Katic - Lyndon Dykes almost on same level as Morelos

We need to get away from signing squad players, we need to start having a squad that’s got genuine quality on the bench. That’s why I wouldn’t sign dykes, he’s ok but going forward if we want to win the league we need to have a different transfer policy were it is quality or quantity. Something that Ross Wilson will hopefully provide

Then why does he play for Livingston? Is it just Bad luck coupled with poor career choices or might it just be the guy is an extremely limited footballer who is simply capable of putting himself about a bit.

Sorry but this is a very blinkered way of looking at player recruitment. Footballers (particularly ones who haven't graduated through an academy) progress at different rates.

Look at the player we got in Glen Kamara for £50k from Dundee.

Kamberi was available that day, to come on loan.

Do you honestly believe Livingston would have loaned us Dykes or let him go for a pittance?

And if Gerrard didn't rate Dykes, why was his name even mentioned?

If Gerrard rated Dykes he'd be at Rangers trust me.

Sorry but this is a very blinkered way of looking at player recruitment. Footballers (particularly ones who haven't graduated through an academy) progress at different rates.

Look at the player we got in Glen Kamara for £50k from Dundee.

Not blinkered rather an opinion based on what I've seen of him over the last couple of seasons and not only v us. The Kamara situation I've already addressed earlier in the thread.

Same could be asked why Glenn Kamara was playing for Dundee.

People on here complain about lack of options and no plan B. Dykes would certainly give us a different option.

Yeah ,already referenced Kamara as to why we should never turn our nose up at lesser clubs players if they show the potential to play at a much higher level. Kamara was an established international while at Dundee with very obvious qualities. Dykes imo (for what it's worth) hasn't shown anything that suggests to me he could make the same step up. I see another o'halloran in the making. Only an opinion but there you are.

It doesn't though in the case of Hagi and Vydra had it happened, we could have bought them had it worked out and if it didn't we would have continued scouting for long term options.

Anyway, the striker isn't the issue when we struggle against the low block, it's the midfield so the argument for Dykes is flawed to begin with

Nonsense it's not flawed whatsoever.

Are you about 14??

If Katic really believes this it's the sort of thing he should be informing our backroom staff of instead of a national newspaper.

While I disagree with Niko's high opinion of Dykes

This is just one player giving another player a compliment

It's hardly going to cause shock waves in the transfer market

Then why does he play for Livingston? Is it just Bad luck coupled with poor career choices or might it just be the guy is an extremely limited footballer who is simply capable of putting himself about a bit.

Why was Kamara playing for Dundee? Why was Alfie in Finland and available for such a low fee?

There are plenty of good players who haven’t made a move to a big club yet for various reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes toEngland next season. I think he would have been a good investment for us in the winter.

Why was Kamara playing for Dundee? Why was Alfie in Finland and available for such a low fee?

There are plenty of good players who haven’t made a move to a big club yet for various reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes toEngland next season. I think he would have been a good investment for us in the winter.

Again READ THE WHOLE THREAD

Morelos has scored 29 goals this season alone and is a full Columbia international .

How many has Dykes scored ?

This is getting bonkers .

Morelos has scored 29 goals this season alone and is a full Columbia international .

How many has Dykes scored ?

This is getting bonkers .

How can you make this a point Dykes has never played in Europe, you can really only judge them on the league and cups goals.
Morelos has done better but not surprising he's in a stronger team with better players.

Not saying Dykes the answer to our problems but we cannot just discount every player as he's not at a fancied club.

How can you make this a point Dykes has never played in Europe, you can really only judge them on the league and cups goals.
Morelos has done better but not surprising he's in a stronger team with better players.

Not saying Dykes the answer to our problems but we cannot just discount every player as he's not at a fancied club.

Im not the one comparing them mate that’s my point .

It’s a ludicrous comparison on too many levels .

A collective madness seems to ensue when it becomes apparent we are not winning the title , it was the same last season , some on here wanted Alfie punted for £8 million for example .

I know it’s difficult but we need to grasp reality .

Until the vast financial gulf and referee bias/fear are both sorted out , we are farting against thunder we really are .

Yeah ,already referenced Kamara as to why we should never turn our nose up at lesser clubs players if they show the potential to play at a much higher level. Kamara was an established international while at Dundee with very obvious qualities. Dykes imo (for what it's worth) hasn't shown anything that suggests to me he could make the same step up. I see another o'halloran in the making. Only an opinion but there you are.

I understand your opinion - O'Halloran, Nicky Clark were brought in after good performances against Rangers and they didn't work out.....I accept that point.

Maybe am wrong but I don't think Morelos had been capped for Colombia before we signed him?

There is a clear gap in our options up front in that we don't have anyone with an obvious ability in the air.

We have thuggish defenders double or treble up on Morelos - especially at Ibrox. Instead of tippy tappy football trying to play around/through them, a target man would give us greater return from the crosses from Tav & Borna into the box.

Anyway - I don't think he is the sort of player Gerrard is looking at so probably waste of time discussing it.

I think he could do us a turn,playing in a team that creates more,albeit not right now but gives us a different option,was unlucky with that volley of post,good technique.

I'd take him. He ran the yahoos ragged when they beat that lot 2-0 as well and he scored. He's been very decent any time I've seen him play.

I’ve kept quiet but I have to say I actually don’t think he’d be a bad option. At the very least he makes life awkward for defenders and he’s clearly capable of knicking a goal.

While Defoe is a brilliant scorer I feel in certain games he’s just too easy for defenders to deal with when it comes to a physical battle, which it so often does in this league.

Katic should just worry about his own performances and to stop charging about the pitch like a headless chicken giving the ball away.

With English not being Katic's first language I'd suggest he means on the physical side of the game.

A nothing story really.

Davie Cooper Clydebank
AllySt Johnstone
Stein Hibs
See where I'm going here ? Have to play for someone

You can't compare Dykes to a player with 14 goals in Europe before Christmas.

But he did play well yesterday, and gave Katic as hard a game as just about any striker has in our league. And Niko presumably marks Alfredo in training so can say he has played against both.

Still not bought into the idea we should sign him, but it's obvious he is way too good to stay at Livingston.

Walter always used to pick up the best players in Scotland he thought could do a job for us.
I think we have allowed Celtic to snap up the best players here for too long. We have no right to be snobbish about players, we are close to a decade now without winning anything.
Dykes isn’t good enough. We need two quality strikers in the summer (one if Alfie stays although extremely unlikely). There is no Kamara, Christie,McGinn currently in the league, none who’d improve us. (Bar pre injury Turnbull)

Bang on.

Patson Zaka will be that player, who they signed from Africa for nothing but will sell for +£20m.

Luckily we have Ross Wilson in charge now, and I fully trust him with recruitment. Someone who casts his net out far and wide.
I read an article about Salzburg’s recruitment and it’s frightening how detailed and the planning that goes into it. As you say that boy will replace Haaland, but it said in the article they already have Zaka’s Replacement on their books. Once we start selling players I doubt our budgets will be much different, no reason why we can’t try and emulate what Salzburg do.

I'm just going to use two guys we've been linked with as an example:

When Morelos leaves, Rangers should sign a pairing like Guirassy and Marić. We shouldn't sign one of them and then say "Defoe is second choice, let's get Dykes to sit in the stand"

We will never grow as a club with such unambitious recruitment
Would love for that Guirassy. When explained to me his in depth numbers look really good. We need a pair of two top quality strikers to replace Alfie

Back