Kamara and Jack

Albertz_Was_King

Playing the two in most domestic games makes for very tough viewing.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.

Kamara was on a serious go slow that 25 and Jack was just sitting too deep. Aberdeen were weird today and they didn't have to a lot to do in trying to break up and make interceptions.

Playing the two in most domestic games makes for very tough viewing.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.

I think either one is good enough to play in a title winning team, but not both together. Would keep them both and have one playing every game, but we need an upgrade alongside them. Davis if he was 5 years younger would be perfect.

I would replace one of them as soon as possible. If we had more money I would replace both.

Quality at the base of midfield is the next step (aside from strikers obviously).

I don't know if Zungu is that guy having only seen YouTube clips but here's hoping. A proper driving force capable of an incisive pass is needed. A Gio, Tugay, Ferguson, Mendes level would be a dream

Good, solid, capable, reliable players for certain matches.

Too slow, ponderous and pedestrian in possession. Too many extra touches, neat and tidy but delay releasing the ball, take the wrong options and that's why the attack minded players find themselves deep.

They offer very little in a creative or attack minded sense. 25 yards and in from goal and it just breaks down when they are in possession.

We had two centre backs capable of bringing the ball from the back yet Jack and Kamara sit on their toes. You could see Balogun communicating and telling them to take a slightly higher position up the park.

Hagi and Kent screaming for early balls yet it's an under hit pass or extra touch in midfield.

We've been going over and over about our midfield for the last two years now. Today was no different.

I am fine with Jack. But if I am really honest I am not altogether convinced by Kamara. I get that occasionally he drops his shoulder and leaves his man for dead and it looks great. He is also generally neat and tidy. But is neat and tidy enough? And he scares the living daylights out of me when he has the ball in the defensive third. I absolutely get that he has some good attributes. I am just not sure that it all adds up to quite enough often enough.

Jack significantly hinders our tempo.

Slows everything down at times when it's exactly what we don't need.

Frustrating.

Where does Kamara play for Finland? I’m sure I read he plays further forward but I haven’t seen their games to confirm.

Aberdeen had everybody back for a lot of the game, there wasn't always a lot of chances to break the lines and they were hoping for us to lose the ball in and around that area to try and hit us on a counter.

I thought the midfield was average rather than poor today. I wouldn't be singling them out for too much criticism on the first day of the season. I think we at times deliberately tried to take the sting out of the game. Where as we've been lulled into playing Aberdeen's type of game in previous fixtures.

Last edited:
When Davis is fit the two won’t play together it will be one or the other plus SD

In league games I am no fan of Kamara, I just don't think his game is suited for the Scottish game, for me he is too slow when on the ball; having said that, in Europe I think you can see when he has more time and space he is more comfortable and looks a player.

Both good in possession and are great defensively but in terms of attacking ability and hitting the target they both have a lot of work to do .
If you want to hold onto the ball and keep the ball playing both is fine but trying to score goals and move the ball quickly we need better . Guess that’s why we are looking at others

I don't know what it was, but Kamara's passing today seemed very slow. Lile whenever the ball left his feet my heart was in my mouth waiting for an Aberdeen player to intercept, and it's probably more to do with how shite they were that it didn't happen.

I really like Kamara as well, but the OP is right, these games with teams sitting deep just do not suit two players like him and Jack.

That's why I have no problem with Goldson trying the early long ball that drives some people crazy.

Watch Zungu's game. Head up, he's picked that pass out before his first touch has landed on his boot. It's what Gerrard and Beckham done so well.

Even simple 5/10 yards are hit with directness. Play that ball into Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Aribo early and with a bit of pace to work with and watch them go.

Move it with authority, the vision to see your team mate in space with the opponent out of position. It's one way to break down a stubborn, organised line.

Kamara looks as if he prefers a more open middle than what he gets alongside Jack; when Jack went off against Coventry Kamara played more freely and more comfortable. Can we play those two together and get the best out of Kamara? I don't know.

I think they were solid but one of them needs to adapt there game when on the attack the two of them still sit in the Midfield one of them has to adapt to get up in support

I think it's difficult in the formation to not have these players as what they are really good at it covering for the full backs who are up the park.

Today was slow but its a lot to do with bcd as theirs no fans driving the teams on

In league games I am no fan of Kamara, I just don't think his game is suited for the Scottish game, for me he is too slow when on the ball; having said that, in Europe I think you can see when he has more time and space he is more comfortable and looks a player.
I think there is a tidy player in their but, for me, he is way too nervous for a "holding" deep midfielder. And completely unnecessary to play him with Jack already there.

Said in the match thread that these two are not moving the ball fast enough for us to create space which is much needed in these domestic games. I don't have issues with either of them as individual players but today was painful to watch...

I tend to agree, Kamara in particular consistently takes momentum out of our game. One instance in the 2nd half today had Goldson or Balogun about to move into acres of space in the middle of the park and he played the pass sharply into feet killing any chance of a quick attack. Harsh maybe but I think it's one of the issues which contribute to us struggling to break teams down.

Kamara frustrates the life out of me at times.

It should be Aribo, New signing & jack/Kamara fighting for the 3rd space.

Perfectly good players but the opposite of what we require in most domestic games.

6 yard passes sideways and back are all well and good but neither one of them are capable of upping the tempo or driving us forward.
When Ryan jack scores he looks more surprised than happy. It's a pre requisite for a gers midfielder. Be greedy. Get the glory.

We hear this a lot, but we have an attacking team. Jack, Kamara, Goldson and Balogun are our defending players. The rest can get up the park and create. I think them being there is fine, it should allow the attacking players more room for attacking. Perhaps that needs a bit more scrutiny other than Jack and Kamara playing together. That said it was game 1 and 3 points, plenty to work on as the games come in.

I think it's difficult in the formation to not have these players as what they are really good at it covering for the full backs who are up the park.

Today was slow but its a lot to do with bcd as theirs no fans driving the teams on
If you've ever played football it's all about winning no matter the level.

We hear this a lot, but we have an attacking team. Jack, Kamara, Goldson and Balogun are our defending players. The rest can get up the park and create. I think them being there is fine, it should allow the attacking players more room for attacking. Perhaps that needs a bit more scrutiny other than Jack and Kamara playing together. That said it was game 1 and 3 points, plenty to work on as the games come in.
They need to pass forwards to our attacking players though.

Back