Katic - Lyndon Dykes almost on same level as Morelos

GallowgateBlue

Don't know why Dykes get such a hard time. He seems to be decent and considering how much praise Cosgrove gets from football 'experts', I would rate him higher. Doesn't seem to be a thug like some of the rest of the big front men you see.

bluereason

See if your even thinking that, great Nico. But use the heed and keep it to yourself or tell the gaffer. Don't broadcast it ffs.

Arkanoid

A dream thread for many on here, all we need is Morelos to say McKenna is the toughest defender he's played against

si72

You should keep laughing.

Even if he is a good SPFL level striker, we need to be aiming higher than that with our recruitment
Aiming higher you say but you think we should sign Ferguson who also has done absolutely f uck all bar few no bad few games against us.

prenzlauerbear

While I’m not 100% on Niko’s claim about Dykes, this place in general is murder for dismissing players purely based on the fact they play in the SPFL, despite countless examples of guys stepping up when coached properly and surrounded by better players. Some people just don’t learn.
FF isn't a monoculture where everyone has the same opinions.

I hope we sign Lewis Ferguson and am happy with Kamberi. I don't, however, want Dykes.

When was the last time a big, one-dimensional target man like that actually worked for Rangers?

Wugs

Katic put in a solid display against Livi powerhouse Lyndon Dykes - linked with Gers in January - as he helped grind out three points with a clean sheet.

The 23-year-old defender rates Dykes so highly that he reckons he is on a par with Alfredo Morelos

“When you play against a striker like Dykes it’s always tough too because he is really good.

“Almost he’s on the same level as Alfredo and I think he will become a really top player, it is always hard to play against him

jackstar

I don’t think we would have seen Morelos put in those performances in his first season with us either.
Players develop and become better when surrounded by more talented peers if they can apply themselves correctly.
I've said that about Stewart,Jones,Doc,just wish they'd be given the nod. Stewart's been unlucky that he's been injured just when we needed them. I think Dykes's game would come on playing with better players. I think the training is different and under SG would only enhance his game.

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
People slating Niko, not sure why. He plays Morelos in training every day, and then he's been up against Dykes a good few times. Can't we just accept his opinion which let's be honest is far more informed than any of us.
Naw.

Why would I value the opinion of a guy who has actually played against Dykes when I can listen to people on a message board who judge him on the club he plays for?

MSF

Naw.

Why would I value the opinion of a guy who has actually played against Dykes when I can listen to people on a message board who judge him on the club he plays for?
What if Goldson comes out tomorrow and says Dykes is poor - that he has a much harder time against Devante Cole.

Then who do you believe? What do you think? Its best to make your own opinion up, not rely on others. Think for yourself.

As always, people believe what they want to. If Scott McKenna said that Eamonn Brophy is a better player than Morelos, this forum would go nuts and said he is a liar/doesnt know what he is talking about/thick as shit.

CaptainCourageous

I don’t think we would have seen Morelos put in those performances in his first season with us either.
Players develop and become better when surrounded by more talented peers if they can apply themselves correctly.
Dykes will never be what Morelos is. They are completely different style of footballers.

We struggle at times with Morelos in the team, then he produces a piece of magic that downs the opposition. Do you see Dykes doing that because I don't.

Bar his effort that hit the post yesterday he didn't do that much bar take a few long throw ins.

People are talking about selling Morelos, Tavernier, Goldson and bringing in the likes of a Dykes. Same people expect a league title. Your not going to get a league title if your continue to fill a said with mediocrity.

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
What if Goldson comes out tomorrow and says Dykes is poor - that he has a much harder time against Devante Cole.

Then who do you believe? What do you think? Its best to make your own opinion up, not rely on others. Think for yourself.
I don't believe I know better than a professional footballer, though I do like Dykes, he is a player who always seems to give our defenders a hard time.

When the argument contrary to Niko's opinion is that he plays for Livingston then it's pretty easy to dismiss.

SmileyBear

The fact that Defoe got 3 goals is a testament to him – he was getting next to no service for most of the games he participated in, which was well talked about after each game.

We only had 4 shots on target against Kilmarnock, not 14. We've been struggling to open teams up and create clear chances since the break for the majority of games, surely that's been pretty blatant?
We can and should always be able to create more, I don't think the chances have dried up at all just when we played Defoe we never really changed the team to accommodate him we were firing balls up to him expecting him to be Morelos and that's just not his game.
I still think our poor finishing is an issue and has been for some time.

Its-Sebo

Maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention, but Livingston did fück all bar the last 10 minutes and I felt the same with Dykes.

No harm to the guy but what did he do other than his good volley off the post and ruffle some feathers for 10 minutes against a team devoid of confidence but needing a win?

Reactions: MSF

CaptainCourageous

Maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention, but Livingston did fück all bar the last 10 minutes and I felt the same with Dykes.

No harm to the guy but what did he do other than his good volley off the post and ruffle some feathers for 10 minutes against a team devoid of confidence but needing a win?
Nothing.

Liam Boyce and Eamon Brophy caused Katić problems.

MSF

I don't believe I know better than a professional footballer, though I do like Dykes, he is a player who always seems to give our defenders a hard time.

When the argument contrary to Niko's opinion is that he plays for Livingston then it's pretty easy to dismiss.
He done well against Goldson once, the first time they played against each other. Has he got the better of him since?

My issue is with targeting squad players. We done it in the summer and it didn’t work. With an expansive, evergrowing recruitment team we should be able to sign players who push others to the bench.

We have so much deadwood its frightening.

MSF

Zilch. Thats all it takes to make someone a player for people on here.

prenzlauerbear

IMO this is the team that can stop the 10. Full of passion and physicality. Won’t get bullied and will put in some hard tackles!

McGregor
Hutton Katic Edmundson Halliday
Jones Docherty Ferguson Murphy
Dykes Main
Looks good, but you forgot big Uche "gives you something different" Ikpeazu. Maybe we could bring back Louis Hoult to Scotland as well?

Dalmuirbear

Dykes will never be what Morelos is. They are completely different style of footballers.

We struggle at times with Morelos in the team, then he produces a piece of magic that downs the opposition. Do you see Dykes doing that because I don't.

Bar his effort that hit the post yesterday he didn't do that much bar take a few long throw ins.

People are talking about selling Morelos, Tavernier, Goldson and bringing in the likes of a Dykes. Same people expect a league title. Your not going to get a league title if your continue to fill a said with mediocrity.
It’s horses for courses isn’t it.
I am not advocating signing Dykes, just that he would be a decent option and give us a different dimension to our game when required.

Number 4

That’s amongst the more silly and irrelevant posts on this thread.
Morelos has had a much better season than Dykes.
Dykes isn’t the talismanic, much rewarded focal point of a championship chasing team who has effectively helped himself to a 2 month holiday at the crucial time.

Necro

Aiming higher you say but you think we should sign Ferguson who also has done absolutely f uck all bar few no bad few games against us.
That's a complete strawman but I'll answer it anyway. Not taking the blame if the thread gets derailed.

Lewis Ferguson is 4 years younger(20)than Dykes and is already more experienced than players in our squad, he's played more professional games than Jordon Jones has for example.

We are very light in midfield, we are even lighter when you take style of player into account. He's already quite an effective destroyer type and would be worth investing time into, even if that involves spells out on loan.

The only players I'd be considering in the SPFL currently are Ferguson, Souttar and possibly Turnbull if he recovers his pre injury form.

MearnsUnionist

Dykes is much better than many on here seem to think

He certainly is.

Won more than he lost against Katic in the air and not many strikers can claim that.

He's lightning quick too and also has great physicality.

He also showed great technique with his shot that came off the post

Best striker in Scotland outside us and them and will develop into a top drawer striker.

CaptainCourageous

It’s horses for courses isn’t it.
I am not advocating signing Dykes, just that he would be a decent option and give us a different dimension to our game when required.
Needs to be playing regularly to develop further and improve. He's not going to get that at Rangers.

We lose Morelos and we need genuine quality to replace him. Then we've got Defoe who will be second in command. Third choice is barely making the bench, unless Defoe becomes third choice which means back up to the main striker has to be better than a Kamberi or Dykes.

MSF

Looks good, but you forgot big Uche "gives you something different" Ikpeazu. Maybe we could bring back Louis Hoult to Scotland as well?
The list of strikers that have been consistently suggested on here...

Josh Magennis
Louis Moult
Uche Ikpeazu
Lawrence Shankland
Dolly Menga
Eamonn Brophy
Curtis Main
Sam Cosgrove

Make no mistake, next season there will be another physical striker that folk will pray for. My bet is Ogkmpoe from Hamilton.

Dalmuirbear

Needs to be playing regularly to develop further and improve. He's not going to get that at Rangers.

We lose Morelos and we need genuine quality to replace him. Then we've got Defoe who will be second in command. Third choice is barely making the bench, unless Defoe becomes third choice which means back up to the main striker has to be better than a Kamberi or Dykes.
Again, I am not advocating we sign him. It was a purely hypothetical response to your initial post.

govwalker

Once Morelos goes we are gonna need 3 strikers cause Defoe will be pushing 40 in another year's time.

Necro

Bollocks.

Dykes is nowhere near as bad as Clarke, Kyle, Daly, Black, Law and so on and so on.

Utter snobbery by some here.

Not one poster had Ever heard of Morelos until we signed him. Anyone saying they did is a liar.

Not for one second am i suggesting he's our Top Target but fck me he would be a good addition to a squad and surrounded by better players become even better himself.
Where did I say he was? I said it would be reverting back to lazy recruitment habits, it would be on the same level as Velicka or Gow back in the day.

Nobody had ever heard of Morelos? Ok, why is that relevant? We should be doing our homework on more players like him.

Salzburg found Haland and he became a superstar in 6 months, they have such a good reputation for it that people are expecting it again in the summer. That's the model we should be trying to emulate, not an SPFL scattergun approach. All you have to do is look at Jones and Barker to see how that turns out.

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
He done well against Goldson once, the first time they played against each other. Has he got the better of him since?

My issue is with targeting squad players. We done it in the summer and it didn’t work. With an expansive, evergrowing recruitment team we should be able to sign players who push others to the bench.

We have so much deadwood its frightening.
The need for a 3rd striker was obvious for a long time before Defoe's injury, for a side that plays one up front we aren't going to get much better than Kamberi or Dykes to accept that role.
Whoever we signed was always a squad player, unless you saw us signing someone to push Morelos out of the side?

Because he doesn't get the better of Goldson every game doesn't mean he hasn't played well against us.

For the record, I'm not saying he's a player we need to be signing, I just won't rule a guy out based on him playing for Livingston.

brain

He certainly is.

Won more than he lost against Katic in the air and not many strikers can claim that.

He's lightning quick too and also has great physicality.

He also showed great technique with his shot that came off the post

Best striker in Scotland outside us and them and will develop into a top drawer striker.
He gets lumped together with Cosgrove on here as a bruiser and no more but he actually has very good technique.