Kamara and Jack

We talk about getting better players in to improve the first 11 and I would get someone in Kamaras position to play alongside Jack.

Said it it the match thread, both of them don’t see things quick enough. They are both guilty of slowing the game down IMO. This is the position we need to strengthen the most.
A bit harsh on Jack, I think he gave the ball away maybe twice. Kamara on the other hand needs to get his head up a little quicker, gets caught in possession too often imho.

Once we scored, Aberdeen opened up and gave us room to explore. At that stage, could have taken either of them off, as a threat from Aberdeen was not materializing.

While subbing Hagi was okay, given that he had run his race and we need him on Thursday, with Arfield we got another player that isn't that offensive (for us, at least). We could easily have taken off either Jack or Kamara, Hagi AND Morelos (given his imminent transfer and lack of goals) ... and throw on Stewart, Barker and Murphy, with the latter taking up the Hagi slot in AM. As it was, we essentially started defending the 1-0 from 60odd minutes onwards and we all know how adapt we are at defending slender leads, not least in Aberdeen.

I think we should reign the judgement in after one game.

Playing away against Aberdeen is typically a game you have to be tight in midfield. A change of tactics or not this season, i’d suggest Gerrard got it spot on. With regards to later in the game possibly bringing an attacker on, we’d have people on here having a go because we didn’t keep the midfield solid.

We may well see a more forward thinking style from either player in different games. Their job today certainly wasn’t to get forward otherwise Gerrard would have had Arfield taking a starting spot.

Both very good player and have their place in the squad but if we are seroius about a title challange upgrades are needed.

Apart from Celtic, that's our toughest fixture of the season so I understand why both played but I take the OP's point, they're far too similar and neither offer much of an attacking threat. One should be sacrificed in the run-of-the-mill games

This is the area of the team we need to upgrade the starting 11 as a priority. Both are tidy players, but should be squad players.

A bit harsh on Jack, I think he gave the ball away maybe twice. Kamara on the other hand needs to get his head up a little quicker, gets caught in possession too often imho.

Jack keeps the ball well and is a reliable player. Problem is he doesn’t see a forward pass or the correct pass quick enough. Unfortunately none of our defensive midfielders do, which is vital for the position they play.

I thought Aberdeen looked to target Kamara, they closed him down very quickly trying to overturn possession in dangerous areas.

Luckily nothing came of it, but it shows other teams have picked up that he sometimes is liable to dally on the ball in extremely dangerous positions.

I agree with the OP. Having both of them in our midfield 3 is not necessary, they are naturally defensive and too often look for the safe sideways pass. We need someone in there who is more direct and likely to pick a forward pass so that we transition quicker from defence to attack. With the amount of movement from the front 3 and Aribo that would make a real difference to the pace we move forward at. I hope we bring someone in who can do that (Zungu might be that player) and play with either Jack or Kamara but not both.

Playing the two in most domestic games makes for very tough viewing.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.
Absolutely spot on both are not players to drive the team forward both slow the tempo down and make pointless 3-5 yard passes sideways or backwards there is only room for one in the team and Jack is the better of the two but we can get much better than him and we are going to need too. the celtic midfield has brown sitting and then any two of McGregor Christie Ntcham supported by two wide men and two strikers makes them much more of a threat we don’t have the right dynamics it is worrying but two new midfielders with more energy and goal threat would change us dramatically we more than match them every where else but we need an upgrade on Jack and especially Kamara

We don't need both Kamara and Jack in a domestic game we need Zungu and another attacking midfielder along with Aribo imo.

It is not either players fault but their style and ability means they have a certain ceiling and when your up against Scottish clubs, they will be happy having two very similar players in a Rangers midfield 3.

Personally I think both are a capable players but if we truly want to make the next step, I don’t think we can afford to not upgrade on them.

That’ll be why we’re looking at bringing in a midfielder.

Both good tidy players, retain and recycle possession well but both lack the character and ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and drive the team forward a la Barry Ferguson. Maybe just not in their character to be that leader. We need to address it.

I would replace one of them as soon as possible. If we had more money I would replace both.
Surely that statement is accurate for every position?

fwiw, both are more than adequate for our current squad and budget, although I would prefer only 1 playing at a time.

Jack gives the ball away too many times for me. Gets caught in possession and takes too many touches. We need way better to win the league.

Thought Kamara was poor today.

I like Jack but he isn’t a top player tbh. He’s too inconsistent and drifts in and out of games. He should be dictating the play and driving us forward.

Jack gives the ball away too many times for me. Gets caught in possession and takes too many touches. We need way better to win the league.

Oooft that's harsh.

Way I see it he is our Jordan Henderson/ lucas leiva type. Liverpool fans not that enamoured with either of those guys but always one of the 1st names in the team.

Quite obvious our manager sees more in him than some and I really think he knows a bit about that position.

A lot of momentum is lost when played through the middle, especially Kamara. I think bringing in someone box to box like Zungu will give us more push when these anti football teams show cracks in the armour.

We need one of them to be box to box and one of them to be the sitter and recycler of the ball currently the two of them are sitting i think Jack is more suited to box to box he's showed last season his finishing has improved

There is a change in shape and positional sense Kamara and Jack are both a 2 in the middle taking from defence and looking to pass to either fullbacks. This looks like a ploy to release aribo and the other 3 forwards plus opposite fullback. Leaving 4 back (those 2 and both CH) and 6 forward.

Both of them playing is a major reason we haven’t conceded. It leaves Aribo hagi kent to attack along within our full backs.

at home yes , there is no need for both but away games where we need to control the game and not let the opponents near them they are good security which lets the others attack

Midfield upgrades are every bit as important to us as a Morelos replacement if we’re to be successful this season.
Let’s be honest, you often get what you pay for. And we’ve hardly spent a penny on our midfield options, Hagi aside, compared to the money spent on Kent, Helander, Goldson and Barisic.

Wasn’t impressed with Kamara today and Jack was pretty quiet but did a few good things.
Agree with this Kamara does nothing for me i dont rate him at all a side pass or back pass is his limit ,caught twice in possesion again luckily nothing came out of it for sheep,every time he has ball i fear him fannying about losing possesion and causing a attack against us need better than him in midfield.

I would have preferred to have seen Arfield start rather than both Jack and Kamara.

In Scotland we should be playing Aribo and Arfield or Davis in every match (maybe the mentally challenged away excepted) with one of either Jack or Kamara.

Almost word for word said the same thing when discussing the game and season ahead yesterday.

If you add Jack, Davis and Kamara together you get all the attributes of a great midfielder. But we need to play all 3 to get what Gerrard seems to seek in midfield.

I actually think that getting the midfield balance right will make or break our season.

Would love to see an Aribo, Hagi and (Jack, Kamara or Zungu) in a 3 against the cloggers.

Jack was outstanding last season didn’t play bad yesterday.

Jack and Kamara absolutely bossed it today (with the exception of maybe 10mins in the second half).
Their positional play and ball retention allowed Aribo to push on along with both fullbacks at the same time.
Madness that some don’t see the benefit of having both in there for a game that is historically one of our toughest of the season!!

We go to Aberdeen and they don’t have a single shot on target yet we have literally dozens of posts and posters criticising the team!

There is a reason our fullbacks can play so high up the park and that’s Jack and Kamara!

To allow Hagi, Kent and Aribo to play the way they do we need Jack and Kamara there!

Football is a team game and Jack and Kamara are absolutely needed to allow the others to play.

I’ve never really bought into this place being infested by mentally challengeds but after reading some of the post match comments I am starting to have second thoughts

As in our goal yesterday?

how many other chances did we make though? you not think we are slow playing the ball about in the wrong 2 thirds of the park?

we don’t create enough genuine chances.

to use 1 of the few times we did break quick which resulted in our goal I would think would strengthen my argument!

Back