especially Kamara

Captain_Buns

Playing the two in most domestic games makes for very tough viewing.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.
That’ll be why we’re looking at bringing in a midfielder.

OZ1872

Both good tidy players, retain and recycle possession well but both lack the character and ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and drive the team forward a la Barry Ferguson. Maybe just not in their character to be that leader. We need to address it.

Joeblue10

Official Ticketer
I would replace one of them as soon as possible. If we had more money I would replace both.
Surely that statement is accurate for every position?

fwiw, both are more than adequate for our current squad and budget, although I would prefer only 1 playing at a time.

Wilbour

Jack gives the ball away too many times for me. Gets caught in possession and takes too many touches. We need way better to win the league.

Detective Vic Mackey

Thought Kamara was poor today.

I like Jack but he isn’t a top player tbh. He’s too inconsistent and drifts in and out of games. He should be dictating the play and driving us forward.

HamiltonBear

Jack gives the ball away too many times for me. Gets caught in possession and takes too many touches. We need way better to win the league.
Oooft that's harsh.

Way I see it he is our Jordan Henderson/ lucas leiva type. Liverpool fans not that enamoured with either of those guys but always one of the 1st names in the team.

Quite obvious our manager sees more in him than some and I really think he knows a bit about that position.

Kit_

A lot of momentum is lost when played through the middle, especially Kamara. I think bringing in someone box to box like Zungu will give us more push when these anti football teams show cracks in the armour.