Katic news

Such a shame for Niko. Seeing the pics of him on returning to training he’s clearly been working hard getting himself fit for the coming season and to try to cement a place in the team. I know some of us don’t rate him too highly but I like the guy and feel he will have a big role to play for us when he returns from this setback.

Even though I don’t truly believe he ever had a shot at being a regular starter (not under current management anyway) I’m still absolutely gutted for him because in spite of set backs with performance he still seems to work his bollocks off to better himself and he’s certainly a great back up to have.

Also have to say a really like Kranjcar, was obviously done as an athlete by the time he came here (the brain was still razor sharp but his body failed him) but I know he also worked his arse off in the gym to try and keep stay as fit as possible whilst playing for us.

Even though I don’t truly believe he ever had a shot at being a regular starter (not under current management anyway) I’m still absolutely gutted for him because in spite of set backs with performance he still seems to work his bollocks off to better himself and he’s certainly a great back up to have.

Also have to say a really like Kranjcar, was obviously done as an athlete by the time he came here (the brain was still razor sharp but his body failed him) but I know he also worked his arse off in the gym to try and keep stay as fit as possible whilst playing for us.
I was hoping the coming season would see Katic established in the first team. He is a warrior and will fight back from this.

I was hoping the coming season would see Katic established in the first team. He is a warrior and will fight back from this.
He's young enough to develop the attributes he currently lacks but as it stands he is nowhere near Helander or Goldson.

Another reason the injury is devastating, it's taken months away from him to work towards that.

I don’t think it was ever going to happen, Gerrard clearly doesn’t fancy him as a long term first choice pick and always seemed to wait for the first gaff to stick him back on the bench.

I don’t think it was ever going to happen, Gerrard clearly doesn’t fancy him as a long term first choice pick and always seemed to wait for the first gaff to stick him back on the bench.
Agreed, quite a few other players made mistakes and were allowed to keep their place.

Gerrard clearly does like him a lot, when he does well he gets more praise than anyone but on the flipside he does get publicly slated more than anyone when he's made a mistake.

He has always trusted Katic until he's given him reason not to. That doesn't excuse the public slating though.

Gerrard clearly does like him a lot, when he does well he gets more praise than anyone but on the flipside he does get publicly slated more than anyone when he's made a mistake.

He has always trusted Katic until he's given him reason not to. That doesn't excuse the public slating though.

You’ve actually included a detail in there that demonstrates he doesn’t ‘like him a lot’. If you really like Katic a lot you don’t protect Goldson and stay hush hush after his gaffs, keep picking him every week, and then publicly slate a young defender and stick him on the bench after any prominent mistake. That just doesn’t correlate, I think he likes having him as a back up, I don’t think he ever has or had any intention of making him a first pick. I really do think Niko has been treated shabbily in that respect.

You’ve actually included a detail in there that demonstrates he doesn’t ‘like him a lot’. If you really like Katic a lot you don’t protect Goldson and stay hush hush after his gaffs, keep picking him every week, and then publicly slate a young defender and stick him on the bench after any prominent mistake. That just doesn’t correlate, I think he likes having him as a back up, I don’t think he ever has or had any intention of making him a first pick. I really do think Niko has been treated really shabbily in that respect.
He can like Katic and recognise that he isn't good enough to be a regular starter yet because he blatantly isn't.

Read/watch Gerrard's comments on Katic at the beginning of every spell he's had starting, clearly loves him but gets frustrated by him.

He can like Katic and recognise that he isn't good enough to be a regular starter yet because he blatantly isn't.

Read/watch Gerrard's comments on Katic at the beginning of every spell he's had starting, clearly loves him but gets frustrated by him.

But he blatantly turns a blind eye to Goldson’s errors? He’s the older more experienced defender too. Let’s not forget he was dropped for a bumbling Forest loanee last season too, on the back of some excellent displays to get us into the Europa League. In the first half of last season Katic performed better than Goldson but there was never a chance of him retaining his place or of Goldson being the one to make way for Helander and we all said that at the time, and sure enough - Goldson has some ropey games, no change in the defence, then Katic has a couple of poor games and boom, he was out of there in a flash.

When has that ever happened to his central defensive partner? I think there’s a lot of fans who have a real blindspot for Goldson too, it’s not just Gerrard. You won’t hear anyone say Katic is the finished article, most will acknowledge he has to really improve on parts of his game, but at the same time Goldson cocks up with far more regularity than you’d think by reading this forum or looking at the way the gaffer treats both of them, but he knows he’s bulletproof and he knows he’s starting every week regardless.

Read/watch Gerrard throwing Katic to the wolves up in Perth, then read/watch his post match interviews after Goldson selling us up the river and you’ll see a marked difference in the sense that Goldson isn’t singled out at all.

This isn't true though. The fact is, Niko has such huge potential and is capable of herculean performances, however when you analyse his game he remains poor on the ball and his positioning is still out of whack. Goldson looks a far better player with Helander alongside him because he isn't having to coach him through the game like he does with Katic often.

Our only real goal threat from set pieces, hoping Hellander can step up because Goldson is woeful!

Gutted for Niko, I've got no doubt he will put the work in to recover from this. He's young enough, he's in good hands and certainly has the work ethic for it.

But he blatantly turns a blind eye to Goldson’s errors? He’s the older more experienced defender too. Let’s not forget he was dropped for a bumbling Forest loanee last season too, on the back of some excellent displays to get us into the Europa League. In the first half of last season Katic performed better than Goldson but there was never a chance of him retaining his place or of Goldson being the one to make way for Helander and we all said that at the time, and sure enough - Goldson has some ropey games, no change in the defence, then Katic has a couple of poor games and boom, he was out of there in a flash.

When has that ever happened to his central defensive partner? I think there’s a lot of fans who have a real blindspot for Goldson too, it’s not just Gerrard. You won’t hear anyone say Katic is the finished article, most will acknowledge he has to really improve on parts of his game, but at the same time Goldson cocks up with far more regularity than you’d think by reading this forum or looking at the way the gaffer treats both of them, but he knows he’s bulletproof and he knows he’s starting every week regardless.

Read/watch Gerrard throwing Katic to the wolves up in Perth, then read/watch his post match interviews after Goldson selling us up the river and you’ll see a marked difference in the sense that Goldson isn’t singled out at all.
Goldson starts every week because he is the best central defender at the club alongside Helander.

He doesn't get criticised as much but that doesn't mean Gerrard hates Katic.

A common theme of Katic's fanclub is they all seem to dislike Goldson

Croatian manager showing support and letting him know it hasn't killed his Euro 2021 aspirations is news in my book

This^^^^.

In Niko's situation it is always good to have long term targets in amongst the day at a time stuff he'll have to endure. Something to aim for which will do him the world of good.

Pleased the Croatia boss has been quick to offer support.

Goldson starts every week because he is the best central defender at the club alongside Helander.

He doesn't get criticised as much but that doesn't mean Gerrard hates Katic.

A common theme of Katic's fanclub is they all seem to dislike Goldson

Lazy argument. I’ll just turn that around and say it’s a common theme of the Goldson fanclub to focus intensely on Katic’s errors while ignoring Goldson’s.

If Goldson is the best centre half at the club then I’d love for him to start showing it on the park, to do that he’d have to perform better consistently than the other centre backs at the club, and he isn’t exactly doing that. The biggest difference between the pair is the way in which they are treated by the gaffer, and given or domestic record isn’t good, I think people are more than entitled to ask questions and cast doubt.

Lazy argument. I’ll just turn that around and say it’s a common theme of the Goldson fanclub to focus intensely on Katic’s errors while ignoring Goldson’s.

If Goldson is the best centre half at the club then I’d love for him to start showing it on the park, to do that he’d have to perform better consistently than the other centre backs at the club, and he isn’t exactly doing that. The biggest difference between the pair is the way in which they are treated by the gaffer, and given or domestic record isn’t good, I think people are more than entitled to ask questions and cast doubt.
I'll just turn around and say you're focusing intensely on Goldson's errors while ignoring Katic's, It's the only way I can rationalise your "well he needs to start showing it" comment as he does 9 games out of 10. Katic and Edmundson are nowhere near the consistency level of the other two, if you think Goldson and Helander are also inconsistent then it reflects even worse on NK and GE.

People are entitled to ask questions and criticise the managers comments about both players, yes. They're not allowed to assert that the manager must hate the player.

I'll just turn around and say you're focusing intensely on Goldson's errors while ignoring Katic's, It's the only way I can rationalise your "well he needs to start showing it" comment as he does 9 games out of 10. Katic and Edmundson are nowhere near the consistency level of the other two, if you think Goldson and Helander are also inconsistent then it reflects even worse on NK and GE.

People are entitled to ask questions and criticise the managers comments about both players, yes. They're not allowed to assert that the manager must hate the player.

Then you need to get your eyes checked because I haven’t ignored Katic’s errors at all, I’ve already made reference to them and the fact he has to greatly improve parts of his game, on this thread. If you really think Goldson shows it 9 times out of 10, then I’d suggest the issue goes well beyond poor eyesight. Moving on...

Firstly, I didn’t say he “hates” Katic so let’s leave the hyperbolic pish at the door, secondly, I actually am allowed to form and state any opinion I want - and my opinion is that he doesn’t particularly like Katic and that opinion is backed up by pretty solid evidence and accounts of what has gone on over the past 2 seasons.

Then you need to get your eyes checked because I haven’t ignored Katic’s errors at all, I’ve already made reference to them and the fact he has to greatly improve parts of his game, on this thread. If you really think Goldson shows it 9 times out of 10, then I’d suggest the issue goes well beyond poor eyesight. Moving on...

Firstly, I didn’t say he “hates” Katic so let’s leave the hyperbolic pish at the door, secondly, I actually am allowed to form and state any opinion I want - and my opinion is that he doesn’t particularly like Katic and that opinion is backed up by pretty solid evidence and accounts of what has gone on over the past 2 seasons.
Yep, you're allowed your opinion.

"I never said he hates Katic, it's just clear to me that he doesn't like him"

You are the biggest faux-inellectual on here, it's embarrassing

Yep, you're allowed your opinion.

"I never said he hates Katic, it's just clear to me that he doesn't like him"

You are the biggest faux-inellectual on here, it's embarrassing

So because I’ve got a marginally bigger vocabulary and can differentiate between “hate” and “like” I’m a faux intellectual? Or is it maybe just the case that you’re in a cream puff because I’ve made my point and cited a few incidents to back my point up and you don’t like it?

But fair enough mate, I wouldn’t say I was any brighter than most but you believe what you want.

So because I’ve got a marginally bigger vocabulary and can differentiate between “hate” and “like” I’m a faux intellectual? Or is it maybe just the case that you’re in a cream puff because I’ve made my point and cited a few incidents to back my point up and you don’t like it?

But fair enough mate, I wouldn’t say I was any brighter than most but you believe what you want.
You're a faux intellectual because you're arguing as if your position is anything more than the complete assumption it is.

Playing the semantics card when I've used a synonym paraphrasing you is pathetic, it's a football forum not a live debate.

You're a faux intellectual because you're arguing as if your position is anything more than the complete assumption it is.

Playing the semantics card when I've used a synonym paraphrasing you is pathetic, it's a football forum not a live debate.

Fucking brilliant :D

I’m not even going to point out the irony here. Have a good one mate!

You’ve actually included a detail in there that demonstrates he doesn’t ‘like him a lot’. If you really like Katic a lot you don’t protect Goldson and stay hush hush after his gaffs, keep picking him every week, and then publicly slate a young defender and stick him on the bench after any prominent mistake. That just doesn’t correlate, I think he likes having him as a back up, I don’t think he ever has or had any intention of making him a first pick. I really do think Niko has been treated shabbily in that respect.

Again you keep reading my mind.
Uncanny.

Nice to see him getting encouragement from international level too. Katic has huge potential and he’s bulked up to combat the physical side of the game.

I wish him well, have a soft spot for him.

Get well soon big man. Your ability in the air will be missed, a la goal against them.

We will be told the operation was a success... Months later he will be doing well. Then he will be possibly in line for a return to training, but then he will have to go for a wee tidy up job.
It will sadly be a lost season for the lad.
But as he is a defender there is a decent chance he can return from the injury as the player he was before.

Gutted for Niko, he looked in good shape and should only be getting better at his age. Gutted for the team because he’s established and knows the game plan.

I still think we 4 reliable CBs with our fixture list. Is Mayo up to it yet. Can only hope so. I’m really torn on whether you promote a youngster more often to fill in, or if you spend on a replacement. Thankfully I’m not in charge!

Back