Katic - Lyndon Dykes almost on same level as Morelos

Dykes is a very capable player. We could do worse than signing him as a back up and a different option.
I think the signing of Hagi shows we have broadened our horizons on the recruitment front. That said, if there is a player doing well in your current league then you shouldn't turn your nose up, Kamara anyone?

Goldson and Helander marshalled him superbly in the last game at their place. He didn’t get a sniff either in the air or on the ground & Jack dropped deep to mop up any second balls that he came from him.

Katic has struggled a few times against him, not so much in the air this time, more on the ground.

What a stupid comment.

Dykes isn’t anywhere near Morelos’ level. Not even close.
Think he means in terms of strength and being able to occupy 2 cbs etc not actually at the same quality of all round play

i would take a punt on him for next season as a squad player. might just scrap you out a vital goal in the last 10 minutes.

Lack of service has certainly been a problem since the break, possibly aside from yesterday. Some of the matches Defoe played in you'd think he wasn't there, barely received a pass to feet for entire games.

Defoe had three goals in four games he also missed chances after the break as did other players our problem now is we do not finish teams off.
The last game we got beat by Kilmarnock we had 14 shots on target and only one goal, we are not clinical enough.

Dykes is a class act and we should snap him up now before some Championship or lower EPL mob shows interest and prices us out.

It was working pretty well until we shat ourselves in January as usual.

The dissent was noticeably quieter in December.
No, it didn’t. The squad players have done nothing. We have around 13 players that are good enough to be involved.

The rest are not.

I like Dykes, a big target man who’s actually a more technical than people give him credit for.

The way most teams set up against us, really rules out players such as Barker and Jones as there is no room behind a packed defence for them to exploit their pace.

I’m not saying he’s a Dado Prso, but he’s in that mould and I think with the right coaching he could become a very handy player to have as in my opinion it’s the type of player we lack right now.

Dykes would be in the stand watching games for most of the season after the pile of red cards he'd receive in a blue shirt.

Being a footballer doesn’t make you an expert, just stick on a sports channel, listen to them and my point will be backed up.

If Michael Stewart said that this forum would be in meltdown, and rightly so.

Michael Stewart hasn't played against him three times this season, so that's a stupid comparison to start with.

I said this months ago. My mate works with the first team and Katic said months ago that Dykes was one of the best/trickiest strikers he’s ever played against.

It’s the same names time after time on these threads berating anyone who dare say anyone in Scotland is a good player.

Dykes would improve us, and offer us a very different option up top.

and whilst I’m going all in, I’d also take Mclennan at Aberdeen too.

Folk need to realise not every talent starts at Rangers, Celtic or English Championship+

We have already proved that the best of the rest can more than hold their own in our squad. Take the cheap gamble.

Defoe had three goals in four games he also missed chances after the break as did other players our problem now is we do not finish teams off.
The last game we got beat by Kilmarnock we had 14 shots on target and only one goal, we are not clinical enough.

The fact that Defoe got 3 goals is a testament to him – he was getting next to no service for most of the games he participated in, which was well talked about after each game.

We only had 4 shots on target against Kilmarnock, not 14. We've been struggling to open teams up and create clear chances since the break for the majority of games, surely that's been pretty blatant?

I know, I'm not suggesting that people have been.

Signing Dykes would be reverting back to lazy recruitment pre 2012

Bollocks.

Dykes is nowhere near as bad as Clarke, Kyle, Daly, Black, Law and so on and so on.

Utter snobbery by some here.

Not one poster had Ever heard of Morelos until we signed him. Anyone saying they did is a liar.

Not for one second am i suggesting he's our Top Target but fck me he would be a good addition to a squad and surrounded by better players become even better himself.

Don't know why Dykes get such a hard time. He seems to be decent and considering how much praise Cosgrove gets from football 'experts', I would rate him higher. Doesn't seem to be a thug like some of the rest of the big front men you see.

See if your even thinking that, great Nico. But use the heed and keep it to yourself or tell the gaffer. Don't broadcast it ffs.

A dream thread for many on here, all we need is Morelos to say McKenna is the toughest defender he's played against

You should keep laughing.

Even if he is a good SPFL level striker, we need to be aiming higher than that with our recruitment
Aiming higher you say but you think we should sign Ferguson who also has done absolutely f uck all bar few no bad few games against us.

While I’m not 100% on Niko’s claim about Dykes, this place in general is murder for dismissing players purely based on the fact they play in the SPFL, despite countless examples of guys stepping up when coached properly and surrounded by better players. Some people just don’t learn.

FF isn't a monoculture where everyone has the same opinions.

I hope we sign Lewis Ferguson and am happy with Kamberi. I don't, however, want Dykes.

When was the last time a big, one-dimensional target man like that actually worked for Rangers?

Katic put in a solid display against Livi powerhouse Lyndon Dykes - linked with Gers in January - as he helped grind out three points with a clean sheet.

The 23-year-old defender rates Dykes so highly that he reckons he is on a par with Alfredo Morelos

“When you play against a striker like Dykes it’s always tough too because he is really good.

“Almost he’s on the same level as Alfredo and I think he will become a really top player, it is always hard to play against him
9RljPrf.gif

I don’t think we would have seen Morelos put in those performances in his first season with us either.
Players develop and become better when surrounded by more talented peers if they can apply themselves correctly.
I've said that about Stewart,Jones,Doc,just wish they'd be given the nod. Stewart's been unlucky that he's been injured just when we needed them. I think Dykes's game would come on playing with better players. I think the training is different and under SG would only enhance his game.

People slating Niko, not sure why. He plays Morelos in training every day, and then he's been up against Dykes a good few times. Can't we just accept his opinion which let's be honest is far more informed than any of us.
Naw.

Why would I value the opinion of a guy who has actually played against Dykes when I can listen to people on a message board who judge him on the club he plays for?

Naw.

Why would I value the opinion of a guy who has actually played against Dykes when I can listen to people on a message board who judge him on the club he plays for?
What if Goldson comes out tomorrow and says Dykes is poor - that he has a much harder time against Devante Cole.

Then who do you believe? What do you think? Its best to make your own opinion up, not rely on others. Think for yourself.

As always, people believe what they want to. If Scott McKenna said that Eamonn Brophy is a better player than Morelos, this forum would go nuts and said he is a liar/doesnt know what he is talking about/thick as shit.

I don’t think we would have seen Morelos put in those performances in his first season with us either.
Players develop and become better when surrounded by more talented peers if they can apply themselves correctly.

Dykes will never be what Morelos is. They are completely different style of footballers.

We struggle at times with Morelos in the team, then he produces a piece of magic that downs the opposition. Do you see Dykes doing that because I don't.

Bar his effort that hit the post yesterday he didn't do that much bar take a few long throw ins.

People are talking about selling Morelos, Tavernier, Goldson and bringing in the likes of a Dykes. Same people expect a league title. Your not going to get a league title if your continue to fill a said with mediocrity.

What if Goldson comes out tomorrow and says Dykes is poor - that he has a much harder time against Devante Cole.

Then who do you believe? What do you think? Its best to make your own opinion up, not rely on others. Think for yourself.
I don't believe I know better than a professional footballer, though I do like Dykes, he is a player who always seems to give our defenders a hard time.

When the argument contrary to Niko's opinion is that he plays for Livingston then it's pretty easy to dismiss.

The fact that Defoe got 3 goals is a testament to him – he was getting next to no service for most of the games he participated in, which was well talked about after each game.

We only had 4 shots on target against Kilmarnock, not 14. We've been struggling to open teams up and create clear chances since the break for the majority of games, surely that's been pretty blatant?
We can and should always be able to create more, I don't think the chances have dried up at all just when we played Defoe we never really changed the team to accommodate him we were firing balls up to him expecting him to be Morelos and that's just not his game.
I still think our poor finishing is an issue and has been for some time.

Maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention, but Livingston did fück all bar the last 10 minutes and I felt the same with Dykes.

No harm to the guy but what did he do other than his good volley off the post and ruffle some feathers for 10 minutes against a team devoid of confidence but needing a win?

Reactions: MSF
Maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention, but Livingston did fück all bar the last 10 minutes and I felt the same with Dykes.

No harm to the guy but what did he do other than his good volley off the post and ruffle some feathers for 10 minutes against a team devoid of confidence but needing a win?

Nothing.

Liam Boyce and Eamon Brophy caused Katić problems.

I don't believe I know better than a professional footballer, though I do like Dykes, he is a player who always seems to give our defenders a hard time.

When the argument contrary to Niko's opinion is that he plays for Livingston then it's pretty easy to dismiss.
He done well against Goldson once, the first time they played against each other. Has he got the better of him since?

My issue is with targeting squad players. We done it in the summer and it didn’t work. With an expansive, evergrowing recruitment team we should be able to sign players who push others to the bench.

We have so much deadwood its frightening.

Zilch. Thats all it takes to make someone a player for people on here.

IMO this is the team that can stop the 10. Full of passion and physicality. Won’t get bullied and will put in some hard tackles!

McGregor
Hutton Katic Edmundson Halliday
Jones Docherty Ferguson Murphy
Dykes Main

Looks good, but you forgot big Uche "gives you something different" Ikpeazu. Maybe we could bring back Louis Hoult to Scotland as well?

Dykes will never be what Morelos is. They are completely different style of footballers.

We struggle at times with Morelos in the team, then he produces a piece of magic that downs the opposition. Do you see Dykes doing that because I don't.

Bar his effort that hit the post yesterday he didn't do that much bar take a few long throw ins.

People are talking about selling Morelos, Tavernier, Goldson and bringing in the likes of a Dykes. Same people expect a league title. Your not going to get a league title if your continue to fill a said with mediocrity.
It’s horses for courses isn’t it.
I am not advocating signing Dykes, just that he would be a decent option and give us a different dimension to our game when required.

Back